News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Some thoughts on racism

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 29, 2020, 03:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

Everyone bleeds red, everyone does, nobody is more important,or more special than anyone else.

billy rubin

so nobody can define CRT for me, in like, a paragrah?

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

CRT is a college level course designed for law students.

No one

Basically, examining how certain social constructs are affected, and shaped by the society's view on ethnicity, skin color and such.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on June 26, 2023, 12:51:42 PMso nobody can define CRT for me, in like, a paragrah?
I can do that - shallowly.

It is a movement based around the idea that race is a socially constructed tool used to oppress people of colour. As No one pointed out, it is also a legal framework based on or around the aforementioned premise and the notion of "built-in" racism in law.

Quote from: No one on June 26, 2023, 11:37:28 AMEveryone bleeds red, everyone does, nobody is more important,or more special than anyone else.
And yet some people are more important than others, others are more special, and some are even both. There are ways of measuring such like. The only way to argue for everyone having the same value is to abstain from actual measurement or limit the scope of the statement. Granted, that's the feel-good go-to solution, but unless, as mentioned, you put some constraints on your statement, such as legal equality for citizens or such like, it does not stand up to scrutiny. There are people who buy more kilometers of new road for the wider society in a year than I am likely to in a lifetime. There are people who play videogames in their childhood room until they are forty, then drain the welfare system until they die. There are people who create new energy sources or modify new ones. There are people who beg for coins on street corners. While it may not be easy to assign specific value to any of them, there are certainly ways of assigning relative values against each other. You could for example weigh their contributions to innovation, current day running expenses, art, maintenance of the society... Such like.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

When death comes for those extra special really important people, how many more seconds will it buy them?

Asmodean

Seconds of what? Life? From none to decades. Lasting legacy? From none to millennia.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

When death comes for you, it's time to go. No matter who you are. You get zero more seconds. None. Hooman affairs matter little once you get outside their tiny arrogant bubble.

Asmodean

That is just incorrect. While a lot of people live in "barely post-Industrial" conditions, if that, postponing death has become something of an art in some parts of the world and for some levels of "special and important."

There are people who avoid death multiple times over the course of several decades - and the special and the important are usually far better positioned to do so than "the rest."

That said though, you have narrowed the scope of your statement and as such, it makes more overall sense if properly formulated. For example, "After the cessation of resuscitation attempts with no success, we are all just rotting meat."

EDIT: just for the sake of me being argumentative, even then we have different value. Some have stuff like useful lungs and kidneys what can be recycled. Some can be used to fertilise daisies. Some will "just" end up in a deep hole, or get cremated and dumped somewhere. There is different value to those outcomes in different respects.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on June 26, 2023, 12:51:42 PMso nobody can define CRT for me, in like, a paragrah?

I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't get it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Oh, far from it. It's rather on the esoteric side as "scientific" litterature goes. Well, perhaps "esoteric" is not the correct term... Perhaps. It's more... Inconsistent, in a Post-Modernist sort of sense.

Actually, I'll permit myself to steal a quote from Marcus, who summed  it up rather neatly;

Quote from: MarcusA on June 23, 2023, 08:25:03 PMCritical Race Theory is just plain bonkers.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Icarus on June 26, 2023, 04:20:55 AMRace is not only about black people it is also about anyone who is not us.

That statement is not correct. As far as I know, You  and I are members of the Caucasian race. That makes race something about you and me as well. And BTW, I've seen many examples of people, who are not like us, who made horrible racist remarks or act as racists.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

No one

Asmo, let me know one person who stayed off death, when it was time to die. Whoever you think you are, it does not impress death one bit.

Asmodean

Death is not a conscious creature. It being "impressed" is an invalid statement. As for someone who avoided death, any gunshot victim who was successfully resuscitated, any near-drowning who got rescued, pretty much any cancer patient in long-term remission.

Or is it specific names you want, because I can find many. I even know someone who has been dead, and yet is very much alive today.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

once i fell dpwn on my motorcycle at around 115 mph. didnt die, but got some serious road rash

havent fallen down since, but i go a lot faster

set the function, not the mechanism.