News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Some thoughts on racism

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 29, 2020, 03:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: MarcusA on June 24, 2023, 03:42:51 AMIn life, everything is related to me.

No it fucking isn't. I am also getting seriously fed up with your pointless one line comments.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

Lebensraum in the West Bank.
Don't tell me that the Jews are not acting like Nazis there.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Anne D.

Quote from: Icarus on June 24, 2023, 03:31:38 AM
Quote from: MarcusA on June 23, 2023, 08:25:03 PMCritical Race Theory is just plain bonkers.

I do not believe that you are in a position to comment on the American concept of CRT.

I presume that you have your own position with regard to the "aboes". I am not in a position to comment about Aussie Attitudes toward your Aboriginals. Therefore I will not comment about your countries historic treatment of the indigenous people.

How about you lighten up with the one liners.  Instead, try to carry on a meaningful conversation with the rest of us.?  Not many of us are interested and some of us,including me, are annoyed by your continuous inconsequential posts. For the record we have some other Aussie members who contribute to our little group in an interesting or useful way. To their credit they do not tend to dominate the entire forum.  Surely you can participate in a normal fashion as well.

Wild applause.

billy rubin

marcus is okay. accept him for what he is --  a vast and churning idea generator. besides, i like his poetry.

but i am till interested in critical race theory. as i understand it, it is a fairly prescribed post-graduate curriculum that examines the role of race in politics and society in the united states.

im from oklahoma. this picture ws taken in 1910 about 50 miles from where i was born:

laura and her son lawrence nelson.

notice the fancy clothes and the little white kids on the bridge?

in my country, the president of the united states lives in a big house built by slaves. the economy of half my coubntry was founded on slave laboutr. my great grandfather went to war on the side of the slaveholders, to keep the society intact that exploited both the slaves and his own family.

the disparity is self evident to me. i went to college in a town where twenty years before you would be arrested if you were caught inside city limits while black. or worse. (see the picture?) prosperous cities where i lived as a an adult had paved alleys in the white sections, and dirt roads in front of the houses in the black sections. black people were afraid to talk to me in stores, and would step away to let me go first if i walked in before they were checked out in cashier lines.

people would tell me nigger jokes to introduce themselves to me at parties. cops would sic their dogs on black people for fun, and would boast about it.

so just what is new in critical race theory? whats the big deal? acknowledging reality?

im not sure i will learn anything from it.

set the function, not the mechanism.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: billy rubin on June 24, 2023, 05:10:45 PMso just what is new in critical race theory? whats the big deal? acknowledging reality?

im not sure i will learn anything from it.

I suppose extremists will question the reality.
Isn't the question what you do about it?
Do you subsidise education based on economic status alone or  skew it on a racial basis?
I can see why you would but not everyone is going to like it, food for the culture wars.

MarcusA

Race is a bad thing to base anything on. Democracy is a meritocracy. Individual merit should not be overshadowed by any other considerations.

billy rubin

the current system was built on racial dispaity, with conscious bias based on race. racial dispar ity maintains it.

i would assist communities based on race unti l everybody has caught up. education, business loans, neighbourhood renewel.

once inequities are abolished, racially focused assistance can be abolished

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: billy rubin on June 25, 2023, 03:38:09 AMthe current system was built on racial dispaity, with conscious bias based on race. racial dispar ity maintains it.

i would assist communities based on race unti l everybody has caught up. education, business loans, neighbourhood renewel.

Sure, morality/fairness aside having a racial underclass costs society, crime, imprisonment, underutilisation of resources.
For fairness, (as some subjectively judge it,) some care needs to be taken not to get too far out of balance, between helping different groups of poor. Do you give to middle class members of your target group and not to poor whites?

When Will Smith slapped that guy at the Oscars, I heard woke warriors discussing how it was due to historical white oppression.  Ye well maybe a bit but things can go too far, automatic blame of others doesn't seem healthy.

billy rubin

[/quote]
Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on June 25, 2023, 04:51:04 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on June 25, 2023, 03:38:09 AMthe current system was built on racial dispaity, with conscious bias based on race. racial dispar ity maintains it.

Sure, morality/fairness aside having a racial underclass costs society, crime, imprisonment, underutilisation of resources.
For fairness, (as some subjectively judge it,) some care needs to be taken not to get too far out of balance, between helping different groups of poor. Do you give to middle class members of your target group and not to poor whites?

When Will Smith slapped that guy at the Oscars, I heard woke warriors discussing how it was due to historical white oppression.  Ye well maybe a bit but things can go too far, automatic blame of others doesn't seem healthy.

the devil is in the details, always. i would squarely targrt thr inequities, not the individuals and not based on race alone. im not interested in blame, just in fixing whatbis obviously wrong. i said i would use race as a criteria but only because those commumities are the ones lagging behind. there shouldnt be a race-based system, but ignoring race doesnt take into account thst it was race thst caused a olot of these problems in the first place.

for example, we have a problem with low wages because of low job opportunities. i would target al l communities that are on the bottom there and invest in ecucation, business, home ownership and job oppor tunities in those places preferentially. it would end up preferentially assisting the members of a racial underclass but not because of their skin color. rather, it would hel p them becsuse thry are the ones living where we are having the problem.

weve talked about reparations elsewhere i think. i am not in favour of payments to people, but i am in favur of programs aimed at large groups.

Icarus

Race is not only about black people it is also about anyone who is not us.

I now, ashamedly, live in Florida, my legislators and their leader DeSantis, have invented and installed several laws that will decimate the Hispanic immigrants and some who are legal citizens.  The new laws have caused a minor, even a major, exodus of those Hispanic immigrants. 

The problem is that we need those incredibly hard working people. They typically work in the agricultural, construction, and hospitality industries. More than a few of those industries will suffer serious harm because they will no longer have adequate labor force needed to continue in business.

Florida, for example, is the largest producer of Tomatoes in the the country. A local large ag firm that grows tomatoes, and employs more than 600 people, will go bust. Of course the cost of tomatoes will increase to an unaffordable level. That is just tomatoes. The roofing contractors will be devastated because their employees are mostly Mexican or Gautemolans. Concrete finishers too are largely Hispanic.

Our Republican legislator jack offs have shit in their, and my, own mess kits with their stupid attitudes toward the hardest workers in the whole country. What the dumbass legislators have ignored is the fact that the illegals and their families are responsible for generating 30 billion in tax revenue per annum. These people pay into the federal social security system but they do not qualify for return when they reach retirement age.

I am angry. My Repub legislators and their crackpot leader have shit for brains. One more thing! The Hispanics are not the habitual criminals that they are accused of being. Statistically their crime rate is less than the white crime rate per capita. Those Jesus freak legislators have done more harm that merely banning books. 

MarcusA

Might is always right be damned. Australia has refugees in indefinite detention because they're not white.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on June 24, 2023, 03:31:38 AMI do not believe that you are in a position to comment on the American concept of CRT.
It's a bit like saying that only parents are in a position to opine on raising kids or that you need to be a bus driver to understand what it's like. Somewhat satisfying, but fallacious.

I am not American, and yet my opinion of critical race theory is probably more informed than that of many americans who also do have one. Conversely, if you want to opine on the politics surrounding Norwegian ethnic minorities, I welcome that conversation. If you are wrong and I know better, I'll just correct you, but you don't have to ever have set foot on the same continent as I to have a legitimate point of view, and perhaps one better informed than my own at that.

As for the content of critical race theory, I may or may not jump into it since a. it will require formidable walls of text and b. some people tend to get their undies all wedged into their butt crack when them grounds are not trodden like they were paved with egg shells. Not that I'm averse to drama, you see, but it's very time consuming and I'm what they call "lazy." :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2023, 07:48:49 AM
Quote from: Icarus on June 24, 2023, 03:31:38 AMI do not believe that you are in a position to comment on the American concept of CRT.
It's a bit like saying that only parents are in a position to opine on raising kids or that you need to be a bus driver to understand what it's like. Somewhat satisfying, but fallacious.

I am not American, and yet my opinion of critical race theory is probably more informed than that of many americans who also do have one. Conversely, if you want to opine on the politics surrounding Norwegian ethnic minorities, I welcome that conversation. If you are wrong and I know better, I'll just correct you, but you don't have to ever have set foot on the same continent as I to have a legitimate point of view, and perhaps one better informed than my own at that.

As for the content of critical race theory, I may or may not jump into it since a. it will require formidable walls of text and b. some people tend to get their undies all wedged into their butt crack when them grounds are not trodden like they were paved with egg shells. Not that I'm averse to drama, you see, but it's very time consuming and I'm what they call "lazy." :smilenod:

That's right, those Americans are too close to the problem, you need an ocean between you and the issue to have proper perspective.

And parents, they by definition have been tricked by evolution into to having children, and in some cases even liking them.  They've had their heads totally screwed up, they can't possibly have a valid opinion.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on June 26, 2023, 10:19:39 AMThat's right, those Americans are too close to the problem, you need an ocean between you and the issue to have proper perspective.
That's not at all what I said though. You don't need to be an ocean away - you can make legitimate arguments from personal experience or from research - or both. At least, that is the case if by "proper" perspective you mean "legitimate," as opposed to "that, with which I agree."

QuoteAnd parents, they by definition have been tricked by evolution into to having children, and in some cases even liking them.  They've had their heads totally screwed up, they can't possibly have a valid opinion.
They can and often do, but then, so can I - If nothing else, for having been a child and being perfectly capable of reflecting on many of the things my own parents did correctly and the ways in which they wronged me. Personally, I prefer approaching such like from the application of intellect rather than "baggage," since the latter becomes less relevant on larger scales. However, on a micro-scale it can be as valid (perhaps more so) as the more "academic" approach.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on June 26, 2023, 04:20:55 AMRace is not only about black people it is also about anyone who is not us.

I now, ashamedly, live in Florida, my legislators and their leader DeSantis, have invented and installed several laws that will decimate the Hispanic immigrants and some who are legal citizens.  The new laws have caused a minor, even a major, exodus of those Hispanic immigrants. 

The problem is that we need those incredibly hard working people. They typically work in the agricultural, construction, and hospitality industries. More than a few of those industries will suffer serious harm because they will no longer have adequate labor force needed to continue in business.

Florida, for example, is the largest producer of Tomatoes in the the country. A local large ag firm that grows tomatoes, and employs more than 600 people, will go bust. Of course the cost of tomatoes will increase to an unaffordable level. That is just tomatoes. The roofing contractors will be devastated because their employees are mostly Mexican or Gautemolans. Concrete finishers too are largely Hispanic.

Our Republican legislator jack offs have shit in their, and my, own mess kits with their stupid attitudes toward the hardest workers in the whole country. What the dumbass legislators have ignored is the fact that the illegals and their families are responsible for generating 30 billion in tax revenue per annum. These people pay into the federal social security system but they do not qualify for return when they reach retirement age.

I am angry. My Repub legislators and their crackpot leader have shit for brains. One more thing! The Hispanics are not the habitual criminals that they are accused of being. Statistically their crime rate is less than the white crime rate per capita. Those Jesus freak legislators have done more harm that merely banning books. 

Exactly the same with Brexit. Many companies in the agriculture and entertainment industries have been badly hit. The issue has been exacerbated by Covid. As the entertainment industry shut down people found other better jobs and didn't come back. On our recent holiday in Tenby, a seaside town totally reliant on visitors, every single shop and restaurant has signs in their windows advertising for staff. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.