News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Some thoughts on racism

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 29, 2020, 03:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

I appreciate Ari Melber's work. Trumpists and fellow travellers don't have any interest in what he's saying though. 
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on August 30, 2022, 06:58:45 AMI appreciate Ari Melber's work. Trumpists and fellow travellers don't have any interest in what he's saying though. 

Yes, this is why they continue to give alternative facts.

;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

No one

Humans are such easy prey, it's not really "hunting".

Asmodean

Quote from: Magdalena on July 16, 2021, 08:16:24 AMIt doesn't look as if the majority believe and agree that all men are created equal. Maybe half of the nation believes it. The other half feels privileged.
I neither believe it nor agree with it at face value.

The statement "all men are created equal" is false in the sense that some are born with physical and/or mental handicaps. Others are born to parents who suck at parenting. Others still are born into poverty. Others are born to just ye regular normal parents - in central Mongolia. The list of "creation stories" is pretty much as long as the list of people thusly created. So, one has to ask, equal how?

One answer is that in a "civilised" society, every citizen of said society is created as a legal equal to every other citizen - what one may and may not do, another may and may not the same. There are exceptions; children cannot vote, for example, and for that they get a few rights the adults don't have. Still, if that's all there is to equality, then what's the problem?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Death is the great equalizer.

It doesn't give a single flying fuck about any mental/physical issues. Nor does it care about your shitty parents, or your fortune, or any of your human bullshit.

When it's time to go, it's time to go.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on August 30, 2022, 11:57:37 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 16, 2021, 08:16:24 AMIt doesn't look as if the majority believe and agree that all men are created equal. Maybe half of the nation believes it. The other half feels privileged.

The statement "all men are created equal" is false in the sense that some are born with physical and/or mental handicaps. Others are born to parents who suck at parenting. Others still are born into poverty. Others are born to just ye regular normal parents - in central Mongolia. The list of "creation stories" is pretty much as long as the list of people thusly created. So, one has to ask, equal how?

One answer is that in a "civilised" society, every citizen of said society is created as a legal equal to every other citizen - what one may and may not do, another may and may not the same. There are exceptions; children cannot vote, for example, and for that, they get a few rights the adults don't have. Still, if that's all there is to equality, then what's the problem?

We are all equal because we are all made of star stuff. Oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus.
But some started nit-picking as soon as we came out of the uterus just to support, justify, and enforce their sense of superiority and entitlement. That's the problem.

:reading: --Just my opinion.

Don't wish to engage in an "unnecessarily argumentative" conversation. Thank you.  ;D

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Magdalena on August 30, 2022, 07:03:52 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on August 30, 2022, 11:57:37 AM

One answer is that in a "civilised" society, every citizen of said society is created as a legal equal to every other citizen - what one may and may not do, another may and may not the same. There are exceptions; children cannot vote, for example, and for that, they get a few rights the adults don't have. Still, if that's all there is to equality, then what's the problem?

We are all equal because we are all made of star stuff. Oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus.
But some started nick-picking as soon as we came out of the uterus just to support, justify, and enforce their sense of superiority and entitlement. That's the problem.

Don't wish to engage in an "unnecessarily argumentative" conversation. Thank you.  ;D

NVM.

Asmodean

Quote from: Magdalena on August 30, 2022, 07:03:52 PMWe are all equal because we are all made of star stuff. Oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus.
But some started nit-picking as soon as we came out of the uterus just to support, justify, and enforce their sense of superiority and entitlement. That's the problem.

No problem. I can accept belonging to the same species as an answer - or being constructed of the same materials, or even out of a nebula of a single dead star.

I actually have no point beyond this; there are ways, in which we are equal. There are others, in which we are not. It is no more self-evident that we should be equal in the latter, than that we should not in the former.

Quote from: No one on August 30, 2022, 01:32:39 PMDeath is the great equalizer.
Personally, I think any sort of social equality does not apply to dead people, although... Some dead people are William Shakespeare while others are Joe Neerdowell. Still, whatever legacy they may have is not applicable to their perspective as they simply don't have one anymore.

Huh... I may want to philosophize a bit on this whole death as an equaliser thing. I mean, yes. But no. But... Yes?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

I am not talking about social equality. Death itself is the great equalizer.
Death does not give a shit about your social savvy, who you think you are, how much better you believe yourself to be than the worthless droves of peasants beneath you.

When it comes time to pay the piper, all your narcissistic ideologies are exposed for the absolute absurdities that they are. All your accolades, awards, and triumphs, will not earn you 1 second more.

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on August 31, 2022, 02:14:12 PMI am not talking about social equality. Death itself is the great equalizer.
Death does not give a shit about your social savvy, who you think you are, how much better you believe yourself to be than the worthless droves of peasants beneath you.

When it comes time to pay the piper, all your narcissistic ideologies are exposed for the absolute absurdities that they are. All your accolades, awards, and triumphs, will not earn you 1 second more.
Reality... In my experience, it's rarely as simple as the proverbs would have us believe. This is what I'm trying to explore.

What you describe is death as in the process of dying, as opposed to death as in the state of not being alive. Nothing wrong with that - it's just that I would have worded the proverb more precisely, as its accuracy depends on what you mean by "death." It is what it is though. Me, I prefer my own version; Death is the only inescapable result of life. That goes both to dying and being dead.

Dying is its own can of worms though, because indeed who you are can have a lot to say in how many "seconds more" you get when the bills come due. You may die of malaria at the age of fourteen - or you may survive lung cancer at the age of 68. You may blow your brains out with a deer slug or get tortured to death by a villainous psychopath. You may die alone or surrounded by people to whom you matter.

There is a certainty in the outcome - you no longer being alive, no matter how or when, but by then, if there is such thing as equality, your legacy kinda' has to come into play since you do not have... Well, thoughts, for one. And if that happens, one thing "we" are not, is equal. Legacies come in all shapes and sizes and relative importance.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

My point is, death comes for everyone. Everyone. When the time comes, the time comes. Nothing you ever did, will change that.

billy rubin

you can walk in front of a bus to alter the schedule

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."