News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Atheist morality

Started by Icarus, July 25, 2020, 07:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Here is an interesting article about the widely held xtian belief that it is not possible for atheists to live morally, honestly, or compassionately. 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-a-huguenot-philosopher-realised-that-atheists-could-be-virtuous?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Randy

And here I thought being an atheist meant I could burn puppies with glee. Morality and a good conscience keeps me from doing it.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Old Seer

An Athiest can be a Christian like anyone else. But of course, I don't see that there are any Christians. Christian values are the same as human values.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

No one

Morality is what I say is right.
Immorality is what I say is wrong!

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on July 26, 2020, 03:59:00 PM
An Athiest can be a Christian like anyone else.

:eyebrow: For some definitions of Christian.

Quote from: Old Seer on July 26, 2020, 03:59:00 PMBut of course, I don't see that there are any Christians. Christian values are the same as human values.

Given that any values of which we are aware are "the same as human values," I think what you're doing here would be described as a logical tautology.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on July 26, 2020, 08:26:33 PM

Quote from: Old Seer on July 26, 2020, 03:59:00 PMBut of course, I don't see that there are any Christians. Christian values are the same as human values.

Given that any values of which we are aware are "the same as human values", I think what you're doing here would be described as a logical tautology.
It depends upon one's understanding of Christianity of what one accepts or denies.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Randy

Quote from: Old Seer on July 26, 2020, 09:02:52 PM
Quote from: Recusant on July 26, 2020, 08:26:33 PM

Given that any values of which we are aware are "the same as human values", I think what you're doing here would be described as a logical tautology.
It depends upon one's understanding of Christianity of what one accepts or denies.
From what I understand, to be a Christian one must accept Jesus as one's personal savior. I can't imagine an atheist having done that.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

GetPocket wants something from you if you visit their site more than a few times.

Direct link to the article: "How a Huguenot philosopher realised that atheists could be virtuous" | Aeon

I think some here would beg to differ with Bayle. I don't think that I personally can subscribe to his attempt at a nominally objective basis for morality. ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

Quote from: No one on July 26, 2020, 07:50:26 PM
Morality is what I say is right.
Immorality is what I say is wrong!

yes.

that's what it all boils down to.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."