News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Quora Question

Started by Randy, July 05, 2020, 01:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Hi all,

I frequent Quora every now and then and answer some questions. There are quite a few that are directed to me that I simply can't answer so I pass on them.

I state that I'm a cancer patient for one. Then someone thinks I'm qualified to be an oncologist or asks me what the current technological state is. Now, some questions I can simply google but wonder why don't they just google it themselves? I only research things that interest me and not everything cancer related does.

For example: I just finished watching a two hour movie which had nothing to do with the topic and that's great! Often I want to get away from it all. I let my oncology staff worry about the latest details. I'll be glad to be a part of a trial if it comes up. But I'm not going to spend each and every waking moment researching the stuff.

I also answer questions every now and then about atheism but they are the usual tripe that we get over and over and over... and then over some more.

Some days I feel like turning it off but once in a while someone has a valid question that takes someone's point of view and I'm able to answer it from personal knowledge and experience.

Edit: I guess my question really is, what do you think of Quora?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

I've found it useful on occasion. Wouldn't take anything there as gospel definitive, but sometimes just the correct phraseology used in an answer will help direct further research. I haven't tried answering anything there though.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

I "stumbled" upon Quora when I googled a Java programmer's question. The answers I found on Quora were fine. The only thing what I didn't like about Quora is that it constantly asks me to join them.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Old Seer

Quote from: Tom62 on July 05, 2020, 08:22:12 AM
I "stumbled" upon Quora when I googled a Java programmer's question. The answers I found on Quora were fine. The only thing what I didn't like about Quora is that it constantly asks me to join them.
To much question overload. To clogged with miscellaneous.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Randy

Quote from: Recusant on July 05, 2020, 04:04:10 AM
I've found it useful on occasion. Wouldn't take anything there as gospel definitive, but sometimes just the correct phraseology used in an answer will help direct further research. I haven't tried answering anything there though.
I know what you mean. I've found myself refuting the miracle cures or taking a lot of vitamin C to get rid of cancer. If it were this easy none of us would have it.

I visit Quora less these days. I simply don't have the energy to go against the quackery or answer a hundred questions per day.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg