News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Juneteenth

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 14, 2020, 02:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Juneteenth is June 19. That was the day that the word of the Emancipation Proclamation reached African Americans in Texas, 2 1/2 years after Lincoln issued it.  Texas blacks celebrate it yearly, and now it has become a national event. Perhaps it will become a national holiday.

Dark Lightning

...and the chump wants to hold a campaign rally there on that day. Inciting to riot? Or just tone deaf?

billy rubin

i think hes simply too self absorbed to see how it wiuld look to anybody elze.

tulsa is famous for the 1921 mob killings. its no secret to anybody from oklahoma.

but trump not only cant see tbe issue, he has surrounded himself with toadiez and yes men who wont contradict him even when he doez something stupid.

id be curious as to which of them dared to tell him a tulsa rally on juneteenth waz a bad image.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

I've just saw on CNN news that Trump rescheduled the Tulsa rally "Out of respect for Juneteenth".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

Some unusually sound judgement from our very own "stable genius".

Sandra Craft

I was wondering who finally told him what Juneteenth was, and why it mattered.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 15, 2020, 09:10:30 PM

Apparently he wasn't aware until someone told him, but I don't know who informed him.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Randy

Quote from: Tom62 on June 15, 2020, 09:36:19 PM

Apparently he wasn't aware until someone told him, but I don't know who informed him.
Somebody with some sense. He doesn't sound like the type of person to look things up for himself or to care about the day until someone reminded him there is an election coming up.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tom62

Quote from: Randy on June 15, 2020, 11:31:15 PM

Somebody with some sense. He doesn't sound like the type of person to look things up for himself or to care about the day until someone reminded him there is an election coming up.

^Hear! Hear! I'd never heard about the day either (being a bloody ignorant foreigner), so I had to look it up as well.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on June 16, 2020, 05:35:31 AM

^Hear! Hear! I'd never heard about the day either (being a bloody ignorant foreigner), so I had to look it up as well.

Ditto. I'd never heard of it either.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Quote from: Tank on June 16, 2020, 10:11:40 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on June 16, 2020, 05:35:31 AM

Ditto. I'd never heard of it either.
I had never heard of it until it showed up on my calendar. I had to look it up.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

being a whitey, i haven't known about it all my life, but certainly the last few years its been something i paid attention to.

along with thai pusam and deepavali

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

In Georgia, it's probably not celebrated much. This is a "Good Ol' Boys" state. Atlanta on the other hand may celebrate it this year since all the protests took place.

Icarus

Randy I believe that Atlanta has a larger percentage of African American citizens that most other sizable cities.  They will surely celebrate Juneteenth and Kwanza too. 

billy rubin

when i lived in california the grocery store adbertized a martin luther king day special . . .

on fried chicken.

i kid you not. at least it wasnt watermelon.