News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Is Homosexuality a Choice?

Started by MadBomr101, May 31, 2020, 04:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

Well, is it?

Of course, it isn't, it's one's sexual preference as hardwired into their brain at birth. I didn't choose to be hetero, it just revealed itself over tine. it's the same with homosexuality.

So why do Xians insist that it's a "lifestyle" choice? I can no more choose to be gay than I choose to be a serial killer. Neither is within me. The same is true for Xians yet they insist being gay is a choice that was made and they can help you unmake it with the power of prayer and the guidance of scripture.

Why is homosexuality such a trigger for religious people? Why are they, and by extension their God, so concerned with what you're doing in bed? Isn't it convenient that God is as appalled by all the same things that appall the Xians?

Post 11 of 25
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Old Seer

For some it is and for others it isn't. TYhose claiming to be Christians will mostly go by what the bible says, and strongly the New Testament. But, they don't consider that the people who wrote the book were not understanding in the sciences, and in this case, psychology. Imagine trying to explain to an apostle what hormones are. I'm reasonably sure that if they had the understandings we have today they would have a change of opinion.

In my study of this with others like questions came up. For instance- when Armageddon takes place will homosexuals make it through (survive it). A= yes. The event takes place after governments have been ended and people are free to do and become as they want, bringing in the actual end (die off)of the 3rd Generation, which in biblical terms is the actual ending event.  Armageddon is the ending of evil people and the others remain. A Homosexual can be a good person just as anyone else. There's a catch---for everyone in that, the remaining will have to have given up recognizing the physical (seen as the carnal mind) as the person, and recognized as the spiritual, or mental. Homosexuals may have a harder time with the idea, depending upon the individual.  :)  (Not presented as a statement of fact, but an interpretation)
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

No one

Yes, just like being tall is a choice. Also, much like you choose where to be born.

Randy

Louis Sheldon, anti-gay Christian group founder, dies at 85

https://news.yahoo.com/louis-sheldon-anti-gay-christian-225114513.html

This quote makes no sense but Sheldon said it.

Quote"As homosexuals continue to make inroads into public schools, more children will be molested and indoctrinated into the world of homosexuality," he once wrote. "Many of them will die in that world."
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

First, I would acknowledge that some Christian churches have been able to modify their approach to this question. Then . . .

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

In my opinion, it both is and isn't.  It depends on whether you're talking about feelings or actions -- feelings are not chosen, actions always are.  I don't think anti-gay Xtians care at all about how gay people feel romantically or sexually as long as we don't ever, in any way, act on it.  Even such a minor action as talking about it without condemning it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

In my case, it wasn't a choice, but I cannot answer on behalf of anyone else who identifies as gay. My choice was deciding to come out to family. friends, and colleagues.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

It may or may not be the case. It could depend on a person by person basis.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bluenose

Frankly, I don't care.  In my considered opinion it's nobody's business except for the person concerned, so long as no coercion is involved.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

I don't get why it should even matter if it's a choice or not.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

It shouldn't, but humans are...... well, you know.

Brains do not come with instruction manuals, and most refuse to use it enough for a manual do be of any assistance anyway.

Randy

It doesn't matter to me and maybe not the poster of the starting message. It never bothered me until a co-worker was driving me home one night. He took the scenic route and as he did, he started stroking my thigh and eventually moved to my genitalia. He then unzipped my trousers and reached in. As soon as he stopped (stop sign, red light? I don't remember) I jumped out.

He apologized begging me to get in the car. I think he was afraid I would tell our boss on him. Our boss was my father and it was my first job.

I got in and we went home. He parked at the bottom of the driveway and tried to give me a goodnight kiss. I opened the door before he could and got out. I would never ride with him again.

For him, I think it was a choice. He'd always liked girls but kept striking out. Maybe he was bisexual. He went to therapy and I never heard anymore about it. At least he didn't try to get me into a corner in the stock room. Maybe he learned that sexuality is okay as long as it is with a consenting partner.

As for my dad, he never found out unless the co-worker told him. I don't know how my dad would have felt about his son narrowly being molested on some dirt road. He probably would have taking me to have boxing skills or some other thing similar as long as it was American based.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Randy

Quote from: No one on June 05, 2020, 01:24:38 AM
It shouldn't, but humans are...... well, you know.

Brains do not come with instruction manuals, and most refuse to use it enough for a manual do be of any assistance anyway.
I keep mine in the glove compartment,

Ecurb Noselrub

The status of being attracted to the same sex as opposed to the opposite sex is not a choice. Either you are attracted or you are not. All of us make choices (I won't say "freely") about our actions, but I can't make myself become attracted to something that I am not attracted to. I can be attracted to a woman, but chose to act or not act on that attraction. I cannot make myself to be attracted to a man, so I would have no reason to act in that direction.  The attraction seems to come from our own makeup (nature/nurture), not from our choices.  Or so it seems to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 11, 2020, 02:32:43 AM
The status of being attracted to the same sex as opposed to the opposite sex is not a choice. Either you are attracted or you are not. All of us make choices (I won't say "freely") about our actions, but I can't make myself become attracted to something that I am not attracted to. I can be attracted to a woman, but chose to act or not act on that attraction. I cannot make myself to be attracted to a man, so I would have no reason to act in that direction.  The attraction seems to come from our own makeup (nature/nurture), not from our choices.  Or so it seems to me.

Speaking from the "inside", that just about sums up my stance as well. Whenever someone wants to engage me in a debate on the issue, I start belting out I Am What I Am, upon which they usually run away screaming.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames