News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

So, I discovered this video editing software...

Started by xSilverPhinx, May 08, 2020, 02:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 08, 2020, 07:17:00 PM
An update on my Kdenlive test drive: I find it quite friendly and it seems to have many good features. However, I have found two difficulties with it. The one problem is that adding a cross-fade transition between two clips is not intuitive and a bit cumbersome. The other thing I found was that were very few possibilities to set the rendering quality of the output video.

I looked around a bit and found another totally free video editing application called OpenShot:

https://www.openshot.org

It seems to suit my hands better: for one thing one simply drags the beginning of a clip over the end of the previous one to overlap them and it creates a cross-fade transition automatically. When you then render the output movie, there are many configuration choices and tweaks available. I see even picture-in-picture effects and green screen effects are very easy to do with OpenShot, which is what I will probably use when I need to do some video editing.

Cool, I will check OpenShot out!  :thumbsup:

I think you can overlap videos using Kdenlive by placing them in different tracks, but I'll have to try it to be sure.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 09, 2020, 07:49:14 PM
An update on my Kdenlive test drive: I find it quite friendly and it seems to have many good features. However, I have found two difficulties with it. The one problem is that adding a cross-fade transition between two clips is not intuitive and a bit cumbersome. The other thing I found was that were very few possibilities to set the rendering quality of the output video.

I looked around a bit and found another totally free video editing application called OpenShot:

It seems to suit my hands better: for one thing one simply drags the beginning of a clip over the end of the previous one to overlap them and it creates a cross-fade transition automatically. When you then render the output movie, there are many configuration choices and tweaks available. I see even picture-in-picture effects and green screen effects are very easy to do with OpenShot, which is what I will probably use when I need to do some video editing.

I think you can overlap videos using Kdenlive by placing them in different tracks, but I'll have to try it to be sure.

Yes, one can place them in different tracks in Kdenlive, but then you have to add a fade transition for the video part, and that is not the end of it. The sound does not cross-fade as well, so then you still have to add fades into the sound track. This is quite a time wasting palaver compared to OpenShot, where it all works automatically on the same track by just dragging the second clip over the end of the first one.

I'm not trying to be contrary; I just like to evaluate software.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 09, 2020, 08:37:25 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 09, 2020, 07:49:14 PM

Yes, one can place them in different tracks in Kdenlive, but then you have to add a fade transition for the video part, and that is not the end of it. The sound does not cross-fade as well, so then you still have to add fades into the sound track. This is quite a time wasting palaver compared to OpenShot, where it all works automatically on the same track by just dragging the second clip over the end of the first one.

I'm not trying to be contrary; I just like to evaluate software.

Evaluations are welcome! :grin: Makes the learning curve a little less steep, and sometimes even a change of mind is a good thing. :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey