News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Gender 'Equality' Nonsense

Started by Vichy, July 04, 2008, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreethinker30

Of course women are going to be looked down upon.Look at the story of Adam and Eve.It was Eve who ate the apple.Pandora who opened the box.As for stronger it depends on how you mean.As in able to lift and carry heavy objects.Or for pain tolerance.Physiological tests show that women have a higher tolerance for pain,live longer and are more resistant to diease.Women have had to fight for so many things that most men are born with.The right to vote,work or own property.In America it wasn't until 1920's that women were even allowed to vote.Yes some women are emotional,talkative and shop alot.But there are just as many women who are silent,emotionless and thrifty.You are stereotyping men and women.I could say if you look at the prison population that men are voilent,crude..cavemen.But that is total crap.There are not as many women who murder as men,but that is nature vs. nurture.Yes we are different from men ie horomones.But we are alike.I really don't see how you can put men and women into a stereotype.That in itself is nonsense.It's just not possible to know or have known every man and woman in the world to come to this.

Occam

I agree that in general, males and female behave and think quite differently, however, I think the major reason for this is early inculcation and indoctrination.  Parents, family, friends, and society teach males how to act like "boys" and females to act like "girls".  Over my seventy-seven years I've met many women who could do a better job of thinking in the "male" manner than most males, and a few males who were higly skilled at the same traits females are supposed to have genetically.  

In addition, from what I've seen, our mental similarities far outweigh our gender differences.  Even accepting some differences between the sexes, I think we have to adopt equality in our dealings with all people, not just with one sex or the other.

Occam

Jolly Sapper

Gender equality is usually in reference to social position within society, not so much about physiologically being able to do the exact same things.  Kinda the same with the word "feminist" which has been spun to mean a female who wants to reverse the social dynamic so that the society is matriarchal and I'm pretty sure "feminism" started out trying to do the same thing that "abolitionists" were trying to do.  All that was intended was a bit of social and political equality and maybe some restitution for past indiscretions.