News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

My observations also suggested that crows and ravens are also plenty clever. 

billy rubin

used to have a pet crow, raised it from after the winds through it out of nest high in the blue gums trees. it was indeed intelligent, sometimes annoyiongly so

rode around on top of the wifes straw hat while she worked in the garden.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Wait.
They're sleeping, right!?  :worried:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Anne D.

billy rubin

lol

yes the insufferable sleeping kittens all look like this most of the day

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on August 08, 2021, 04:55:28 PM
lol

yes the insufferable sleeping kittens all look like this most of the day

Icarus

I have grasshoppers that are so big that they can no longer be classified as insects.  They are animals of destruction.  They are wingless and have bodies at least four inches (101 mm long).  Bug spray does not phase them at all.  The only disposal method is with a 2 by 4 and a hearty smash. Yuk!

An old wives tale is that grasshoppers can defend themselves by spitting tobacco juice at its' enemies. These giants are slow to respond. So far I have no tobacco stains.

billy rubin

picture ! picture !

camel crickets? mole crickets?

all thelocustidae acrididae and tettiginiidae so on have wings.

what do you have?

picture!

if you squeeze a lugger  they puke brown stomach contents on you.

its true.

just like horny toads squirting blood from their eyes. that is true too

sorry i cant help myself

Dark Lightning

OK, I've been a recipient of Horny Toad eye blood, as a kid. As for Icarus' creatures, I'm pretty sure that a lit match or cigarette lighter with a spritz from a can of diethyl ether (engine starting fluid) is going to exterminate them, tout-suite.  :lynch:

Magdalena

billy rubin

we get cool orthopterans ip here in appalachia

the really huge mantids and walking sticks

https://images.app.goo.gl/atVrYMDjucHQh9vX9

https://images.app.goo.gl/CHKb8qhg8fLEyeQU7

wasps too . beautiful varieties.

were not seeing butterflies though. i first noticed the butterflies diminishing several years ago. i used to see a dozen monarchs a day. now ive seen maybe one all summer.

same with the big swallowtails and the middle sized fritillary types.

the little skippers snd so on seem okay, but even tjose are fewer than i recall

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 15, 2021, 02:14:14 AM
OK, I've been a recipient of Horny Toad eye blood, as a kid. As for Icarus' creatures, I'm pretty sure that a lit match or cigarette lighter with a spritz from a can of diethyl ether (engine starting fluid) is going to exterminate them, tout-suite.  :lynch:

think of them as land shrimp. deep fry em with lemon and butter

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on August 15, 2021, 02:48:39 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 15, 2021, 02:14:14 AM

think of them as land shrimp. deep fry em with lemon and butter

Fact is, I had it explained to me by an Army Ranger that eating crickets should involve pulling the guts out to avoid any bad stuff living in there. This is done by pulling on the face, which usually removes all the internals, just leaving the crunchy husk.  :thumbsup2: :let'seat: