News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

hummingbirds

https://youtu.be/I59M2JS61ro

only one species here, the rubythroated. males have the iridescent throat patch. lots more kinds in ghe border states to the south. tiny things

strong flier. they migrate across the gulf of mexico vecause its shirter to cross the sea than to folloow the curve of central america

we have a bunch butbthe feeders take cknstant filling. they can emlty a quart in three days and we havevthree i think

set the function, not the mechanism.

S19002350

That's very cool, how much do you spend on feed? Would love to have something like this in my backyard

Quote from: billy rubin on July 06, 2021, 12:04:52 AM
hummingbirds

https://youtu.be/I59M2JS61ro

only one species here, the rubythroated. males have the iridescent throat patch. lots more kinds in ghe border states to the south. tiny things

strong flier. they migrate across the gulf of mexico vecause its shirter to cross the sea than to folloow the curve of central america

we have a bunch butbthe feeders take cknstant filling. they can emlty a quart in three days and we havevthree i think

billy rubin

you can spend as much as you want to become involved with them.

where i am two kilos of granulated cane sugar costs about US$10, and i think that will fill a one litre feeder like the one on the video about six times. i saturate the solution, sp its a thick syrup. do that twice per week and you can support what appear to be a half dozen nesting pairs.

they havea superhigh metaboislism.

its hard to tell how many arehere,  because these ruby throats dont seem hostile to others. farther west where its drier  the hummingbirds are fiercely territorial, so you can see how many youve got by who is driving who away

if you get serious and are willing to keep up with them, i dont think theres a limit on how many you can support in one spot. inthe mountainsin arizone ive seen 10 or12 at atime ata big feeding set up, three orfour different species

billy rubin

https://youtu.be/mpHdVk3yuuA

haventheard tbe coyotes in months. they split up in the spring and summer to raise pups, and then get back together in the autumn.

maybe i should get the family out to sing when im home. if you go out at night and sing to them tbeyll call back at you

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

and we now have five

five.

raccoons on the porch for breakfsst.

five.

this is not my fault.

billy rubin

billy rubin

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on July 11, 2021, 05:56:01 PM

^^^
Those are nice pictures, billy rubin.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

xSilverPhinx

Iago grew quite a bit since you last saw him. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2021, 03:06:29 PM

Iago grew quite a bit since you last saw him. :grin:
Yes! Yes, he did!
:o

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Used to belong to Pete, Pete isn't very good at poker.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on July 13, 2021, 05:49:36 PM

Used to belong to Pete, Pete isn't very good at poker.

:tellmemore:
I don't know what that is, but there's something about huge fangs.

No one

It's a distant cousin of Tiamat and Smaug, raps.