News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 23, 2020, 03:37:18 PM
I draw the line at heating her food! :lol: One of my sons mentioned we could make our own dog food out of our people food. My wife told him that if he started doing that, he'd better be prepared to do it as long as the dogs are alive. They're spoiled enough, already.  ::)

:snicker:

Yeah, spoilt dogs can be tough to manage sometimes ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

One of Joy's ears had been threatening to pop up for the past couple of days and finally did so overnight. The other, it seems, is a little reluctant but will probably do so as well. 

Icarus

Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, and several other of the herding dog type do not have erect ears. Breeders identify their ear behavior as "pricked ears". Half up with folded over tops.  Other categories like "working dogs often have erect ears... Dobermans, Akitas, Wolves, etc.  The herding types, when well trained, respond to whistle signals, so why do they not have erect ears?  Beats me. Breeds such as Beagles, Bassets, and bloodhounds have ears with no sign of erection ability. They can hear very well however.

Dog behaviorists are much aware of the dogs mood by observing ear position.  An example is when a dog with standup type ears lays them back on his head.  That is Aggressive mode. Straight up and tilted slightly forward indicates careful attention, etc.  Tail behavior is also an indication of emotional mood.  Not as reliable as the ear thing however.   

An item of interest for dog lovers appears in this months Smithsonian magazine. It is a study of the cognitive abilities of canines. The article is titled: Evolution of Friendship.  Hoping to illuminate our strangely powerful bond, scientists are studying dog behavior as never before.  They have discovered that dogs have been studying us for thousands of years.   

billy rubin

friendship?

one of our dogs has a pet cat. just one of the nameless felines that wandered around as a kitten until she became attached to the dog. hangz out with him inside or out,  rubs on his legs, sleeps across his feet and general is sickenenly adoring.

doesnt care for people. couldnt touch her for a year even though she follows the dog around the house

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Lulu, my parrot, is very picky. She refuses to eat apples or bananas, but loves yoghurt, cheese, tomatoes, and meat. Her vet said it was OK to give her a few sips of coffee, but Nescafe isn't good enough for her, and she only drinks cappuccino from my coffee machine.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

pictures!

i love parrots.

what completely improbable animalz. they prove evolution.

who could ever have thought up a parrot?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 24, 2020, 04:41:29 AM
pictures!

i love parrots.

This is the spoilt little brat. She doesn't know she's a bird and simply ignores other birds.

I love her as much as any human child.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

damn

african gray?

how long have you had her?

what iz  her personality? why no apples or bananas?

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 24, 2020, 06:42:20 AM
damn

african gray?

how long have you had her?

what iz  her personality? why no apples or bananas?

Yes, she is a Timneh African Grey, not the more common, bigger Congo African Grey. She came into my life when she was a few weeks old — she is almost 8 now. She is an intelligent, very loving bird who has bonded closely with me, to the extent that she protects me when she thinks someone is getting too close to me. She is always on my shoulder and goes everywhere with me, even when I go shopping at my local supermarket, where everyone knows her by name.

Like anyone else, she just has certain food preferences and she simply doesn't like apples and bananas. They can eat anything humans eat, except avocados. Humans are immune to the cardiac glycosides in avos, but parrots are not.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 24, 2020, 04:54:22 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on November 24, 2020, 04:41:29 AM
pictures!

i love parrots.

This is the spoilt little brat. She doesn't know she's a bird and simply ignores other birds.

I love her as much as any human child.

She's beautiful! :tellmemore: And she looks well looked after too.

Tank

I bet the locals know you as 'The Parrot Man!'
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 24, 2020, 05:02:19 PM

Yes, I am quite well known in the community as the eccentric guy with the parrot on his shoulder. The funny thing is that Lulu is a woman magnet, and not just the older ones. When I'm trying to buy stuff in the supermarket, some are quite difficult to shake off. If I were that way inclined, I could easily befriend many of them.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 24, 2020, 05:25:26 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 24, 2020, 05:02:19 PM

Yes, I am quite well known in the community as the eccentric guy with the parrot on his shoulder. The funny thing is that Lulu is a woman magnet, and not just the older ones. When I'm trying to buy stuff in the supermarket, some are quite difficult to shake off. If I were that way inclined, I could easily befriend many of them.

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

animals and children apparently  are cues to stranger women that you are less likely to be a threat and so arevmore approachable for ordinary conversation

its like getting to be an old fart. i can discuss waxing my butt crack with female drivers who cheerfully describe needing a lawnmower to trim their pubic bush without either of us being even slightly uncomfortable with the conversation.

i dont actually wax my butt crack but it came up in the discussion somehow

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on November 24, 2020, 08:28:36 PM
i dont actually wax my butt crack but it came up in the discussion somehow

:lol: Just like it did now?