News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

That's a fascinating read, Icarus. We only have four venomous snakes here in Georgia but we have a bunch of others. I don't think the viper is one of them though. Still, evolution is interesting to see in action in all its forms.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on August 09, 2020, 01:12:55 AM
Silver may have some interest, or comment, about this doggie brain thing.......or not.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/genetics-research-explains-why-dogs-are-very-good-boys?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Ah, that's really cool, Icarus!  8)

QuoteWhile the choices made by the wolves were more mixed with a human present, the dogs largely ignored the treat box to stare at the human, often walking over and trying to get their attention instead. While this shift in focus was indicative of the social nature of dogs, the dogs also struggled to open the box when there wasn't a person around. As such, the genetic mutations that aided in the domestication process are also linked to cognitive deficits in our friendly pups. Thankfully, dogs have us around to grab their treats for them.

This is interesting, though I'm not sure about the genes linked to extreme sociability also bringing cognitive deficits in dogs. Taking my goofy dog as an example, she was super smart, just not "street-smart", like a stray or even a wolf. I think it has to do with many dogs' over-reliant nature and not cognitive deficits per se.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I'm probably going to move (again ::) ) early next year and I've been thinking, it's probably time to get another dog. :grin: 

I've been thinking of getting a male German Shepherd pup this time and have even thought of a name for him...Loki. 8) When I do, I'm just hoping he doesn't live up to the name, too much.  ;D

Maybe I'll even get two.

This all depends on whether I find a house with a decent external area. Two, or even one, pups that will grow into large dogs in an apartment is a bit of a problem.  ::)

billy rubin

very large dogs are often good apartment dwellers. i have been told that great danes are so sedentary that an apartment sometimes suits them just fine.

not things like red setters.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on August 22, 2020, 10:36:55 PM
very large dogs are often good apartment dwellers. i have been told that great danes are so sedentary that an apartment sometimes suits them just fine.

not things like red setters.

Hey billy rubin! :wave hi:

German Shepherds are quite active (unless they're old in which case hip problems are common) and I have to think about what happens to the dog(s) when I'm at the lab. I generally spend the entire day there, and I don't want them relieving themselves inside the apartment. Me being at the lab for long periods of time is why I'm thinking of getting two, so that they can keep each other company.

I'm already looking for a house. I'd only move next year, but it's good to see neighborhood pricing and all ahead of time. I'm not really looking for an apartment, only if there is no other way. 

billy rubin

the orphans from the springtime are huge now

th epossums are off on their own. the male comes to the porch every night to eat dog food, and then stares at you when you bring him something to eat. after a bit, he turns his back and wanders off into the night.

the female, however, is a sucker for treats. last night i was talking to my son in the kitchen when she waddled in th edoor, looked at us, and then proceeded into the living room to climb up in her cat tree in the corner. there she held court while my wife fed her animal crackers (yes) and bits of hardboiled egg.

my kids frown on all this:

theryre supposed to be wild animals, you know.

except the possums don't know, actually, and are just fine being not-wild so long as there animal crackers and dog food.

the raccoonns are regualras too, immense round fluff balls. they prefer banana pieces if available, but will take anything. we know they've been by in the night because there's piles of dog food sunk to the bottom of the water dish. he s female is shy now, but the male is shy only if he doesn't see any food in your hand. besides bananas, chocolate chips cookes are pretty popular too.

i'll see whether i can get any pictures of him tonight.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on October 07, 2020, 08:05:48 PM

th epossums are off on their own. the male comes to the porch every night to eat dog food, and then stares at you when you bring him something to eat. after a bit, he turns his back and wanders off into the night.

the female, however, is a sucker for treats. last night i was talking to my son in the kitchen when she waddled in th edoor, looked at us, and then proceeded into the living room to climb up in her cat tree in the corner. there she held court while my wife fed her animal crackers (yes) and bits of hardboiled egg.

except the possums don't know, actually, and are just fine being not-wild so long as there animal crackers and dog food.

the raccoonns are regualras too, immense round fluff balls. they prefer banana pieces if available, but will take anything. we know they've been by in the night because there's piles of dog food sunk to the bottom of the water dish. he s female is shy now, but the male is shy only if he doesn't see any food in your hand. besides bananas, chocolate chips cookes are pretty popular too.

Wow, she got big!  :o

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 11, 2020, 07:56:29 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on October 07, 2020, 08:05:48 PM

Wow, she got big!  :o
Too many animal crackers will do that to you.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

https://youtu.be/gr4ZG9z-PtM

ha sorry about the eyeshine

had the light on on my telephone. freaked him out too. normally he s more laidback

you get to hear my wife talk to him in raccoon language. thisbbn one is the male. the female hzs gotten shy

billy rubin

shit fire busy tonight as well

https://youtu.be/DUpNR_YNjsI

the coyotes here in the east have deeper voices thanthe ones in the wezt. physically larger animalz. tbeyll weigh 40 pounds here but in arizona a 20 pound coyore is about average

Icarus

Coyotes are not popular in my town.  A couple years ago we had a coyote invasion that resulted in quite a few domestic pets. Kitty cats, small dogs, etc.  Have not had any trouble with them lately. If we do there are still some people, former pet owners, who would kill them in a blink of an eye.

billy rubin

coyotes are all that keep me from being overrun with cats. i've lived here some 16 years and i estimate that weve gone through at least 75 cats. right now there's between 15 and 20. they eat the songbirds, the chipmunks, the rabbits, the shrews, the voles, whatever they can kill.

i no longer has any empathy left for them. we have about four that i'd keep.