News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on May 23, 2020, 11:10:24 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 23, 2020, 10:59:29 PM
Here's an interesting article about bee-havior. Sorry for that horrible pun. Not.  ;D

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/pollen-deprived-bumblebees-may-speed-plant-blooming-biting-leaves

lots of stresses cause early bloom.

ive zeen a plum bloom in december because a tractor gouged the trunk in a turn.

but actuall early blooming causedby tge pollinators iz pretty neat

Nature is a wild mother. Just look at the vast array of plants and animals!

Randy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 24, 2020, 03:52:31 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 23, 2020, 11:10:24 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 23, 2020, 10:59:29 PM
Here's an interesting article about bee-havior. Sorry for that horrible pun. Not.  ;D

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/pollen-deprived-bumblebees-may-speed-plant-blooming-biting-leaves

lots of stresses cause early bloom.

ive zeen a plum bloom in december because a tractor gouged the trunk in a turn.

but actuall early blooming causedby tge pollinators iz pretty neat

Nature is a wild mother. Just look at the vast array of plants and animals!

I know this topic is beginning to veer off course but I just wanted to add a quick comment to DL's comment.

I've seen a lot of pictures and videos showing Earth from space. Our planet looks so beautiful and fragile. I think of it teaming with wildlife in all its different glory. Most of the animals and plants that have lived here are extinct. It's all the more reason we should protect our little blue marble.

(Steps off soap box.)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

did i mention that now we alzo have two of these?

http://imgur.com/gallery/tuNMjcy

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

We're pretty sure we had some trash pandas in the house, the other night. Trash cans tipped over, etc. I went and made a new cover for the dog door to the outside. Of major concern is that there were chicken bones in one trash can, and I don't want to have to take the dogs to the vet for it. Last time this happened (different cause) the dog had surgery and died anyway. $5k shot in the ass.  >:( I told my wife after we found the bones that if the dogs suffer intestinal injury, we're not coughing up that kind of money. Yes, I like the dogs. They are probably OK, given that we found bones in the kitchen and family room that the dogs (obviously) hadn't eaten. The expectation is that they didn't eat any, or their digestive systems handled it well. It's been 3 days, and we're not seeing bloody stools or mopey behavior. The trash goes out every night, now. That's kind of wasteful of bags, but cheaper in the economic and emotional fronts. :smilenod:

Icarus

I do so wish that more people understood that chicken bones are devastating for dogs. Other bird bones too.  They are hollow and splinter easily which can kill your best friend. I have not lost any of my companions that way but I know some people who have.

billy rubin

we have a pair of sparrow hawks that nest in the eaves of our house every spring.

ysterday at least one of them fledged, and the parents are going crazy guarding it outside while it learns to fly. ill add some images if i can get them to hold still.

theres starlings that nest just underneath that seem to do just fine with their neighbors.

and the hyla versicolor have finally come out!

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on May 26, 2020, 06:01:39 AM
I do so wish that more people understood that chicken bones are devastating for dogs. Other bird bones too.  They are hollow and splinter easily which can kill your best friend. I have not lost any of my companions that way but I know some people who have.

Indeed. I think that if mine were to have gotten sick, it would be by now. They dodged that bullet!  :frolic:

billy rubin

how do the foxes that kill my chickens survive?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on May 26, 2020, 03:33:45 PM
how do the foxes that kill my chickens survive?

I think that raw chicken bones are a different story, but have no hard facts to back that up.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on May 24, 2020, 11:07:10 PM

All you need is a hog and you've got:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 27, 2020, 06:32:31 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 24, 2020, 11:07:10 PM

All you need is a hog and you've got:

He's practically got a petting zoo already. Maybe we can chip in for a hog.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

the possums are getting close to independence

we stuck their cage outside last night so that they can get used to nocturnal smells. pretty soon we'll start leaving them unlocked. they generally wander off on their own about this age

absoluely amazing animals. theyre cleaner than cats.

very unlike the coons