News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

^ Jennies story is pleasing to hear and see.

billy rubin

every night and every morning outside my door

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Those 4 back markers are going to have to work hard to catch up with the pelaton.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

they all fly northwest in the morning and southeast in the evening.

almost always two groups, one much larger. yesterday there were three or four in the evening.

i have no idea what theyre saying to eavh other or why its necessary to be so noisy about it

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

late summer. the flowers have moved on. summer blooms like the multiflora rose, the dead nettles, and the various ground flora have pretty much expired. but we're not into the goldenrod yet. the bees are reacting with predictable boredom:

^^this is called washboarding. the bees in the morning might still find enough to keep themselves occupied, but in the afternoon, the nectar flows have stopped. so the fielders come home, and then perch outside the entrance and worry, just twiddling their thumbs, if they had any, and waiting for something to do.

when they're doing this, you leave them alone. theyre not happy, and the older, irritable fielders are all home waiting for something to piss them off. touch them and theyre in your face.

the goldenrod has just started blooming, yesterday. thats a major honey flow in my area, and the bees will go nuts on it when it starts. i use it to build up stores for the winter. the honey itself is very dark and strongly flavored. most people who are looking for sugar syrup-honey dont like it. when the bees are btringing it in and evaporating the volatiles in the evening, the yards smell like something has died. after the putrid stuff is gone, the honey is pretty good, at least for me.

i have amitraz strips coming to treat for varroa mites, and i wont be pulling any honey. ive managed to preserve a single colony through benign neglect, and need to get serious if im going to build back from one to two or three hundred.

billy rubin

try this

late summer. the flowers have moved on. summer blooms like the multiflora rose, the dead nettles, and the various ground flora have pretty much expired. but we're not into the goldenrod yet. the bees are reacting with predictable boredom:

^^this is called washboarding. the bees in the morning might still find enough to keep themselves occupied, but in the afternoon, the nectar flows have stopped. so the fielders come home, and then perch outside the entrance and worry, just twiddling their thumbs, if they had any, and waiting for something to do.

when they're doing this, you leave them alone. theyre not happy, and the older, irritable fielders are all home waiting for something to piss them off. touch them and theyre in your face.

the goldenrod has just started blooming, yesterday. thats a major honey flow in my area, and the bees will go nuts on it when it starts. i use it to build up stores for the winter. the honey itself is very dark and strongly flavored. most people who are looking for sugar syrup-honey dont like it. when the bees are btringing it in and evaporating the volatiles in the evening, the yards smell like something has died. after the putrid stuff is gone, the honey is pretty good, at least for me.

i have amitraz strips coming to treat for varroa mites, and i wont be pulling any honey. ive managed to preserve a single colony through benign neglect, and need to get serious if im going to build back from one to two or three hundred.

billy rubin

Tank

Love the videos. And all the descriptions.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

i love bees. when i was in california i started with one hive, then increased each year. 30, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800 . . .

i was working with another beekeeper, trading free labour for apprenticeship. the first year he had 40 beehives, then we divided to about 400. he then went to china for a year, and left me in charge. trial by fire. i learned queen rearing, increase, pollination, medication, feeding, and on and on. he would come back from china and over-divide his colonies too late in the year, and they would die back to 100.

then i would carefully nurture them up to 400 again, and he would return and kill them back to 100 again.

it was a spectacualr learning experience, but strangeley reversed. i learned every wrong method of managing commercial beehives: saw it in action, saw the reults. all i had to do to learn how to keep bees efficiciently was to simp[ly to do exactly not what he did, and to watch other beekeerps.

i ended up in a small city in central california where i was the smallest beekeeper in town, with 800 hives. my neighbors ran 4000, 3500, 3000, 1500, 1000, and 500 . . . increase the radius to thirty miles and it would include another 20,000 hives.

theres money to be made with them here in ohio, but i have to woprk them differently. stll have to decide how to do it.

billy rubin

came intot he warehouse after dark and this little guy was inside waiting for me to open the door

bufo americanus, looks a lot like bufo woodhousei except americanus has a single wart inside each large spot and woodhousei generally has two.

also woodhousei has a croak that sounds like its strangling and the american toads trill like litle songbirds.

mostly you hear them in the middle spring at night, b ut when th eget love-addled they will call in the daylight at your feet while you watch

Tank

Tank

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on November 05, 2022, 10:28:52 AMKatie doing her cute face :)

Is Katie disappointed by the recent lack of jobs for Ewoks in the movie biz?

Dark Lightning

Looks like, "One more photo, and I'm going to eat your face!".  :D

Tank

She's a very lazy dog by nature so she would not want to act and as she has few teeth she might try to suck your face off.