News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

2024 Happy New Year ro one and all!!

Started by Tank, January 01, 2024, 09:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

i have several reed prince screwdrivers that i am holding onto in case i ever see a reed prince screw again

id never seen pozi driv woid screws

the brits used em all over their machinery for case covers

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

To be clear, the pozi-drive screws were used where I worked, on spacecraft. I use drywall screws mostly in my wood working (when I use screws). Relatively cheap, but not used where they can be seen. Phillips head, of course.

Asmodean

Most screws I get - whatever the intended use - are torx or hex.

Sometimes my trainees misidentify one as the other and ruin my bits >:-(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

The vast majority of wood screws I use are pozidrive. Getting hold of small brass slot headed domed wood screws from anywhere but Amazon is now next to impossible.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Check some of your marine hardware suppliers for brass, bronze or monel fasteners.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on January 19, 2024, 11:16:18 AMThe vast majority of wood screws I use are pozidrive. Getting hold of small brass slot headed domed wood screws from anywhere but Amazon is now next to impossible.

Lucky you. The box stores around here pretty much only sell slotted head screws if one wants brass. I despise slotted screws, but have to use them in some instances. When I do, I pre-drill the holes and run in steel screws first to make sure I don't twist those brass sumbitches off upon installation. Nothing like trying to remove a broken off screw from a wood working project. I recently made a coat rack using curly birch and managed to get the two broken drywall screws out. Didn't pre-drill deeply enough, and I can assure you that that birch board is one hard sumbitch. It had tear-out from planing to thickness, and I had to run it through my drum sander multiple times to get the surfaces smooth. Obligatory picture of coat rack with splendid figure in the wood, which I do not take credit for:

Tank

Coat rack including shelf! I feel a project coming on!  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.