News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

This is what Believers think awaits them in Heaven

Started by MadBomr101, April 21, 2020, 04:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Well, there is some hope that His Gray Divinity is more divine than the other guy's fake divinity and that it may rub off without casting too many shadows on you as a point of influence  ;)

...I'm pleased that at least someone appreciates my colorful phrasing and asks the difficult questions implied therein. Give the little girl something nice for me. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on April 27, 2020, 11:12:41 PM
The basic Christian version has the faithful getting rapturous pleasure while singing songs praising their god. For all eternity. I guess you have to be there.  :shrug:

Not if I can help it. :devil:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: Essie Mae on April 28, 2020, 09:57:18 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 28, 2020, 08:08:04 AM
...And yet them junkies tend to need ever-larger doses of their drug of choice to get that "perfect high."

I suppose given an eternity with an eternally-powerful being, it's possible to just increase the dosage ad infinitum, but then we are back to the stagnant, empty existence argument, with the added bonus of stagnation and emptiness setting in long before I run out of nameable zeros.

Interesting. My 5-yr-old gdaughter picked up on the stagnation and emptiness using her limited vocabulary and then wanted to know, in that case, what was after heaven. I can't undermine her parents; I would have been incandescent if anyone had done that when mine were young. That's typical of the closed-minded and deluded attitude of Christianity and it breaks my heart now. I was caught early and it took me decades to fight my way out of the induced fear and empty promise of an afterlife. Heaven!!!???

I suppose that even admitting a lack of knowledge and certainty wouldn't go over well. Give it a few years, perhaps.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 28, 2020, 05:50:08 PM
The basic Christian version has the faithful getting rapturous pleasure while singing songs praising their god. For all eternity. I guess you have to be there.  :shrug:

:lol:  Just disparage the Holy Ghost, and you're set.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on April 28, 2020, 10:26:38 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 28, 2020, 05:50:08 PM

:lol:  Just disparage the Holy Ghost, and you're set.

:thumbsup: The Holy Ghost doesn't want me to believe and get into heaven, that's for sure. Why fight that?  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

MadBomr101

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 27, 2020, 05:44:20 PMI've heard believers say there is no such thing as boredom in Heaven. There is no sadness, frustration, hate or anger. Everything is positive, and there is eternal bliss.

That doesn't make sense to me. If I wanted to experience prolonged periods of bliss I would take drugs all day until I would need more and more and nothing else in the world would matter. I don't want to wake up after death and find myself living in a world much like the dystopian society of  Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' where certain citizens basically did that. As a result, they were controlled.

As such, in Heaven there would be no meaning to life in Heaven other than to serve the particular god of your religion.

The lady who wants to fly makes the gift of flight a thing in Heaven because that's what she likes. The lady who wants to eat without counting calories comes up with food made of light because that's what she likes. Nothing the faithful say about Heaven makes any sense because they just make it up to suit their own personal preferences.

They already believe a ridiculous delusion in God so how much more effort does it take to make up a little more bullshi*t to embellish it even more to their liking?
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Old Seer

Quote from: Asmodean on April 21, 2020, 08:32:11 PM
After a few thousand years of doing everything one considers worth doing to the point of tedium, your eternity has not even begun yet. Any afterlife where a person retains their memories is, in my opinion, far worse a fate than no life at all.

To put it this way, a few billion years from now, the Sun will go red giant, scorching the absolute shit out of this planet. A few trillion ("few" being relative) years from now, and the Universe will likely be reduced to a low density soup of low-energy photons. And your immortal ass in heaven? Will you still be enjoying them lightburgers while going for a fly outside your mansion?
I think the estimate is 2 billion years for the sun to expand destroying the solar system. JC and his Apostles weren't science types, and I often gave this some thought. If they were around today they may have to do some changing on the "forever" idea. I wonder how they would handle the idea of the solar system destroyed. What would they recommend we do about that if there's an immortality. We interpret them to mean the "here-after" will be the time after civilizations and religions are removed, which from what we see is the objective of the book/Messiah, expressed here-
Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Regardless tho, how can there be immortality if no planet in a solar system, and I'm assuming from Ephesians 6:12, that is what they are referring to, governments and religions. If that all comes about they have to explain a few things.

The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Asmodean

I seem to remember having read an estimate of one billion (milliard for us, a-other-scale users) years until the Earth is too hot for life as we know it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Old Seer

Yup. I'd say that's correct. The planet would be long gone before the sun explodes. I think what I would do is at some point order a few tons of bacon and pig out before I fry.  ;)
I'm not a Theist.

Old Seer

You got to be godawful brave (or something) to listen to this all the way through. But, it goes with the OP.

https://youtu.be/Hzr-u7vwFoA

I'm not a Theist.

Randy

Great, where do I sign up?

He stretched a few things to make it fit, like the thing with the sea and marriage to God. I'm sorry but I wouldn't want to be married to my dad.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Sandra Craft

No sea?  I'm out.  I'm only interested in eternity if there's some chance of reincarnating as a mermaid.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

MadBomr101

The guy narrating that video is drunk on the Xian Kool-Aid. You can practically feel his glee as he considers the eternity of overwhelming joy that he thinks awaits him.

If there's so much happiness in Heaven why are Xians no more keen to die than anyone else who doesn't think there's an afterlife?
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Randy

Most Christians I'm sure say call "9-1-1" and not "Let me die!"
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg