News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Media and the new Coronavirus

Started by xSilverPhinx, April 13, 2020, 02:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2020, 02:37:29 PM
It wasn't some death packaged in over dramatic tear-jerking words with some obvious intent to control reactions, it was just a regular post that could have been anybody's, making it feel very real and close to home. 
Indeed. I have read some stories shared by regular people, which were not at all like what I've described. Some were almost visceral in nature. Give a story like that to certain churnalists though, and they will try and spin it for clicks, hate-clicks most certainly included.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on April 14, 2020, 03:00:37 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2020, 02:37:29 PM
It wasn't some death packaged in over dramatic tear-jerking words with some obvious intent to control reactions, it was just a regular post that could have been anybody's, making it feel very real and close to home. 
Indeed. I have read some stories shared by regular people, which were not at all like what I've described. Some were almost visceral in nature. Give a story like that to certain churnalists though, and they will try and spin it for clicks, hate-clicks most certainly included.

Yeah, it's hateful when they do that. Information is a cold product and the more 'click-baity' it is, the better it is for the business ratings or amount of page visits.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

...And with higher click ratings, comes increased job security for the churnalist.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Asmodean

I stole it from either Sargon of Akkad (the YouTuber - not the emperor) or Tim Pool, who I believe stole it somewhere-or-other in turn.

On that note, I kind-of soured on them guyS of late, but they still make some very decent content - depending on what they're talking about.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

I'm now ignoring the media about the Coronavirus, because I'm fed-up with it. All news items are about the virus and everyone is an expert. The so-called virus "experts" that are interviewed send out conflicting messages. Nearly every day some laboratory in the world develops a vaccine. What I also learned is that the virus is now supposed to be racist and that the best word leaders, that handled the situation in their countries, were women. Funny though that no-one mentioned that the virus is sexist, because more men die from it than women.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Old Seer

My rule of thumb. If an expert is wrong they're not an expert.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Asmodean

By that logic, is any-one ever an expert?

As I see it, it's not about being wrong, but what you do when you are.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

It is that, and also the trail that led to the expert being wrong. An expert doesn't simply conclude things.

At least no true expert...
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Indeed.

I remember that story prof. Dawkins told about one of his own teachers. The man was "wrong for the past 20(?) years." Would that have made him "not an expert?"
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Old Seer on April 15, 2020, 07:33:12 PM

Experts are not the owners of Truth at different points in time, but are human and also very prone to being wrong. Especially in fields of knowledge that are constantly evolving.

In my view, experts are people who have studied a subject extensively and know a whole heck of a lot about it. That doesn't necessarily make them smart or infallible, just very knowledgeable in a field.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on April 15, 2020, 04:38:43 PM
I'm now ignoring the media about the Coronavirus, because I'm fed-up with it. All news items are about the virus and everyone is an expert. The so-called virus "experts" that are interviewed send out conflicting messages. Nearly every day some laboratory in the world develops a vaccine. What I also learned is that the virus is now supposed to be racist and that the best word leaders, that handled the situation in their countries, were women. Funny though that no-one mentioned that the virus is sexist, because more men die from it than women.

Yikes, people trying to fit this pandemic into whatever ideology is annoying. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 15, 2020, 09:25:47 PM
Quote from: Old Seer on April 15, 2020, 07:33:12 PM

Experts are not the owners of Truth at different points in time, but are human and also very prone to being wrong. Especially in fields of knowledge that are constantly evolving.

In my view, experts are people who have studied a subject extensively and know a whole heck of a lot about it. That doesn't necessarily make them smart or infallible, just very knowledgeable in a field.

Just to add to this, regarding the new coronavirus:

It's a new virus for humans. Not even the experts knew from the beginning of this pandemic how this outbreak would play out, which is why they might send out conflicting and contradictory messages. They are learning as well as new data is being transformed into valuable information. Be kind to the experts as well.  :)

One thing that's happening is basically a lot of the world's human and financial resources are now being invested into learning about this virus. A whole lot of information is being churned out on an hourly basis. Hundreds of new studies every day.

While this is great, there are two major problems:

1) Nobody can keep up with the amount of new information being produced daily and so are bound to ignore some vital parts of it;

2) Some if not all important science journals which are publishing new covid-19 results have dramatically sped up their publishing process. Anyone who has published in a reputable science journal knows it can take at least a month to go through peer-review and then even more time to perform requested revisions (which in experimental sciences usually means more experiments, which take time). Articles are being accepted and published quickly, which most likely means these journals have exceptionally laxed their peer-review process.

(Peer-review, for those who don't know, is a vital part of the scientific process. It's the stage after you submit a manuscript when experts review what you've done, how you did it and how you interpreted your results. Having an article go through peer-review and being accepted without requested revisions is extremely rare.)         

So, tl;dr: the scientific process takes time, and when it happens too quickly (as it is) there are bound to be errors and lower quality or less robust scientific studies being published in reputable science journals. Experts don't know everything, they are also learning about this new virus and can be wrong.

Biggus Dickus

I thought this would be a good place to post this, but if not please feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread.

Earlier this week in Michigan, as well as in some other states, there was a rally at the State Capital in Lansing.

These "Protesters" who ignored social distancing rules, were gathered to demonstrate against lockdown orders they call "tyrannical" and "worse than the virus".

Many were decked out in MAGA hats (Of course), and with Donald Trump posters, but some also had Confederate flags, and of course some (The really stupid ones) carried their guns.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, said those protesting, again some flying Confederate flags (Michigan was with the Union, so these are just Neo-Nazi, White Supremicists assholes), had likely lengthened the lockdowns.

QuoteShe said: 'The sad irony here is that they...may have just created the need to lengthen it.'

The governor also told reporters: 'I saw someone handing out candy to little kids barehanded. People are flying the Confederate flag, and untold numbers who gassed up on the way here or grabbed a bite on the way home.

'We know that this rally endangered people. This kind of activity will put more people at risk and, sadly, it could prolong the amount of time we have to be in this posture.'

This picture was taken on the streets outside the Capital Building.

These three morons are standing on the Capital Steps.

I don't see theses type of protests going on anywhere else in the world, which has now fully convinced me that America is a land of fools, and our future is bleak.

One woman interview at the rally said she was upset because she can't get her hair done (White woman obviously, probably named Karen)

A man who was also interviewed at the rally was complaining about the Governors orders which shut down the all golf courses in the state, and he damn't wants to play golf, "cuz it's his fucking right".

This has been depressing.

Mitch Albom, a long time columnist, journalist, author and radio host here in Detroit wrote the following article. (He wrote the books "Tuesday's With Morrie", and the "Five People You Meet In Heaven", among others (I didn't care for the latter which I read some years ago)

Mitch Albom: The Michigan I know doesn't lose its head in a pandemic

I enjoyed the article, in it he compared the protesters with the Israelites from the Book of Exodus.

QuoteI don't usually reference biblical anecdotes, but this seems too fitting.

In the book of Exodus, when the Israelites are freed from bondage and flee across the Red Sea, all they want is protection from the pursuing Egyptians. They don't want to die. When the sea collapses on their enemy, they rejoice and thank the Lord who saved them.

But soon they start complaining. And after wandering a mere seven weeks, they grow impatient when Moses ascends a mountain to receive the Ten Commandments, something the Lord promises will protect them forever. When Moses doesn't return exactly on time, the people revolt, they build a golden calf as something new to believe in, and — well, you know how that works out.

QuoteIn the biblical tale I cited, the Israelites began their golden calf worship one day before Moses came down from the mountain. A single day! And for that act of unfaithful impatience, they suffered 40 years in the wilderness.

Let's hope this foolishness doesn't end up costing us...but we Americans are a foolish people, and sometimes I fear the worst.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

the gun aspect is interesting. the connection between any government interference in one's life and a threat to disarm society is reflexive with a lot of americans. i know people who regard the second amendment right to bear arms as the major issue in their political awareness. any perceived infringement on any personal freedom by the government is immediatelt translated into the gun-grab controversy, and th eguns come out to be displayed as symbols of whats important in america. like with these three guys.

the direct connection between protsting quarantines and dispolaying firearms is obscure to me, but apparently not to everybody.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.