News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Happy Birthday to...

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 30, 2020, 09:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Astrud Gilberto, born on March 29th in 1940 in Salvador, Brazil.

Here she is singing "The Girl from Ipanema" in 1964.

...and singing Corcovado.

...and Fly Me to the Moon
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

I like it Bruno. I have been an Astrud Gilberto fan for a long time.  She sings pleasingly and she is also a competent guitarist.

I was, and still am, into the Brazil 66 style stuff from another day.   All hail Sergio Mendes.  Astrud did some gigs with that group.   (Mags, I also dig Herb Alpert and that Brassy sound).

I am actually a more devoted fan of classical guitar music, like that of Ana Vidovic, Tatiana Rhyzkova, and a few other spectacular "finger style" wizards. 

Dark Lightning

Beautiful singing and music. I think I'll line some of this stuff up for a little seduction of the wife.  8)

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 31, 2020, 11:44:30 PM
Cool :tellmemore:

If you are replying to me, my wife and I both share an enjoyment of romantic music.  :dance:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 01, 2020, 03:31:00 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 31, 2020, 11:44:30 PM
Cool :tellmemore:

If you are replying to me, my wife and I both share an enjoyment of romantic music.  :dance:

Music is great, lucky for you and your wife that you both enjoy it :grin:

Some people don't like any type of music. I don't get how that's possible. :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on March 31, 2020, 02:22:49 AM
I like it Bruno. I have been an Astrud Gilberto fan for a long time.  She sings pleasingly and she is also a competent guitarist.

I was, and still am, into the Brazil 66 style stuff from another day.   All hail Sergio Mendes.  Astrud did some gigs with that group.   (Mags, I also dig Herb Alpert and that Brassy sound).

I am actually a more devoted fan of classical guitar music, like that of Ana Vidovic, Tatiana Rhyzkova, and a few other spectacular "finger style" wizards.

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 31, 2020, 02:59:24 AM
Beautiful singing and music. I think I'll line some of this stuff up for a little seduction of the wife.  8)

I've been in love with Miss Girtrud since I was a young boy, and have loved Brazilian styled music, especially jazz for a long time as well. Composers like Antonio Carlos Jobim or Armando Marcal. I know Pat Methany lived in Rio for several years which had a great influence on his music as well.

Another favorite composer of mine was Luiz Bonfá, especially his song Manha de Carnaval.

I learned to play this song several years ago, so the other day I sat down and played it again after posting this thread about Astrud and reading the comments.

I decided to record myself, and so as a meager gift to my fellow members here at HAF here is my performance of Manga de Carnaval.

Please note: I haven't played this song recently, so I had to actually get out the sheet music to remember part of it. Also, I need to replace the strings on my guitar, and the nails on my right hand are in horrible shape right. I tell you this to try and make up for the somewhat poor performance.

I also apologize as I had to trim the video at the end because for some reason the audio cuts out whenever I record a video (Not sure why, it will record the first few minutes ok, but then cuts out the last 60 minutes or so...been playing around with the settings on my phone, but haven't been able to figure out why this keeps occurring)

Anyway folks here is me playing Manha de Carnaval for your pleasure.... :-\

Icarus

^ most impressive Papasito.  You are playing like a guitarist with some real skills. 

Have you ever played Cavatina?  That is one that grabs me every time I hear it.   Even more intensely emotional if you have seen the movie that featured that piece.  I am told that it is not particularly difficult but that it challenges the left hand rather much.

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on April 04, 2020, 09:22:21 PM

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

I envy you, Papasito, because I cannot play any instruments. The only way I can only satisfy my love of music is by listening to talented people like you.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 05, 2020, 04:44:27 AM
I envy you, Papasito, because I cannot play any instruments. The only way I can only satisfy my love of music is by listening to talented people like you.

Hear hear!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on April 04, 2020, 11:25:50 PM
^ most impressive Papasito.  You are playing like a guitarist with some real skills. 

Have you ever played Cavatina?  That is one that grabs me every time I hear it.   Even more intensely emotional if you have seen the movie that featured that piece.  I am told that it is not particularly difficult but that it challenges the left hand rather much.

Thank you Icarus, I appreciate the kind comment. :)

Unfortunately I haven't learned that piece yet, but it is certainly one of the most enduring arrangements for guitar, and I daresay one of the most memorable moments from that wonderful movie you alluded to.
I get a lot of my sheet music from a gentlemen named Per-Olov Kindgren. Below is him performing Cavatina, but as he mentions in the comment section of the video the arrangement for this piece isn't yet available on his sight. (Link to his site is available below the video) I'm just waiting on him to publish the arrangement....hopefully soon.

Per-Olov's comment on performing music
Quote"– Silence is a key element in my music. Before the music starts, the silence is full of expectations and excitement. The silence returns when the music ends, but now it is filled with echoes that invade the silence. My thoughts remain immersed in pictures that linger beyond the sound of the guitar. These moments are vital to the creative process: nevertheless they last only a few moments".

I wanted to post this second video of a performance of the same song by a street musician named Mark Allen, very haunting and beautiful...I have a hard time understanding how the folks walking by can just keep going on about their business without taking a few minutes to stop and enjoy such a heart-felt performance. I think they may regret the decision these days.

Thank you Hermes, that's a very kind compliment indeed. :)

Quote from: Tank on April 05, 2020, 07:05:27 AM

Hear hear!

Thank you as well Tank, I appreciate it as well :)

Quote from: Magdalena on April 05, 2020, 03:47:30 AM

I'm beyond words knowing Salma enjoyed my performance,....I am at a loss for words... :love:

Thanks Mags :hug:

Recusant

Thank you for posting that, Papasito Bruno! It's a wonderful tune, and you do a fine job with it. Nice restrained use of vibrato.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Recusant on April 05, 2020, 04:57:08 PM
Thank you for posting that, Papasito Bruno! It's a wonderful tune, and you do a fine job with it. Nice restrained use of vibrato.  :)

Gracias Recusant, gracias... :thumbsup2:

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on April 05, 2020, 04:53:49 PM
Quote from: Icarus on April 04, 2020, 11:25:50 PM

Thank you Icarus, I appreciate the kind comment. :)

Unfortunately I haven't learned that piece yet, but it is certainly one of the most enduring arrangements for guitar, and I daresay one of the most memorable moments from that wonderful movie you alluded to.
I get a lot of my sheet music from a gentlemen named Per-Olov Kindgren. Below is him performing Cavatina, but as he mentions in the comment section of the video the arrangement for this piece isn't yet available on his sight. (Link to his site is available below the video) I'm just waiting on him to publish the arrangement....hopefully soon.

Per-Olov's comment on performing music
Quote"– Silence is a key element in my music. Before the music starts, the silence is full of expectations and excitement. The silence returns when the music ends, but now it is filled with echoes that invade the silence. My thoughts remain immersed in pictures that linger beyond the sound of the guitar. These moments are vital to the creative process: nevertheless they last only a few moments".

I wanted to post this second video of a performance of the same song by a street musician named Mark Allen, very haunting and beautiful...I have a hard time understanding how the folks walking by can just keep going on about their business without taking a few minutes to stop and enjoy such a heart-felt performance. I think they may regret the decision these days.

Thank you Hermes, that's a very kind compliment indeed. :)

Quote from: Tank on April 05, 2020, 07:05:27 AM

Hear hear!

Thank you as well Tank, I appreciate it as well :)

Quote from: Magdalena on April 05, 2020, 03:47:30 AM

I'm beyond words knowing Salma enjoyed my performance,....I am at a loss for words... :love:

Thanks Mags :hug:

"I envy you, Papasito,
..."

"most impressive Papasito.
..."

I'm sorry but this just doesn't sound the same in Spanish.  :lol:

**Ahem**

I apologize...
Must be the wine and my dirty mind.

Continue...

Play another one, PB.
Please.
Thank you.

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant