News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

my lai

Started by billy rubin, March 17, 2020, 05:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

yesterday was the fifty-second anniversary of the my lai massacre in viet nam.

somewhere around 400 unarmed women, children, and old men were killed by american troops under orders to destroy a viet cong stronghold.

i was a teenager in singapore at the time, and i remember the images in the straits times of the murdered civilians when the story broke. the pictures were graphic. some i have never seen again.

i'm not sure we've learned anything since then, or if learning is possible. but i remember.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Good place to put this reminder.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on March 17, 2020, 05:32:26 PM
somewhere around 400 unarmed women, children, and old men were killed by american troops under orders to destroy a viet cong stronghold.
Wow. That's horrible.  :felix:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

they had a photographer along with them

sorry. this was a big deal for me.

rip

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

^^^
Yes, Rest In Peace.  :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Atrocities litter the history of the US, and many other countries. This one happened to be fairly well documented, and the US public learned of it. Perhaps that will help prevent other atrocities of a similar nature. At least for a good long while, anyway.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Recusant on March 18, 2020, 12:38:22 AM
Atrocities litter the history of the US, and many other countries. This one happened to be fairly well documented, and the US public learned of it. Perhaps that will help prevent other atrocities of a similar nature. At least for a good long while, anyway.

I'm suspecting that the Middle East isn't quite out of the woods yet, sad to say.

Sandra Craft

I was in high school when that happened.  I remember how many adults defended it, and how many people -- both those I knew and those writing letters to the editor of newspapers -- declared that those of us who did not defend it had no right to an opinion unless we were soldiers at the front.  I don't think things have changed very much.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey