News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Religions

Started by Old Seer, March 14, 2020, 12:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

sure

the point to take home that money is not what drives all religions.

some do conform, but others dont.

the predictive value of that model iz limited.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on April 15, 2020, 11:21:00 PM
there are no clergymen in traditional quakerism, seer.

they were way ahead of you.

nobody gets paid. nobody has a job reprezenting god.

thatz how its been for 350 years.

That's not far off the mark of how I'd like to live my life. But a lot of other programming got in the way of it.

Recusant

So, here's what we'll do. We'll act as if our church makes us impervious, but also claim that even if we're not impervious, dying ain't nothin. Then we'll ask for mo' money. It's sure to be a winner.

Yeah, the source is biased. Its description seems accurate though.

"Louisiana pastor asks followers to send their stimulus checks to churches instead of buying food" | Raw Story

QuoteTony Spell, the pastor at the Life Tabernacle Church in Central, Louisiana, believes his fellow pastors need your COVID-19 stimulus money more than you do.

TMZ reports that Spell has started a campaign called "#PastorSpellStimulusChallenge" in which followers are encouraged to send money they've received from the government as part of the federal stimulus package to evangelists and missionaries.

Spell claims that he and his wife are both donating their personal checks to churches in need instead of using it to pay for food, although he did not initially offer proof of doing so.

[. . .]

Spell has become a lightning rod for controversy after he defied bans on large-scale gatherings by holding packed services in his church during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Spell also told his followers not to be afraid of dying from the virus, and even said that "death is a welcomed friend" for true believers.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on April 17, 2020, 10:30:24 PM
So, here's what we'll do. We'll act as if our church makes us impervious, but also claim that even if we're not impervious, dying ain't nothin. Then we'll ask for mo' money. It's sure to be a winner.

Yeah, the source is biased. Its description seems accurate though.

"Louisiana pastor asks followers to send their stimulus checks to churches instead of buying food" | Raw Story

QuoteTony Spell, the pastor at the Life Tabernacle Church in Central, Louisiana, believes his fellow pastors need your COVID-19 stimulus money more than you do.

TMZ reports that Spell has started a campaign called "#PastorSpellStimulusChallenge" in which followers are encouraged to send money they've received from the government as part of the federal stimulus package to evangelists and missionaries.

Spell claims that he and his wife are both donating their personal checks to churches in need instead of using it to pay for food, although he did not initially offer proof of doing so.

[. . .]

Spell has become a lightning rod for controversy after he defied bans on large-scale gatherings by holding packed services in his church during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Spell also told his followers not to be afraid of dying from the virus, and even said that "death is a welcomed friend" for true believers.
Not bad, not bad atall. Them two should be in the stock market. Give their 2400 bucks as a charity makes them look good, and 800 parishioners can give theirs to them.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Icarus

Here is an interesting take on how and why we have developed a system of religious beliefs. .  The article is at least worthy of casual exploration.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/can-science-explain-religion?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Old Seer

The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Randy

Interesting indeed. It's practically a book unto itself. I think it puts forth an hypothesis with some merit. I haven't read all of it yet though, perhaps half but will get back to it in a while.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg