News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

"...volume reductions within a part of the cerebellum related to smell and social relationships."

The brain is a real hodge-podge, ain't it? Some brain scientist could probably explain why those two abilities are in the same part of the brain.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 21, 2022, 09:39:06 PM
"...volume reductions within a part of the cerebellum related to smell and social relationships."

The brain is a real hodge-podge, ain't it? Some brain scientist could probably explain why those two abilities are in the same part of the brain.

They probably meant to say "cerebrum" instead of cerebellum.   :P The words are close enough, but they're quite different structures in many ways, heh!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 22, 2022, 01:01:13 AM

They probably meant to say "cerebrum" instead of cerebellum.   :P The words are close enough, but they're quite different structures in many ways, heh!

I was thinking that you might have had some input on this! I honestly have to admit that I'll have to go look up brain structure to make the distinction between the two. I knew that stuff back in the 5th grade, but I haven't used that information since.  :-[

Still, the fact that this disease causes so much trouble is really concerning to me. We avoided people as much as possible and got vaccinated at the first opportunity. I have people telling me that I'm naïve and gullible for doing so. If they get the disease and suffer debilitating effects for months, or possibly the rest of their lives, that's a pretty damning assessment of their judgment.

Recusant

I noticed that too. I admit that rather than investigating the issue further I told myself a "just-so" story about how social relationships of our ancestors were to a large degree driven by pheromones, and kept moving.  :excuse:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 22, 2022, 01:36:33 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 22, 2022, 01:01:13 AM

I was thinking that you might have had some input on this! I honestly have to admit that I'll have to go look up brain structure to make the distinction between the two. I knew that stuff back in the 5th grade, but I haven't used that information since.  :-[

Still, the fact that this disease causes so much trouble is really concerning to me. We avoided people as much as possible and got vaccinated at the first opportunity. I have people telling me that I'm naïve and gullible for doing so. If they get the disease and suffer debilitating effects for months, or possibly the rest of their lives, that's a pretty damning assessment of their judgment.

Correction: I looked up the original paper the article is referring to, and apparently it is indeed the cerebellum.

In their analyses they discovered smaller volumes in a region of the cerebellum which connects and communicates with regions of the cerebrum (basically the wrinkled hemispheres that are the "more evolved" part of the brain) which are important in imagining the mental states of other people, and with regions that process smell signals. 

Social cognition is definitely of the higher order type, requiring an interplay of a number of brain areas. The fact that the cerebellum is part of that orchestra made up of mostly parts of the cerebrum is new to me. :grin:

As for Long Covid...definitely scary, especially because infection can trigger immune and inflammatory responses that damage tissues and organs that do not regenerate. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2022, 05:11:09 AM

I noticed that too. I admit that rather than investigating the issue further I told myself a "just-so" story about how social relationships of our ancestors were to a large degree driven by pheromones, and kept moving.  :excuse:

Heheh, the smell thing actually makes sense :grin:

Since the cerebellum is really important for motor function, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to think being able to physically get away from someone who hasn't showered in weeks would be a valuable ability.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2022, 06:50:55 AM

Since the cerebellum is really important for motor function, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to think being able to physically get away from someone who hasn't showered in weeks would be a valuable ability.

sniffs armpit> How can I get away from myself?  :-[

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 23, 2022, 02:47:38 PM

:lol: I'm afraid I can't help you there!

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 24, 2022, 12:50:56 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 23, 2022, 02:47:38 PM

:lol: I'm afraid I can't help you there!

:D I went and got in the rain locker and got the sweat washed off.  :-[

Recusant

:rofl:  I love it!   :brava:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

what is a rain locker?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

I had a very mild case at the end of April 2022. I caught it while I was in hospital with sepsis. If I hadn't told them I had a runny nose and slightly sore throat they wouldn't have tested me and I wouldn't have known.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

No signs of long covid? Still able to sniff the blossoms and savour the bouquet of your beverage?
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on August 05, 2022, 07:59:56 AMNo signs of long covid? Still able to sniff the blossoms and savour the bouquet of your beverage?

No signs of long Covid. However I have lost most of my sense of smell due to diabetes.  >:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2022, 08:02:37 AM
Quote from: Recusant on August 05, 2022, 07:59:56 AMNo signs of long covid? Still able to sniff the blossoms and savour the bouquet of your beverage?

No signs of long Covid. However I have lost most of my sense of smell due to diabetes.  >:(

Splendid on the first count. My condolences on the second. Still. . .  :beer:
— H. L. Mencken