News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

ask a quaker

Started by billy rubin, February 17, 2020, 04:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

ive been an atheist or an agnostic most of my life, but for about 15 years i waz a theist quaker, a member of the society of friends.

now i am a nontheist quaker, still a member of the soc8ety.

one of the first things people say to quakers is,

i thought you all died out.

but we havent. so if you ever have a question that you think you might want to ask a quaker, remember this thread. if i cant figure out something quakerly to say that avoidz me looking stupid, ill pass it on to my wife. ill still look stupid, but she will have an answer

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

No one

When I was in 3rd grade,  Cindi Mozeir moved away, my Dark Side of the Moon album disappeared. Did Cindi take it?

Davin

Quote from: No one on February 17, 2020, 05:05:29 PM
When I was in 3rd grade,  Cindi Mozeir moved away, my Dark Side of the Moon album disappeared. Did Cindi take it?
Asking the important questions.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Inertialmass

Ha, ha.  "I Never Ever Tell A Lie" Quaker gets called out on a big lie and now wants to repair his rep in the 'hood.

billy rubin

Quote from: No one on February 17, 2020, 05:05:29 PM

yes, and she felt very bad about it for a whole week. then she decided she deserved it more than you did.

No one

George Washington is a member of this forum?
Will make Halle Berry return my calls?
What are the winning lotto numbers?
Will Cindi get eaten by a shark?
Why is 2019 afraid of 2020?
Are these important enough?

xSilverPhinx

So, why the name 'quaker'? Do quakers have some sort of quake dance that causes the earth and sea to quake? Like a rain dance, but with geological vibrations instead of rain...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: Inertialmass on February 17, 2020, 06:15:23 PM
Ha, ha.  "I Never Ever Tell A Lie" Quaker gets called out on a big lie and now wants to repair his rep in the 'hood.

Is this a book you read or a Netflix original series?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 17, 2020, 09:21:06 PM
So, why the name 'quaker'? Do quakers have some sort of quake dance that causes the earth and sea to quake? Like a rain dance, but with geological vibrations instead of rain...

lol

two ancient hoary legends deal with it

one of them has it that the founder george fox got lippy in one of his many legal battles and told the judge to "quake in fear of the lord." the judge looked down and asked whether george was a quaker, and the rest is history.

the other is that the early quakers did jump and quake in ecstatic convulsions during meeting. contemporary accounts are pretty odd.

you don't see it these days, although there's a minister in my meeting who starts trembling just before he leaps to his feet when he has something to say. he scares the shit out of me when he does that.

Sandra Craft

I always imagine the nickname "Quaker" coming from something like the "quivering brethren" of Cold Comfort Farm.  Tho I'm not sure Quakers go in for fire and brimstone sermons.  Do they?

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

billy rubin

that was hilarious.

maybe it was like that originally, but the quakers of my persuasion are a quiet lot.

the practice is called "waiting worship," and means that when it's more or less time, everybody filters in and sits down. there is no start to the meeting, it begins as soon as enough people sit down.

for an hour or so, nobody says anything, unless they are individually led to. no songs, no recited prayers, no readings.

no priests, either, or sermons.

sometimes someone will be led to stand up and speak, sometimes nobody says anything at all.

when its over, everybody shakes hands and goes to see whether there's anything to eat in the kitchen. no specific ending time, but customarily about an hour these days.

the practice seems to work for both theists and non-theists. my meeting is explicitly theist, but they haven't thrown me out yet,

Old Seer

Q- There now is 2 different interpretations of biblical creation.
1- creation is a forming of the material universe.
2- creation is a psychological (mental/spiritual) construction.

Which one is correct.

Q- regardless off which one is correct why didn't the leaders of religion know about the other. 
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

quakers arent united on biblical creation, or on anything else, including the bible. the protestant quakers go with biblical literalism. liberal quakers take a nonliteral view and al8gn with mainstream secularists. conservative quakerz could be anywhere on the map.

buddhist. pagan, or atbeist quakers would ask what the bible has to do with it in the first place.

i dont know why people dont know things, except for the usual reason of not being in the right place at the right time.

Kusa

Ask a Quaker.

What is your secret recipe for oats?

TallRed

Quote from: billy rubin on February 17, 2020, 04:49:05 PM
ive been an atheist or an agnostic most of my life, but for about 15 years i waz a theist quaker, a member of the society of friends.

now i am a nontheist quaker, still a member of the soc8ety.

one of the first things people say to quakers is,

i thought you all died out.

but we havent. so if you ever have a question that you think you might want to ask a quaker, remember this thread. if i cant figure out something quakerly to say that avoidz me looking stupid, ill pass it on to my wife. ill still look stupid, but she will have an answer
Please ask your wife if someone who argues that morality is meaningless without a deity backing it up can honestly be considered an agnostic or an atheist. Thanks so much.

While you're at it, please ask your wife if Richard Nixon was a Quaker in good standing when he was Commander-in-Chief during the closing years of the war in Vietnam.