News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

spirtitual anthingness???

Started by lifeatlast, July 01, 2008, 11:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Happysmiley"I don't believe in ghosts or anything of that sort, but i do believe there is a spiritual aspect to our world. Not really sure what, but just something that connects people.

For example:
Both my grandfather and his sister were on the brink of death. My grandfather's wife overheard him talking in his sleep and saying "No, it's all right. You go on ahead. I'm not quite ready yet." The next day, his sister had passed on. He lingered for a few days and then died himself.

And has anyone ever heard stories about mothers of teenagers who suddenly woke up in the middle of the night the moment their kid got in a car wreck?

I think there's some merrit to that. Maybe it's all coincidental, but I think that there's something that can't be seen, but can tie people together. I think that the idea of gods comes from people trying to personify these connections and make them sentient. I find that ridiculous, but I still think there are things in this world that can't be proven.

It's easy to see these things when you're always looking for them.Mothers worry all the time anyway,so it seems natural that this would happen.Of course not everything can be proven but we sure try  :D

myleviathan

Quote from: "Smallville"For a long time I had wanted to believe in the supernatural because it opened up the door to everything fantastic. Worlds within worlds within worlds of possibilities. But simple reality set in.

This reminds me of passages from "The Demon Haunted World - Science as a Candle in the Dark" from Carl Sagan. The basic theme of the book is that people should put their efforts in the true wonders that science and pursuit of truth can reveal, instead of the empty pursuit of religion/witchcraft/superstition. If only we as a human race could put the kind of effort into biochemistry, physics, and astronomy that we have put into faith in miracles, ghosts, or whatever, imagine the 'worlds within worlds' that could be discovered. It's a really exciting thought.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Steve Reason

No, nothing as far as a different reality goes. But sure, we all have some sort of sense of wonder that I guess you could call spiritual. Things like crying at a movie or to music, being moved by the beauty of nature, wondering about the cosmos and just what more is yet to be discovered, or being engrossed in a great book, etc. Of course those things can be rationally explained, but that doesn't make it any less moving or "spiritual".

I don't question emotion and things that I don't understand and try to dissect it and explain it away, because I know everything has a sound reason being it. I just enjoy the moment and take it for what it is. I know, scientifically speaking, why I get scared if I'm in a dark forest at night, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the moment for what it is. So I guess in that vein you can call me spiritual.

But real ghosts, spirits, gods and other invisible things? No, not real, just mankind's pathetic attempt to explain something that's not (or wasn't) fully understood, when just enjoying the wonderment of it would have sufficed.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/