Quote from: hermes2015 on January 19, 2020, 03:14:06 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 18, 2020, 07:08:12 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 18, 2020, 07:05:17 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 18, 2020, 06:49:08 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 18, 2020, 10:13:25 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 18, 2020, 06:52:52 AM
"Bearded Dudes Have Taken Over."

:query:
I just find men with facial hair very attractive.

My friends and I have had many discussions about the fascinating subject of preferences and their origins. Even in a reasonably homogeneous group of guys we have astonishingly varied tastes in men.
Could you please tell me the origin of preferring hairy men? Please.  :)

Or smoothies, for that matter. I'm afraid nobody came up with a convincing hypothesis during our speculations. I would like to know as well but have never taken the time to trace any research articles on the internet. I'm sure someone, somewhere, has postulated some evolutionary reason.
I'm sure someone, somewhere, has postulated some evolutionary reason, but I have never taken the time to trace any research articles on the internet either.  :grin:

There are some nice ones out there:

And some...welll:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

:lol:

I too have never taken the time to trace any research articles on the internet but I suspect it has to do with testosterone. It seems the hormone facilitates beard growth, and it is said women tend to prefer more 'manly men', i.e. men with more outward signs of testosterone, when in the fertile phase of the menstrual cycle. In other phases we tend to prefer a 'family man', or so they say.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

It's interesting how some OPs cause a chain reaction.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

obviously smooth- shaven men are attractive to women because they rezemble infants, and trigger an instinctive mothering instinct.

this could easily be tested by having bearded men dress in diapers and observing whether women are attracted to them on tbe street in the zame way.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on January 19, 2020, 09:28:00 AM
obviously smooth- shaven men are attractive to women because they rezemble infants, and trigger an instinctive mothering instinct.

this could easily be tested by having bearded men dress in diapers and observing whether women are attracted to them on tbe street in the zame way.

:lol:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

in my line of work we re all conzcious of making the appropriate fashion staement.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on January 19, 2020, 03:45:09 PM

in my line of work we re all conzcious of making the appropriate fashion staement.
:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on January 19, 2020, 09:28:00 AM

:lol: That is a testable hypothesis!

Icarus

Men who have facial hair around their mouth risk getting food tangled in the nearby hair shafts.  Try observing a bearded man at an Italian restaurant.  He will have marinara sauce in his facial  hair.  Yuck! 

The short beards, say a four to six day growth only makes the mans face appear to need some soap and water.   That is a fashionable look?  Well, yes it is the only way to go at this particular time.  Ten years ago, Skinny pants and Brown shoes with a dark suit would have caused a man to be denied entrance into a high end restaurant.  Now that trend is quite fashionable. 

There is no accounting for tastes.  Something in my curmudgeonly old brain causes me  mild annoyance.   It is based on the fact that fashion is dictated for us by Madison Avenue, or Parisian chic designers who decide what is in and what is out.  Vogue magazine and several others promote the dictates  of those designer types. Practicality be damned. 

The skinny pants bit may have been influenced by the manufacturers of those pants.  Making the legs and crotch smaller (and less comfortable) does save some material.  Multiply the small savings of material by tens of thousands or millions and you get the idea.  We consumers are being played for suckers.

Don't even get me started about those men in  Dallas, Houston,  and other Texas cities where cowboy boots and 10 gallon hats are de rigueur for men of substance...... or at least pretend substance.

I'll wager that both me, JJ, and Billy Rubin will be more than happy and a damned sight more comfortable when wearing baggy overalls.  We won't be allowed inside fancy restaurants however.

I agree with the bearded ones that shaving is a bother.  But then so is bathing. 

Dernier cri is bullshit foisted upon us by those who might profit from our naievety.

OK I will go to my room now.

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

only the one on the right is cat-proof.

Magdalena