News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Ecurb's travels

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 27, 2019, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Street musicians - some really good ones in Mexico City. Right in front of my hotel a guy sounded like Pavarotti, and an older cellist played with the passion and skill of YoYo Ma or Pablo Casals (IMO). He did a rendition of Schubert's Serenade that fed my soul.  These a talented people.

Ecurb Noselrub

This past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

St. Mary's High Hill.

Sts. Cyril & Methodias, Dubina.

St. Mary's, Praha.

After the tour, we went to the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas, and drank some Shiner beer - founded by Germans. After that, we ate at Lucy Tequila's in Schulenberg, so we mixed Mexican, German and Czech cultures. A true Texas Fusion day.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 29, 2022, 11:08:09 PMThis past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

Is that a depiction of the FSM, near the top?  ;)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 30, 2022, 12:22:53 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 29, 2022, 11:08:09 PMThis past weekend my wife and I traveled to Schulenburg, Texas, in the middle of a large German, Czech, and Polish area of Texas. Thousands immigrated here from the Old Country in the 1800s. We did a tour of the "painted churches", which are beautiful. I know most don't care about churches here, but the interiors of these wooden Czech Catholic churches are amazing. Here are some photos:

Is that a depiction of the FSM, near the top?  ;)

Ha, done in pretty Bauernmalerei style.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Churches or any other structure with such beauty and demonstration of fine art and exceptional craftmanship, definitely earn my respect.

On the other hand, I tend to think of such magnificence as a monument to man's ego rather than a temple of God.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on May 01, 2022, 06:44:11 AMChurches or any other structure with such beauty and demonstration of fine art and exceptional craftmanship, definitely earn my respect.

On the other hand, I tend to think of such magnificence as a monument to man's ego rather than a temple of God.

There is probably some truth to that. Over time these churches have served as much as a point of community pride and an inspiration of a sense of identity as they have a place of worship.

Buddy

Beautiful pictures Bruce!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.