News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

...So does it being flourless mean that it is made netirely from chocolate then..? :notsure:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

bought an older beretta, maybe 40 years? beretta doesnt keep track of the numbers.

gave my little pocket pistol to my daughter who was living in her truck in parking lots in nevada while she worked for a forestry company. so ive been driving my truck into and out of miscellaneous bad urban neighborhoods in the predawn for some time.

this is a surplus italian police weapon, .380 calibre, which is just a shortened 9mm. bigger than a pocket pistol, smaller than a full frame gun. single stack magazine, so it only holds 9 rounds, but thats all i need to make a stink long enough to run away from trouble, i hope.

looking for a polite way to carry it, at the moment

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

No picture, but the realtor thinks it's a real good idea to have a GFCI outlet in the bathroom of the house we're selling. The previous fixture had a non-GFCI outlet, so when the light switch went bad I replaced only the switch. Electrical code for damp spaces requires a GFCI outlet. The only one carried by the store I went to cost $32>:( 

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

DL, do you have ceiling fans? some places make you buy em before you can sell

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2023, 07:45:50 PMGFCI?
Sorry. Ground Fault Current Interrupter. If a low resistance path is detected downstream of the outlet, it triggers the power off.

Billy, only one bedroom has a ceiling fan. Our listing agent made no mention of more fans. This house was built in the '50s and most rooms don't even have lights in the ceilings. Back then it was lamps on tables.

Tank

Ah! An ELCB! Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2023, 09:25:43 PMAh! An ELCB! Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker.

Sounds about right, you guys use "earth" for our word "ground". International communities like this provide a larger vocabulary.

billy rubin

in davis ca the permit for a ceiling fan was $8 and if you didnt buy one for any fans you had you couldnt sell the house

Icarus

One of the bedroom lights flicker at times. The adjoining bathroom light does the same. Wife announced this morning that she could smell ozone, but in a different part of the house. Checked every switch and recepticle for excess heat......nothing.....checked every circuit breaker ....nothing.  The next alternative is for me, the ancient one, to crawl through the attic which is covered deeply with fiberglass insulation.  I need to find the junction box that may....or may not,  have a connection that is arcing.

OH happy day!

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on January 15, 2023, 01:29:25 AMin davis ca the permit for a ceiling fan was $8 and if you didnt buy one for any fans you had you couldnt sell the house

That's pretty draconian. I'm not seeing that here, though the house we are selling is in the city of LA. I live in another county. But the realtor we are using hasn't said anything about fans. As far as I am concerned, as long as the inspector doesn't flag any problems, the house is good to go, as-is.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on January 15, 2023, 02:42:59 AMOne of the bedroom lights flicker at times. The adjoining bathroom light does the same. Wife announced this morning that she could smell ozone, but in a different part of the house. Checked every switch and recepticle for excess heat......nothing.....checked every circuit breaker ....nothing.  The next alternative is for me, the ancient one, to crawl through the attic which is covered deeply with fiberglass insulation.  I need to find the junction box that may....or may not,  have a connection that is arcing.

OH happy day!

Hire someone for that! They have equipment to detect that sort of thing without even going into the attic.

ETA- We had a similar situation at our rental properly- at least the flickering lights- in a bathroom. Just turned out to be the switch. No heating detected.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2023, 09:25:43 PMAh! An ELCB! Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker.

Tank, here it is a legal requirement that all outlets be protected by earth leakage circuit breakers (as we call them as well). I assume that is the case in the UK as well?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

the american national electrical code requires GFCI anywhere the outlet is within 6 feet of a sink, shower, or any source of water. also exterior outlets

The Magic Pudding.

I ordered a $50 yoga mat for $4, bargain.
I use my exercise bike everyday, to hang my clothes on.
Not sure what I'll use the yoga mat for, something...