News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

It is indeed the blue rubber handle. I'm not sure how I'll like it, I'ma fan of wood for handles. Driving nails with a two pound sledge sounds, fun. No, not really!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

For a whopping US$2! :grin:

Talk about reliving the past. I used to play this game on my Nintendo NES when I was a kid. Good times.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

The tiny screen on the 3DS makes it difficult but it never was an easy game.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 26, 2019, 12:40:21 AM
The tiny screen on the 3DS makes it difficult but it never was an easy game.

I think the hardest part is getting used to the controls. You know when you have to glance at the buttons every now and then you're pretty much a noob.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Michadoh

Just bought a vintage persian rugs from our local store here in Minneapolis.

The first time I saw that kind of rug is on my cousin's house. It looks really great as it enlightens their room stylishly. The rug also made the floor really comfortable and suitable for the kids (I'm talking about their indoor activity).

Nothing more nothing less. It felt right when I bought it.

Tank

An under water go-pro style camera for use in my pond.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Has anyone here had experience with Wolverine boots and shoes?  I didn't buy these; my ex bought me these boots and shoes this morning, both made by Wolverine.

My usual shoes and boots have been Dr Martens for the last 40 years. The first thing I noticed about these was that they were very comfortable, unlike the Docs, that take about a month, sometimes longer, of pain to break in.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I have a pair of Wolverine Wellington's and they are very comfortable. So comfortable that I didn't realize that they are steel toe until I had to appear in court and set off the metal detector... The toe box on Wolverine boots is fantastic.

I have experienced some partially separation of the sole right at the toe, but that is after two years of fairly hard use and abuse. Now my Wolverines are relegated to rough service. I have a pair of fancy looking boots by Ariat that are almost as comfortable in the toe but much nicer in the heel. They have that pop when your foot goes in and out. Better ankle support without any rubbing.

No one

A file, I've been keeping the Earth round with it.

billy rubin

annealed tool steel bar, machined straight at 0.6875 inches, accurate to 0.001 inches.

it's for making sure the connecting rods on my racing motorcycle are straight. you lubricate the bar a bit and then slip it into the litle ends of the connecting rods, after the motor is together but without pistons. if it goes in both litle end bushes, the rods are straight.  if it doesn't, they're twisted or bent.

cheap tool to save problems later that could be easily corrected early.

if you drop it you're screwed

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

Why annealed? Wouldn't a hardened precision ground pin be better?

billy rubin

i don't know. the steel can still be hardened, but i don't know if that would change the dimensionality.

might be simply that the guy that makes them wants to save his lathe bits, and since there's no hard use a softer rod will work as well as a hardened one. it's basically nothing more than a go-no-go gauge. it's convenient for me because i have three machines that will use it.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Annealed and then turned and ground/polished to size. Depending on how it is hardened, a small warping could occur, which would be detrimental to its use. One could grind a hardened bar, but that would take more labor and use more of whatever the manufacturer would use for final sizing, in terms of materials.

jumbojak

I guess cost would be the determining factor. I bet McMaster has exactly that pin in stock though... Hmm...

billy rubin

i get most of my stuff from online metals

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/alloy-steel/0-6875-alloy-steel-round-bar-4140-annealed-cold-finish/pid/15487

they sell the 0.6875, but it's rough stuff out of the racks. cheap, but nicked and rough-sawed, usually. this piece is bought a bit oversize, then trimmed down

i think it will work for me so long as i don't forget what it is and use it as a drift with a big hammer. i'm not very smart about remembering that stuff.