News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

a rebuilt shifter quadrant spindle for a 1969 BSA

part number 41

this is a very nice bike i bought years ago whenm i had more money that has been sitting in my warehouse . . .waiting . . .

i finally decided to go ahead and rewire it lik eit needed and discovered the gearshift lever was loose and going round and round instead of clicking gears like it is supposed to. the problem was obvious, messed up splines on the end:

for reasons known only to the designers at birmingham small arms, the shifter spindle on BSAs is a skinny little half-inch rod with tiny little splines, just waiting for somebody with a big boot to push on it too hard. for years there was a market for rebuilding them , but i have one that somebody tried to get creatinve with by putting a grubscrew in the lever:

not very successfully.

so this used to be a common fix, but how many people are there, really, trying to fix their 50 year old BSAs these days?

luckily for me, there is at least one other guy, and for the princely sum of $45 he sold me a rebuilt spindle that he has had for some decades in a box in his own building.

no picture, but its in the mail. its part of this odd combined gearbox-timing chest thing that bsa did when they designed their unit engines. only one camshaft, easy access but you have to remove two (2) covers to get this far. but if nothing falls out its easy enough to put it back

so soon ill have this old thunderbolt back on the road, new wires, lights, and for reasons i cannot fully understand, an ancient points ignition and primitive rectifier/zener diode i put in after i took out the perfectly good transistor setup it already had.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

so far all the lights work and theres voltage at the coils that goes on and off with the ignition key. once i get the covers back on i shall see whether it starts

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

That really is a beautiful machine.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

BSA made beautiful machines. just off beat in design.

i love the old singles

hermes2015

This isn't something I bought! This afternoon I received a Dell UltraSharp U2723QE monitor as a gift from my ex.

https://uk.pcmag.com/monitors/140669/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2723qe

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2723qe/apd/210-bcxk/monitors-monitor-accessories

It comes with a colour calibration certificate, so will be ideal for the kind of photo editing and 3D graphics design stuff I do. I've been using it for a few hours and I am very impressed with the colour accuracy and the 4K display resolution.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 14, 2022, 03:59:32 PMThis isn't something I bought! This afternoon I received a Dell UltraSharp U2723QE monitor as a gift from my ex.

https://uk.pcmag.com/monitors/140669/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2723qe

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2723qe/apd/210-bcxk/monitors-monitor-accessories

It comes with a colour calibration certificate, so will be ideal for the kind of photo editing and 3D graphics design stuff I do. I've been using it for a few hours and I am very impressed with the colour accuracy and the 4K display resolution.

I think someone should have a word with your ex wife.
She is undermining the universally accepted stereotype of an ex wife.
The only things she should be giving you are words of derision and looks of contempt, its in the code.

hermes2015

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on December 15, 2022, 02:47:23 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on December 14, 2022, 03:59:32 PMThis isn't something I bought! This afternoon I received a Dell UltraSharp U2723QE monitor as a gift from my ex.

I think someone should have a word with your ex wife.
She is undermining the universally accepted stereotype of an ex wife.
The only things she should be giving you are words of derision and looks of contempt, its in the code.

Ha, I will do anything to prevent that! On a serious note, we have a close relationship and share many common interests in the arts, design, and music. She is now like the sister I never had. If it weren't for one little detail, we would still be married.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

The Asmo bought diesel at 2.2-ish USD per litre, or just-over-or-under 8 bucks a US gallon.

He is rhetorically displeased. He remembers the days when it cost half that.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

A set of battery powered dinosaur Christmas lights.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Anne D.

Quote from: Tank on December 15, 2022, 03:02:20 PMA set of battery powered dinosaur Christmas lights.

Oh cool! Can we see them?

billy rubin

Icarus

I bought things at the grocery store of course.

The toys that I bought recently are a pair of Nordic Walking poles. Nordic Walking is sort of like using ski poles. Great fun and wonderful non stress exercise. About $40 from amazon. Made in Germany. Good quality parts.

Try it, you will surely like it if you want to get some good, non stress, lower extremity and upper body exercise.  You may also attract public attention because it is not widely practiced by ordinary people who have not yet discovered this odd ball way of walking. The result of using the poles is that the length of stride is increased by a considerable amount without extra effort.

Goddammit!!!!  I have not yet bought the catalytic converter to replace the one that was stolen from my Honda Element car.  That kind of thievery has been going around for a while. The thieves can remove the catalytic converter in about five minutes or less from your car. Of course it is done in the dead of night while I peacefully sleep.  The replacement cost varies from about $2000  (more than $6000 if you happen to have a Lambroghini).

One of the most often hit vehicles is the Toyota Tundra Pickup truck. The big engine model of this truck has four cat converters.  All converters contain Palladium, Platinum, and Rhodeum. They are stolen by the tens of thousands and sold on the criminal market for the valuable elements that they contain. 

Tank

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on December 19, 2022, 04:17:37 AMI bought things at the grocery store of course.

The toys that I bought recently are a pair of Nordic Walking poles. Nordic Walking is sort of like using ski poles. Great fun and wonderful non stress exercise. About $40 from amazon. Made in Germany. Good quality parts.

Try it, you will surely like it if you want to get some good, non stress, lower extremity and upper body exercise.  You may also attract public attention because it is not widely practiced by ordinary people who have not yet discovered this odd ball way of walking. The result of using the poles is that the length of stride is increased by a considerable amount without extra effort.

Goddammit!!!!  I have not yet bought the catalytic converter to replace the one that was stolen from my Honda Element car.  That kind of thievery has been going around for a while. The thieves can remove the catalytic converter in about five minutes or less from your car. Of course it is done in the dead of night while I peacefully sleep.  The replacement cost varies from about $2000  (more than $6000 if you happen to have a Lambroghini).

One of the most often hit vehicles is the Toyota Tundra Pickup truck. The big engine model of this truck has four cat converters.  All converters contain Palladium, Platinum, and Rhodeum. They are stolen by the tens of thousands and sold on the criminal market for the valuable elements that they contain. 

Paint the new one an outlandish color and scratch the serial number of your vehicle on it prominently. :smilenod:

Last thing I bought was groceries, too.

Anne D.

A slice of a flourless chocolate torte. One of the finer things in life.