News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

what's the last thing you bought?

Started by billy rubin, November 01, 2019, 09:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

heavens i already have buyers remorse.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

but i took it back the next day and got my two hundred bucks refunded.

Quote from: jumbojak on January 09, 2020, 01:33:53 AM
They are humungously expensive, especially with aluminum handles. Why didn't you go for cast iron? If you ever put a cheater on that one you will bend it into a pretzel.

I keep pairs on hand from 8" to 24" with a single 36" remaining. We broke mate of the 36". That was a wild day.

i didn't do cast iron because there weren't any of those for sale at the (expensive) industrial supply house that i try to keep in business. they were iron all the way up to the minimum size that would fit.

that place carries tools, fasteners, chemicals, and odds and ends that i otherwise would have to drive thirty or forty miles to find. for example, i recently needed to buy a 1.7-inch allen wrench to adjust the laser sights on a small pistol. they had a box of them. when i need a 3/4-inch 3/8-24 socket bolt, they have them. or 1/4-20 socket bolts in any length i need. i use a lot of them. or taper, bottoming, and plug taps. right there, even a number 2-56, which i needed a while back. ornamental iron and aluminum, so i don't have to mail order it. i bought a decent wright torquen wrench there a while back. first click-type i've ever had. used it once and wondered why i'd never bought one before. the only thing they don't have that would simplify my life are fasteners in CEI thread. but nobody does cycle thread anymore.

i'm willing to pay more for stuff in order to keep a local supplier profitable. but a two-hundred dollar pipe wrench i will never use crossed the line, even for me.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

That's really cool that you have a supplier like that. Especially if they're willing to do business with an individual. The best we can do is Grainger and you have to have an account to deal with them in person. They'll sell online, at their enormous markup, but in person they look at you like you have two heads and no ass.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

i've never had that problem with grainger, but i haven't dealt with them since i ran a beekeeping outfit. back then i was a bottomless pit for industrial supplies, and they just handed me whatever i needed.

the wheel and tire place was the same way. they had two or three 8-foot stacks of E-rated 16-inch off-road tires they kept for the local beekeepers and sheepherders, and i just bought what they had when i needed them. didn't even negotiate very long about  repairs for the trucks:

the head gasket gasket leaks on my one-ton. how soon can you fix it?

how many miles?

three hundred thousand.

<long silent pause>

okay, i'll buy a new engine. how soon can you fix it?

next week.

wrote a lot of very big checks to lots of people.

No one

billy rubin

Icarus

Bought  Sony wireless earphones. Makes TV watching much more pleasing because I can better understand what the hell the people on The TV are saying.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on January 15, 2020, 05:56:36 AM
Bought  Sony wireless earphones. Makes TV watching much more pleasing because I can better understand what the hell the people on The TV are saying.

In my day people wouldn't get a job on the TV unless they had proper diction.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Some safety shoes so I don't have to use the one's where I'm doing my wood working course.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

You have them for a course and don't want to use them for something else or you need them for the course and don't want to use the ones you already have?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on January 23, 2020, 12:06:21 AM
You have them for a course and don't want to use them for something else or you need them for the course and don't want to use the ones you already have?

I don't want to use the one's that already have and as I intend to use them for other courses and when I'm doing things myself it was time to invest in a pair. Plus a £10 of voucher from Screwfix dropped through my door on Saturday. So win-win :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

I forgot to take my safety shoes home when I retired, so I currently have none. Probably ought to get some, but the only shoes I can do any standing in are my Hoka One One shoes. My poor arthritic feet can't take anything else. The surgery I endured last May didn't help much for relief.

Siz

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 23, 2020, 04:23:26 PM
I forgot to take my safety shoes home when I retired, so I currently have none. Probably ought to get some, but the only shoes I can do any standing in are my Hoka One One shoes. My poor arthritic feet can't take anything else. The surgery I endured last May didn't help much for relief.
I just bought some Hoka One as a help for my plantar fasciitis. At £170 ($220) a pair, they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Hope they last, but so far so good after two months.
Gonna have to go and buy the trainer version now at £105. 🙄

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

jumbojak

I'm considering a pair of safety shoes as an alternative to my boots. I dearly love my Ariats but they are quite heavy. The pop when inserting or removing your foot is very satisfying.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Siz on January 23, 2020, 06:25:12 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 23, 2020, 04:23:26 PM
I just bought some Hoka One as a help for my plantar fasciitis. At £170 ($220) a pair, they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Hope they last, but so far so good after two months.
Gonna have to go and buy the trainer version now at £105. 🙄

I'll have a look at the trainer version. I went to the client appreciation dinner that our money people throw for the "high rollers" :rolleyes: in jeans and my Hoka One One shoes.  ;D The guy who ran the whole show before is retired now, and he always shows up in jeans, I think I should be allowed.