News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Billy when you run out of LSR things to think about, think about where the torque curve is. Max torque will occur at 5250 and after that it begins to decline.  You have seen plenty of dyno graphs, right?

In the case where you have a course where you start from zero and then build up speed, the way you roll the throttle on will make a difference in velocity gain. petting the throttle a wee tad in the mid range can be advantageous.

You can fiddle with this equation when you need something else to ponder.   Torque (inch pounds) = (HP x 63025)/RPM........you can transpose the equation to get...........(RPM x Torque)/63025= HP  and so on...

I am thinking of the Kawasaki and all those revs that you mentioned before. .............I miss all this stuff. It was great fun when I was heavy into the madness.

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on May 27, 2020, 06:40:19 AM
In the case where you have a course where you start from zero and then build up speed, the way you roll the throttle on will make a difference in velocity gain. petting the throttle a wee tad in the mid range can be advantageous.

9kay, now what exactly do youmean?

i have only four gear, with open pipe reversion around 3000 to 3500. most of myhorsepower is higher up.

i shift into second around 6500 rpm, third around the same, then i try to  holdthe throttle open until to 7500, so the rpms stay high afterthe shift.

then i just hold it wfo to as close to 8000 as it wil go and get out of the wind.

whatexactly are you suggesting with throttle position?

why 5250?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on May 26, 2020, 09:13:06 PM
pratt and whitney R-4360 Radial "Corn Cob" Engine

four banks of seven  https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/195794/pratt-whitney-r-4360-wasp-major/cylinders. ttoo fuzzy to see the finning well, but it looks really graceful

I'm not sure that's what you've said it is. There are 8 cylinder heads along the length. There could be 7 radially arranged of which you can see 5. Here is the engine  https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/195794/pratt-whitney-r-4360-wasp-major/

I think the engine in your picture is either a stunning bit of photoshop or a truly insane bit of engineering!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i think youre right about that. it looks like TWO 4360s stuck together

heres the 4360 without the rococco

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 05:50:17 AM

Well, I got one cheap and the manifold, too. Under extremely hard cornering, one side of the carb would starve 4 cylinders, the other 4 would get too much fuel. Of course the other guys had similar carburetors, but they were generally straight-line rockets, because they were raised in the back for the bigger tires. So they couldn't corner that fast. I'd lose miserably in a race on the freeway. One of my friends had a '62 Grand Prix with a 389, tri-power and a 4 speed. I don't know the rear end ratio, but it topped out at about 130, and got there quickly. Pontiacs don't rev that high without lots of prep, and he eventually spun a rod bearing. I could get my Malibu to 120, but it took over a mile, with that 3.08 axle ratio.

how did you figure out what was causing the fuel distribution issue? i know some people weld ridgesinto the floors ofthe manifolds trying to redirect liquid fuel to the lean side, but you have to know whats happening first.

i remember the six pack manifolds. they now say that theyre not a lot better than a single four barrel, but thats comparing them to something like a newish holley. and you still cannot beat them for cool.

The floats are paired on a common body, and when the fuel goes to one side of the bowl, the needle closes on the seat. I think that the metering jets on one side would still have fuel but the other side would run out of fuel. If I had had fuel injection, I'd probably have killed myself.

Six packs and dual quads make great sound, that's for sure.

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 27, 2020, 04:19:28 PM
If I had had fuel injection, I'd probably have killed myself.

its never too late

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 03:40:14 PM
i think youre right about that. it looks like TWO 4360s stuck together

heres the 4360 without the rococco

It's an amazing piece of engineering.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 04:54:14 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 27, 2020, 04:19:28 PM
If I had had fuel injection, I'd probably have killed myself.

its never too late

:o Killing myself!?

:lol: I know what you really meant! Nah, I'm at a point in my life where testosterone and gasoline are no longer miscible.  :sadshake:

billy rubin

lol

you just think youre old because your joints hurt all the time and you cant close your fingers when you get up

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 08:26:53 PM
lol

you just think youre old because your joints hurt all the time and you cant close your fingers when you get up

I have noticed that my hands won't completely close in the morning. Fortunately I only have arthritis in my hands, feet and back, but no other joint pain.  ::) TBH, I don't think that I could ride the motorcycle like you do. My hands won't hold something like the handlebars for that long, even after I had carpal tunnel release surgery. That got rid of the source of the neurological damage, at least halting it.

The saying goes, "If you're over 50 and you woke up in the morning with nothing hurting, you died in your sleep!"  :P

Randy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 27, 2020, 10:00:50 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 08:26:53 PM
lol

I have noticed that my hands won't completely close in the morning. Fortunately I only have arthritis in my hands, feet and back, but no other joint pain.  ::) TBH, I don't think that I could ride the motorcycle like you do. My hands won't hold something like the handlebars for that long, even after I had carpal tunnel release surgery. That got rid of the source of the neurological damage, at least halting it.

The saying goes, "If you're over 50 and you woke up in the morning with nothing hurting, you died in your sleep!"  :P

So you're saying I'm old too? Well, nuts. You just shattered my fantasies.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

with me its not arthritis, its that the tendons that work my fingers have lost elasticty and get kinks in them overnight from resting over the knuclkle joints

so when it try to move my fingers they wont flexeasily. when i open the hands the tendons make my fingers move in little jerks while the kinks ride over the knuvckle joints.

after an hour or two9of use they loosen up, moztly

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 11:00:05 PM
with me its not arthritis, its that the tendons that work my fingers have lost elasticty and get kinks in them overnight from resting over the knuclkle joints

so when it try to move my fingers they wont flexeasily. when i open the hands the tendons make my fingers move in little jerks while the kinks ride over the knuvckle joints.

I know woodworking guys who dip their hands in melted paraffin to help with that and arthritis. Here's a video made by some occupational therapists. Note that the four dips help make the wax thick enough to more easily peel off, though they don't say it in the video. I'll be buying one of these tubs, eventually. If one were concerned with cleanliness, they could wear a nitrile or latex glove. They talk about scars but I'm not sure how that equates to "dirty". After my many years of working with my hands, a lot of scars are simply disfigured by other scars. My most "famous" one was when I burned my hand on a Volvo exhaust manifold.  :o I had the part number burned on in reverse. That was in the '80s, so it's gotten "hash marked" away by other scars.  ;D Should've taken a picture, but I'm not one to brag about "battle scars"- they were just part of the job.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 27, 2020, 11:00:05 PM

The middle fingers of my hands occasionally behave in the same way, with an odd locked-up behaviour, but there is no pain. Weirdly enough, although it is winter now (last night it got to -1°), I've noticed a sudden improvement and my hands are behaving normally. No doubt my doctor will provide a logical explanation, as she always does.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames