News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

hermes, you cannot hijack this thread. its all one conversation, in the end  and i want to listen to everybody about anything tbey have to say.

the only thing motor heads tell me about aluminum that i have tried is the soap technique.

heat it until abar of soap melts against tge surface. it is hot enough to bend without fracture and cool enoughnot to puddle.

ive used it once on bent foot controls and it workedfor me there.

nobody could tell me what melting point soap to use so i used standard american ivory, a basic lye/animal fat bar.

i think the controls were an alloy similar to 6061, which is pretty damned hard. i dont like it in general because you cant saw it without it work hardening ahead of tbe blade. i use softer stuff where i can and just make things thick.

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

Thanks, Billy. I was anyway intending to report on my bird feeder project in the usual forum I show my stuff in.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

MarcusA

Along the way to nowhere -
burnouts.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 13, 2023, 06:20:57 PMHermes, try this site. These guys are ace metal workers. I post there as Dark Lightning, as well.

https://www.allmetalshaping.com/index.php

Just to let you know that I tried to register over the weekend, but was flagged as a spammer. I sent a message requesting assistance, but by this morning I hadn't received any reply. I tried again a few minutes ago, but the same thing happened, so I've sent another email to the administrators.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

how do you know you were flagged?

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 16, 2023, 05:52:29 AMhow do you know you were flagged?

After filling in the registration form where I gave my personal details, I pressed the submit button. A message popped up to say that my application had been rejected and that I could contact the administrator. That I did, but there was no response. Elsewhere, in the site FAQs, I think I saw that one may be rejected if one is suspected of being a spammer.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 16, 2023, 06:05:02 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 16, 2023, 05:52:29 AMhow do you know you were flagged?

After filling in the registration form where I gave my personal details, I pressed the submit button. A message popped up to say that my application had been rejected and that I could contact the administrator. That I did, but there was no response. Elsewhere, in the site FAQs, I think I saw that one may be rejected if one is suspected of being a spammer.

I'll bet your ISP has a bad reputation and the approval system is triggering. We get the same problem here sometimes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on May 16, 2023, 11:56:05 AM

I'll bet your ISP has a bad reputation and the approval system is triggering. We get the same problem here sometimes.

Or his VPN, maybe.

hermes2015

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on May 16, 2023, 12:02:58 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 16, 2023, 11:56:05 AM

Or his VPN, maybe.

Oh, that's an idea. I never thought of that. Perhaps I should try without my VPN.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Nope, I tried again without using my VPN and I got the same message.

vBulletin Message
Registration denied, this forum runs an active policy of not allowing spammers. Please contact us via the "Contact Us" page link if you believe this is in error

I will just have to wait and see whether they respond to my message.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 16, 2023, 01:00:05 PMNope, I tried again without using my VPN and I got the same message.

vBulletin Message
Registration denied, this forum runs an active policy of not allowing spammers. Please contact us via the "Contact Us" page link if you believe this is in error

If you like, you can give me the handle you will be using there and I'll contact the admin(s) to vouch for you.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 16, 2023, 04:16:03 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 16, 2023, 01:00:05 PMNope, I tried again without using my VPN and I got the same message.

vBulletin Message

If you like, you can give me the handle you will be using there and I'll contact the admin(s) to vouch for you.

Thank you so much for the offer. I will use the name Hermes there.
― Charles Eames

MarcusA

For me, the Indy 500 kills my insomnia.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Tank

Not long now. Three of the recent practice sessions were rained off. It's funny that Indy cars won't run in the wet, yet have windscreens but F1 cars will run in the wet but don't have windscreens.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Had a new experience today at work. A "stretchy" belt needed replacing on one of the machines. There is no adjustment at all. Both pulleys are fixed in place at what would be the absolute maximum tension that the belt can stand. And you have to roll the damn thing on. Under maximum tension. We got it on but I genuinely didn't believe it was possible halfway through.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz