News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

we have normal clutches and transmissions, i just dont use em

if you double clutch when shifting you only press the pedal down maybe half an inch. keep doing that and eventually you just touch the pedal and dont press it, because youre matching the motot and the transmission speed with your foot on the throttle.  then you dont even pick up your foot anymore. i also sometimes goose the throttle to make the motor speed up and slow down and then just lightly pre load the lever. when the speeds match tbe lever snicks out of or into gear.

shifting into and then out of neutral is two movements

big slow truck transmissions are easier than lightweight auto or motocycle boxes, because they have so much inertia they dont notice you sneaking the gearshift lever around

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

It's easy to only use the clutch for take off, but even speed matching without clutching can still accelerate the wear on the synchros.

billy rubin

the one i have now needs a new transmission amyway. it just casually slides out of 3rd and 7th while youre driving. no pops or surprises, just suddenly youre freewheeling.

the standard for these three axle straight trucks is a 6-speed auto. three buttons: D, N, and R. thats all. they work well with a PTO becaise i can move tje truck at the same time as i.load and unload. with tbe manuals  featheribg tbe clutch to move slowly also means the PTO is dead

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

the TT is 47 miles of highway and city streets.

you have to learn it in a few laps of practice and then run it at 175 mph, at 10 tenths.

there is nothing like it in the world.

on the average there are two deaths every year. if i could have run a competitive career there i would happily be one of them.

guy martin is number 8

Dark Lightning

One had better be intimately familiar with that course in order to drive it at those speeds. I've had 3 cars that would do 140+, two Chevrolets and one Pontiac. I blew the engine up in the Pontiac, at 6800 RPM. It wasn't prepped for those kinds of RPM. I never tried that anywhere but in a straight line, either.

billy rubin

yes  it takes years to master the island, and the fsstest ones still fall down. there are literally hundreds of turns to memorize.

what makes itunique is that the race is on public roads and streets. stone walls, kerbs, streetlamps, buildings, trees. if you go off the road you are guarenteed to hit something hsrd over much of the race.

jumbojak

Had to pull a dash from one of the mini trucks today. Only broke one piece.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

All that plastic. Once it ages, it's so brittle. I noticed that the plastic headlight buckets on my econobox, which is only 6 years old, is crazing. Not just surface wear. I'm not anxious to look up the replacement cost.

billy rubin

we have a 2002 ford. bought it for $2000. it has a bad heater core.

to pull the dash and replace the heater core is 16 hours at $100 per hour.

there are youtube workarounds, but that is the flat rate.

we drove without a heater until the transmission died. now its on its way to the hjunkyard

Asmodean

My first long-time car (As in, something I have owned for at least two of what passes locally for MOT test, or three plus years) was an VW Passat from 1993. I bought it for about 3500 Norwegian (Maybe even 2500 - can't quite remember) mid-winter because it had a heater core failure.

There was a local shop where I lived, where you could rent a stall with one of them fancy lifts for a few hours or a day. Very reasonably priced, and you could borrow the tools you did not have from the main shop.

I spent like two days tearing that dash apart, swapping the core and putting it all back together again. The car served me for over three years after that, until rust finally killed it.

In any case, the underdash work is daunting but DIY-able. Still, these days, I'm pretty sure I'd have just driven it to my regular shop and asked them to fix in exchange for money. Getting mechanically lazy as the beard slowly turns gray.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

in our case the money to fix the core was more than the car was worth.

i could have pulled the dash. but the transmission died first

Asmodean

It was kinda' like that with mine - the new core assembly plus hoses, shop time and other such nonsense did cost more than I paid for the car, but then, the car was cheaper than its worth in scrap.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Today's adventure was pulling the fuel tank from an 88 Ford Ranger to replace the fuel pump. Should've yanked the bed to make it easier but pulling the tank revealed the rust damage. Almost completely rotted out in the front. So, a new fuel tank is being ordered... And we'll yank the bed to install the new one.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

guy martin 2016. triumph 675

vastly better to watch unedited. this is 5.minutes out of 47 miles. the concentration to go that fast for so long astonishes me

billy rubin