News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

They had a 1904 Oldsmobile out and about at work today. The tires on it were NON SKID, as in the tread pattern literally said "NON SKID" instead of modern knobbly bits molded into the rubber.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Hang on, it had the text as thread pattern?

That sounds... Potentially unsafe. But also, cool.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Quote from: Asmodean on November 22, 2022, 07:55:50 AMHang on, it had the text as thread pattern?

That sounds... Potentially unsafe. But also, cool.

That's exactly what it has.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

billy rubin

frankly, that would work just fine in normal; surfaces. you could find issues with it re-directing water away from the contact patch in wet weather, but thats about it.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

With that amount of siping there should be no issues with hydroplaning. Those tires were common as dirt back in the day.

hermes2015

From a completely different perspective: I like the look of that will keep the photo as inspiration for a future concrete sculpture.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Back in the day....waaay back in the day, dirt track race cars used Montgomery Ward knobby tires on their dirt tracks. At the time that was the only source for the knobby tires.

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on November 22, 2022, 09:28:07 PM
Oh! This doesn't look half-bad. I envisioned something with the letters going along the direction of rotation, if you know what I mean.

That there... Maybe a tad unbalanced, but prolly just fine.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

tire treadvis an interesting field. on good surfaces, no tread is better than any tread.

but surfaces are not always good.

i have no tread at all on the slicks i use on my race motorcycle.

Asmodean

Yes, Drag racers and Formula 1 cars on dry surfaces run on no to virtually no thread. Better grip that way. More contact  area, I suspect.

Where I'm at though, it tends to be rainy and/or gravelly and/or not particularly flat and debris-free. Then, things like the ability to drive water to the side come to play. I'm a bit sceptical of the Os and the Ds on the above tires as those make nice pockets to hydroplane with, but then... Maybe not?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Quote from: Asmodean on November 24, 2022, 02:38:46 PMYes, Drag racers and Formula 1 cars on dry surfaces run on no to virtually no thread. Better grip that way. More contact  area, I suspect.

Where I'm at though, it tends to be rainy and/or gravelly and/or not particularly flat and debris-free. Then, things like the ability to drive water to the side come to play. I'm a bit sceptical of the Os and the Ds on the above tires as those make nice pockets to hydroplane with, but then... Maybe not?

I think it had more to do with marketing than actual traction. Like, it says right on the tire that it won't skid. It's practically a made for TV infomercial.

Now at work we're rebuilding the brakes on one of the dump trucks. The power steering pump and steering box have both been replaced or rebuilt. New master cylinder, all new rear shoes, hardware, and the drums were turned yesterday. I got halfway through fabbing new rear hardlines as well. Still working on sourcing either a new booster or a proper rebuild kit.

billy rubin

ive had truck issues because all the trucks they give me are the old weird ones:

while your ancient beater is in tbe shop the only truck we have i that kenworth that pops out of 3rd and 7th gear.

and . . . ?

you can drive it?

of course.

. . . so i drive it and the U joints are bad. fix that and the clutch linkage parts at the customer.

my usually-assigned mack is down for hydraulic leaks. so i go pick up a third truck at the main yard, peterbilt, only 600,000 miles, auto trans . . .

youre back in tbe kenworth that pops out of gear.

okay. the HVAC blower is failing, btw

we need to put the new guy in the peterbilt because he cant drive a clutch.

. . . i dont use the clutch much so having one or not is not an issue for me.

onwards

billy rubin

1922 rudge LSR!

at brooklands. when i was a kid brooklands was a ruin and you could canoe under the deteriorTing banking. looks better now. somebody is using it.

shame tbey didnt take the rudge out and open it up. i dont care that its 100years old. it was made to run WFO.

they talk and talk but finally start it up around 11:00

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on November 24, 2022, 05:49:22 PMive had truck issues because all the trucks they give me are the old weird ones:

while your ancient beater is in tbe shop the only truck we have i that kenworth that pops out of 3rd and 7th gear.

and . . . ?

you can drive it?

of course.

. . . so i drive it and the U joints are bad. fix that and the clutch linkage parts at the customer.

my usually-assigned mack is down for hydraulic leaks. so i go pick up a third truck at the main yard, peterbilt, only 600,000 miles, auto trans . . .

youre back in tbe kenworth that pops out of gear.

okay. the HVAC blower is failing, btw

we need to put the new guy in the peterbilt because he cant drive a clutch.

. . . i dont use the clutch much so having one or not is not an issue for me.

onwards

I want to learn to drive without a clutch. We have a water truck setup that way. It's a heap as a water truck but the running gear is good to go.