News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I enjoyed reading your Pirsig-esque musings.  :boaterhat:

I am unable to do most of those things on your list of skills. On the other hand, I can help myself when it comes to computers and software; skills not usually associated with people in my age group.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

this is why i dont do road racing.

https://i.imgur.com/MeP7wlp.mp4

sorry its an imgur.

got to keep to your line, though, else you run off as well

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 02, 2022, 04:55:02 AMI enjoyed reading your Pirsig-esque musings.  :boaterhat:

I am unable to do most of those things on your list of skills. On the other hand, I can help myself when it comes to computers and software; skills not usually associated with people in my age group.

computers are a special case, hermes. kids think that you have to be young to have those abilities, as if age meant that such a technology was mentally inaccessible. but the computer was invented by people who grew up without indoor plumbing. the atomic bombs used to bring in the nuclear age were dragged around the airfields by model T fords. humans went to the moon in a spacecraft held together by pop rivets. and on and on.

an odd period in history, for sure.

jumbojak

If you go to the 13:00 minute mark, that's where I work. Not in those buildings, but I was there that morning getting ready for the shoot.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

holy shit

i want the wurlitzer chevy truck at 18 50

and the microbus at 13 24

what an interesting place to work

Guardian85

So, since I left last time there has been some drama in the vehicle depertment.

After my ex-girlfriend made a mess of my very pretty Alfa Romeo 156

I went and got a Peugeot 206.

Then I had a total brainfart that I wanted a 4x4, so I sold that to my brother to turn into a Rally Cross car and bought a Landrover.
That one promptly lived up to every stereotype regarding British cars and was in the knackers yard inside of a year.

At this point I sat down and had a think, and realized that I really loved owning that old Alfa Romeo that my at-the-time girlfriend decided to launch of a speed bump. So I went and got a new Alfa.
Very happy with it. Looks good, handles great, goes like a stabbed rat.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on October 22, 2022, 05:22:53 PMholy shit

i want the wurlitzer chevy truck at 18 50

and the microbus at 13 24

what an interesting place to work

It can be very interesting. I really want that Porsche tractor. And maybe a pedal car.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

i saw a 1941 wurlitzer chevy 2-ton for sale in california just befor i left.

most people want the little pickup, but i d rather have the full size flatbeds.

$1500

a steal.

id buy it now whether i could afford it or not/

https://hagerty-media-prod.imgix.net/2020/06/1941-Chevrolet-1543-GS-3.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ixlib=php-3.3.0

Recusant

I like the Chevrolet panel truck from that era. This one is too tricked out for my taste, but you get a look at its lines anyway.

For pickups, the Wurlitzer Chevies are hard to beat but I think the late 30s Studebakers definitely give them a run for the money (despite possibly being less practical), particularly the '39.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 06, 2022, 03:05:12 PMSo, since I left last time there has been some drama in the vehicle depertment.

After my ex-girlfriend made a mess of my very pretty Alfa Romeo 156

[. . .]

Ah, man, that was too bad. One of my relatives is an Alfa Romeo enthusiast, and I can see the attraction.

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 06, 2022, 03:05:12 PMVery happy with it. Looks good, handles great, goes like a stabbed rat.

But the story had a happy finish.  :thumbsup2:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Top Gear is back and reviewed a £2 million, 2,000 hp, 4 wheel drive, all electric supercar, the Rimac Nevera. As a matter of interest the test was done at Elvinington air base just up the road from me. Quite astonishing to watch.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Just a little public service announcement;

Since this thread is in a public part of the forum, you may want to consider not posting pictures of vehicles for which you are the registered owner, with the license plate clearly visible.

In the vast majority of cases, it won't ever be an issue. However, "any and all" personal information can be abused.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on November 07, 2022, 10:06:54 AMJust a little public service announcement;

Since this thread is in a public part of the forum, you may want to consider not posting pictures of vehicles for which you are the registered owner, with the license plate clearly visible.

In the vast majority of cases, it won't ever be an issue. However, "any and all" personal information can be abused.

Seconded because cloning number plates is becoming a problem in the UK.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

winter has finally hit us. fter a n extended indian summer, it turned cold a day or two ago. currently 25 F ouside and 40 F working in the warehouse.

as usual there are important things that havent gotten done. the 1`965 BSA thunderbolt has a slipping clutch. could be springs or plates or something odd. no way to tell until i open it up and look, but usually a simple fix.

the LSR needs a new ignition. im finally taking the ancient race magneto off it and installing an electronic ignition. the magneto is dead reliable and has few  ways to go wrong, but its driven by a rubber belt and has about 4 degrees of spark scatter. too much now that im at the very edge of the envelope.

the BSA 441 victor has something broken in the kickstart. not much of a problem because i cant get the bastard to run anyway, but id like to able to ride it now and again.

the 71 honda is still waiting for a 6 volt battery and my attention.

the 70 norton commando needs nothing except me to ride it, as does the 73 suzuk 250, the 97 buell, and the 72 triumph.

the 69 BSA A65 is running after seven years. i need to install new fork boots and un-bend the rear swing arm, but aside from that it was a very satisfactory resurrection.

whats left? my son dropped the kawasak in the mud, twice, and bent the gear shift and cracked the fairing. i refuse to fix it until we resolve th eissue of him not believing me about needing to ride through the mud slowly, and not fastly. hes brave, but has 18-year-old life experience.

the long-awaited 1970 triumph road racer has once again been robbed for parts, and sits.

i have sold the 1969 BSA starfire to someone with more patience than me.

Asmodean

Yeah, Stochholm is all snowed in, I hear. Fender bender season incoming. :(

Today's the first day I too needed my winter rubber. It was largely dry and good conditions, but slippery in places. As fortune would have it, I've had my oil change with the new turbocharger, the brakes are good, the ignition system does the ignitey bits, the battery is new because my alternator exploded a couple of months back - that one is new as well... Yeah. I'm pretty confident about the whole winter business.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.