Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

slow

maxed at 121

set up the pits

then went and picked up the fuel

then three days of lining up to race

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

not just us. i was too busy tuning to tKe photos

one car blew up and caught fire, but other than thay, it was either records, not records, or broken motors

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

i spent an entire day jetting the carburetters for the oxygenated fuel. i went up from 150 main jets to 195 looking for rich.

didnt find it until i borrowed some drill bits and bored two smaller mains out to 206 and 223. even those would carburate at full throttle, but the big ones emptied the float bowls after a mile and would slow down.

the motor hss terrific reversion from the long cams and open pipes, and wouldnt run clean between about 3100 and 5000. so i dropped the needles a notch and went back to the 195s, and it would run correctly. might still do a bit better with 200s, but i dont have any.

drilling jets by hand is really hokey, because it is absolutely NOT exact. but it was all i had.

billy rubin

anyeay, the hot-shot fuel did not work. the bike will run 135 with the old gearing, and i had geared it for 138, hoping a stronger top end would let the motor pull it.

but there was no torque up there. normally i shift at 7200 or so, and the bike is in 4th gear by about 3/4 mile, then accellerates through the mile lights and picks up a few mph by the mile point five.

not this time. it took all of the first mile to top out third gear, even holding the motor WFO to 7500. then tbe rpm would drop to 6200 in fourth and stay there to the lights. 114-115 mph was all it would do, with a 120 and 121.

there was excellent bottom and midrange, but no increase on top where i needed it.

so i left the jets alone and tried ignition timing. this bike runs two sparkplugs per cylinder like an aerpplane, so the timing is way retarded from 38 btdc to 30. the snowmobile tuner who supposedly knrw about this Q16 fuel told me to advance the timing, so i went to 33.

only 114.

so i went to 28.

back to 120.

at this point i was just wearing out the motor, so i parked the bike and went back to helping the kids

and they did pretty good

billy rubin

first day with the kids there was a 13 mph headwind, but they were pulling 97 mph on the little kawasaki anyway. not bad, considering.

then the next day the wind died down and they started clocking 104 and 106.

and that was about as good as it. goes.

got some videos. ill see if i can post em

billy rubin

my machine has no starting mechanism, and the compression is yoo high to push start it. so we haul the starter and a battery around on an old industrial tricycle

billy rubin

No one

Just to be clear, does huffing fumes count as being a petrol head?

Asking for a friend.

billy rubin

i actually did that once

dont recommend it

but fuel has disinct smells. my C12 smelled like honey. lots of people fondly temember the smell of castor oil.

and they tell me nitromethane smells distinct.

cant be worse onnuour lungs than lots ofbothervstuff

billy rubin

one of my sons running 98 on the mile

billy rubin

Icarus

Glad you and the kids made it back alive Billy.  Too bad the trick fuel treated your bike so badly.

billy rubin

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on July 23, 2022, 01:29:37 AMGlad you and the kids made it back alive Billy.  Too bad the trick fuel treated your bike so badly.

nah. not yo worry

i had a ball and learned a lot.

theres a dyno guy the next-fastest triumph tuner recommends in new york.

i think its time to go visit him.

billy rubin

yesterday was a good day. enough time to catch up on things. swept out the front of the warehouse, finally put stuff away from the races, sat back and just fiddled with an old motorcycle for a change. i do this for mental health. when i have a malfunctioning machine, i can click my inner monologue off and go intp autonomous troubleshooting mode. i relocate myself into present time, and everything slows down.  so i pulled out the old 1966 BSA thunderbolt to finish sorting it.

bought this old beater at a farm supply company in the country. had to deal with a leaky fuel tank, a prpblem that you want to solve in the shop, next to four fire extinguishers. not on the road.

i filled the tank with water to force out any gas fumes, flipped it overto drain it,  and then cut away the epoxy that the previous owner had used to ug the leak. thenbrushed it clean, treated with flux, and simply surrounded the leaky bolt seam with a small halo of silver solder. i still dont have oxy-acetylene, so i cant braze anything very large, but mapp gas is way enough heat for silver solder. tested the results eith some left over Q16 and i was good to go.

this old motorcycle suffered a motor blowup some time in its past, and so while everything you can see dates to 1966, the two crankcases have a 1970 number. no idea whats inside em, but everything i can easily reach is 1966, including the ultra primitive charging system, currently held togther behind the primary cover by giant gobs of blue silicone seal i covered it with the last time i looked inside. all the wires were exposed and falling off, but silicone seal works wonders in the right place. while i was messing with the idle, the old air filter fell off. held on just by a hose clamp instead of the usial screw on mount, the little mounting collar had broken its weld. no problem, i thought, i have another on the other old Thunderbolt that ill borrow temporsrilly.

not so simple. to make a long story short, i borrowed the filter, discovered it was a screw on, couldnt remove the mounting collar from the old carb to expose the screw on threads, decided to rob the brand new carburetter from the 1969 441 victor instead, dissassembled old and new carbs to swap the jetting from original to replacement, put the new carb into its new spot, discovered it wouldnt work because id reversed the choke and throttle control cables, corrected the problem, crawled around on my hands and knees multiple times looking for tiny parts id dropped, got everything back together, screwed on the matching air filter which was the whole reason for the entire two hour diversion, started the motor, and it settled down to a satisfying 1966 thugga thugga thugga idle with about 30 seconds of carburetter attention.

tune ups were easier in 1966. plugs and 30 seconds with a screwdriver.

now the next project is to resuscitate the other thunderbolt, a 1969 i bought for no logical reason that has an owner-bodged wiring harness and an owner-bodged charging system. pretty bike, though. ive never split a BSA apart down to the crank, and i may have to with this one because i need to see whats in the sludge trap, if it has one.

when its a runner that will make three BSAs, two triumphs, one each suzuki, buell, norton, and kawasaki that are rideable. against the ledger on the non-running side are another BSA, a triumph project, a honda, and my number one sons hibernating kawasaki. a better ratio than ive seen in years