News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

in the past when switches go bad i have jusr wired my vehicles with on/off toggles and pushbuttons for starting.

keys arent necessary for my old motorcycles as nobody these days knows how to start them

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Asmodean

Yeah... These days, however, keys do all sorts of weirdness, like remote-open doors and trunks, toggle alarms and what have you. It's all them microelectronics.

Nice when everything works - expensive the moment it doesn't.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

ive never been impressed by "features." mopst of my vehicles come to me with well over 100,000 miles on them to start with, and by that time lots of the electronics no longerfunction.

key features, or electronic traction, or ABS. im happy if the windows go up and down and th eheater works. everything else is negotiable.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Asmodean

It's negotiable in my world as well. However, I have a tendency to fix everything that was broken at the time of purchase.

My most-difficult-to-let-go-list, beyond the getting from A to B part is as follows, in descending order;

Cruise control
Climate control
Bluetooth audio
Bluetooth phone
Satellite navigation
Adaptive lights
Electric windows

Stuff like ABS is a must by law, if the car had it when new. ESP... Don't much care for that, as I usually perform better than it on ice.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

My big dumb truck has none of that ^ stuff. I think that 4 wheel ABS with disc brakes would be a good upgrade, though I've already installed disc brakes on the front. I use paper maps...j/k, my wife has some yappy direction finding app that she just can't leave alone when we're going somewhere.  ::)

billy rubin

it runs!

1965 lives again!

this piece of junk is going to carry me to 139 mph.

started it up on C12 gasoline. tomorrow i'll warm it up and change the oil, then re-jet the carburetors for a best guess on the oxygenated Q16 gasoline.

then its just packing stuff up for a 2300 mile road trip.

Icarus

Good luck Billy. 

It's a bit too late to speculate about ways to go faster. 

I suspect your tires may have more rolling resistance than another design might have. We can speculate about that some other time.

Meanwhile, stay safe and have fun. 

billy rubin

ive experimented with tires  stock is 3.50 x 2.5 inbthe front andb4.00 x 18 rear. thsts whats on it now.

ive had 17 x 2.00 front and back, using automobile drag racing front tires. lowered the bike 4 inches and cut the total weight to 280 pounds. but they ate a wheel bearing last year and i have had no time to correct the design.

these heavy stock wheels with the narrow continental tires were good for the fastest its ever gone, at 135.

we ll just have to see. im at the the leading edge in all the parameters at once now.

billy rubin

we be in maine. way up in the way up

unless youre a brit, then its just sort of alongside

got to the race trac, dumped the trailer and went and picked up 35 gallons of fuel

very expensive stuff. one five gallon can of Q16 is US$153. but its going to last a year for me.

then back to the air base and set up th epits-- tent, tools, fuel, tables, chairs, and so on. need to have a place to fix stuff as it breaks. something always breaks.

my neighbor is a friend from previous meets in ohio. this 1971 BSA went 125 this afternoon on its first run in five years. he can do better than this.

he also brought this old 1952 bantam to scoot around the pits on.

the little ninja has a fuel tank leak from a fairing mounting bolt. we plugged it with a screw, and we'll see how well it works tommorow. i'll fix it later.

Anne D.

billy rubin

two sone are runnig. both the daughters were busy elsewhere this year. theyre in the record books, but wont stay there if the wind is favourable

the first son ran several times today. only 97 mph, but he had a 13mph headwind, so things are looking good.

if we get calm air, or better, a tailwind, theyre on track to beat the 108 mph records they set a year ago.

lots of other people brought all sorts of machines here. today was the first day running.

tomorrow ill take the 1965 triumph out and fill it up with the new fuel. i have enough jets to run it stupid rich at first, which is what i need in order not to start too lean.

i spoke to the expert about the fuel, and he recommended going up 9 to 10 percent on fuel flow on the main jets, and then advancing the ignition timing. this was a surprise to me, as i was expecting to retard the spark. not so, he said. the Q16 is a good fuel, but hard to get the flame front running, so several degrees advance is necessary from normal gasoline.

i have no idea whethe r its true, but the only way to know is to test. so thats tomoorw. then off to the starting line while sherpherding the kids through the process.

billy rubin

Quote from: Anne D. on July 14, 2022, 03:32:16 AMPretty country.

its gorgeous

the potatoes are in bloom, like acres and acres of tomatoes except with bigger flowers. spruce, fir, pines, cottonwoods, all sorts of larch and hemlock and junipers i cant identify.

ill see if i can get the lovely wife to take pictures. i have my hands full.

no moose or bear yet this year, but we just got here

Dark Lightning

Good luck on your speed runs. I managed to get my '68 Harley up to 105 in '72 (by the speedometer). But that was on the 126 between Fillmore and the Santa Clarita Valley. Kind of winding, but not mountain pass twisty. It's tame, now, since it's 2 lanes each way. Back when I drove it, there were turnouts and passing sections. Deaths were common on that road, because some people would pass on the curves. That's just stupid.

billy rubin

back from the races

pix at 11

billy rubin