News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

billy rubin

the claws are half pincers

i couldnt figure them out for a moment

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

holy shit

i didn't know any of these had survived. less than 50 were built

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMKh-V34vFU

The Mark I was the world's first tank, a tracked, armed, and armoured vehicle, to enter combat. The name "tank" was initially a code name to maintain secrecy and disguise its true purpose by making it appear to be a water transport vehicle for bringing water to the troops at the front line.[3] The type was developed in 1915 to break the stalemate of trench warfare. It could survive the machine gun and small-arms fire in "No Man's Land", travel over difficult terrain, crush barbed wire, and cross trenches to assault fortified enemy positions with powerful armament. Tanks also carried supplies and troops.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on January 31, 2021, 06:31:42 PM
holy shit

i didn't know any of these had survived. less than 50 were built

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMKh-V34vFU

The Mark I was the world's first tank, a tracked, armed, and armoured vehicle, to enter combat. The name "tank" was initially a code name to maintain secrecy and disguise its true purpose by making it appear to be a water transport vehicle for bringing water to the troops at the front line.[3] The type was developed in 1915 to break the stalemate of trench warfare. It could survive the machine gun and small-arms fire in "No Man's Land", travel over difficult terrain, crush barbed wire, and cross trenches to assault fortified enemy positions with powerful armament. Tanks also carried supplies and troops.
Interesting about where the tank got its name. I've learned something new.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

hermes2015

Our very own Tank is also used to carry large volumes of alcoholic beverages.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 01, 2021, 03:30:18 AM

:rofl:
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

this is th ereal reason you like his stuff

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on February 02, 2021, 02:47:50 PM

this is th ereal reason you like his stuff

:lol: All is explained!

(Just joking, those are all cool sculptures.  8) )
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 01, 2021, 03:30:18 AM

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

all right. i have the race dates for this year, so i arranged for the motel rooms up in maine. the bike is ready to go except for some modifications that won't take a lot of time, so i'm concentrating on me.

five days ago i weighed 211 pounds. i've gone on a strict diet. two or three eggs, three times a day, with a handful of spinach greens and about two ounces of hard cheese, scrambled, maybe one thai chili at 1/25-gram thrown in. no other food at all of any kind. no eating for 15 hours between 700pm and 1000am. not a long term strategy, just a no-carbohydrate fast to burn up the glycogen.

by yesterday i was down to 205.6. most of this is just water weight and clearing the plumbing, but from here it will start to reflect actual fat loss. now that the snow is going i'll start the bicycle again. the weight loss will slow, but fat will continue to be burned up.

five down, twenty to go. if i get inspired i'll see about another ten after that.

billy rubin

well, i know little about electronics. but today these came in the mail.

one hundred 470-ohm resistors, 1-watt, 1 percent precision. i only need one, but i have to buy them one hundred at a time.

i will take oneof these and pot them in a piece of PVC pipe with epoxy and two screws terminals to make a bridge across the stator terminal wiring in the electronic ignition system of a motorcycle that has happily done without it for 48 years.

i also received 100 680-watt resistors that do the same thing but not so much.

the spark curve looks like this, unaltered:

^^^there is sometjhing around 13 degrees of advance before top dead center at idle, and 38 dgrees before top dead center at full advance,.25 degrees of total spark advance. the resisstor will decrease  that by 8 and 4 degrees, maybe. i'll try the 470 first, and then the 680 and see where we end up.

nothing like ignoring 50 years of technological advance trying to make an ancient mmotor do things it was never intended to do. by doing this i am hoping to make my machine idle as well as it did when it was built, back in teh days of 104-octane gasoline.

Icarus

The 750 to 1250 curve is peculiarly shaped.  Each of the advance curves top at 3000 and remain flat. Not what I would think ideal.  Ignition timing is a function of, or at least aimed at, the time lapse between ignition instant and full flame propagation.  So that infers that leveling at 3000 is maybe not the perfect setup.. No doubt the Boyer is a better deal than the centrifugal advance mechanisms of the olden days......Or the left hand handle bar on old Harleys. There one could dial in the ignition timing.  All that did was rotate the distributor.  It allowed a human to retard the spark enough to kickstart the beast without risking a broken leg. Some of the battery ignition Brit bikes had a similar gimmick. They had a little thumb lever to fiddle up the spark timing.  Of course the Brit bikes had Lucas or BTH ignitions and would not start in any case.  Aaaah Nostalgia.

Time have changed.  You used to go to Radio Shack and buy one resistor, or one of any other of the parts that they sold to we tinker guys.

After full flame propagation there is still a tiny time lapse before full chamber pressure is reached.  That ought to occur a wee tad after TDC.  And there are so damned many variables that affect this deal than is comfortable for we backyard tuner types.  Ambient air  temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure are enough to ponder.  Engine temperature, compression ratio,  and the characteristics of the fuel further complicate matters. 

I will wager that you are going to get it as near optimum as you can under the circumstances.   I'm pretty sure that I do not need to remind you about over advance wherupon the engine dramatically disassembles itself.   

If you have the time and opportunity, take a look at the piston domes after a few hard runs. You can read a lot there. 

billy rubin

piston dome reading is useful, but where i run, i try not to take the top end off. but i indeed do take it off to look, and that's why i run four spark plugs per piston these days. look at the aluminum balls on these-- under th emicroscope they were all melted aluminum

more clear looking at the cylinder head-- see the pecking from the mixture detonating and chipping the carbon on the side away from the spark plug? what could be clearer.  i use twin plugs now, and this problem is nonexistent.

in the end, i run against the clock. everything that the tuners preach, all the tweaks they recommend, everyting in the end comes up against the clock, and the clock rules.

i tune with ambient temperature, fuel mixture, exhaust pipe length, current relative air density, and the seat of my pants.

with these resisstors in the system, they will work okay so long as i make sure that the mechanical connectioons don't break. if a wire breaks, then the timing adavnces to ten or so degres over-advanced, and the engine blows up.

not good, so i'm looking to make a sturdy container for th ewiring. but i've blown up engines before, too, so i'm willing to to run along the edge of the envelope to get to where i want to be

if i lived to be a 1000 years old, i would never understand enough of the natural world to be satisfied. its an endless journey.