News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on October 30, 2019, 04:14:51 PM

Hehe. Well now you have your own topic and one that I have no doubt will be very popular reading. As you're new you're probably not aware that my son has worked at McLaren F1 for the last 6 years. He started there running the simulator and moved on to be Fernando Alonso's performance engineer. He's been doing this for Lando Norris this year. But he's leaving in March next year and moving to America.

woo

no i didn't know that, it is maximally cool, and you are now obligated to post updates.

prior to mcclaren, the last earthshaking event i know of from woking was the arrival of the first cylinder

what is he going to be doing in the states?

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

Quote from: jumbojak on October 30, 2019, 04:20:25 PM
I would braze and then recut the keyway. Perfect job for a shaper if you know someone who has one. Steve Summers would probably jump at the job.

i never heard of that guy. his shop looks like where i live. appalachia transcends state borders.

as do accents. i live in ohio, but west virginia is the cultural norm. it's sort of the glaswegian of north america.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

Quote from: Buddy on October 30, 2019, 04:38:42 PM
Ooooh a car thread.

So this is going to be my present to myself once my student loans are paid off. It's a little on the pricey side, but it's only a little bit more expensive than aftermarket, I get discounts at the dealership for being in a MINI club, and there's a warranty. I really want to turn my car into a little autocross beast

cool

i'm new, obviously. what are you starting with? pictures please.

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 30, 2019, 04:45:40 PM
All I understood was ''shitfire' and 'rats', so I'm assuming it can't be good. :unsure:

yah

you make me scratch my head about neuro function, and that's been a long time.

so we're even, maybe.

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 30, 2019, 05:24:01 PM
I'm pretty sure all the posts in this thread will be way over my head, but I shall read everything you guys say in the hope of learning something new. I am barely able to put fuel into my tank.

learning is the best reason for existence, as near as i can tell. i mean that quite literally.

in the absence of ultimate meaning, i believe that the optimum profit to existence is to maximize one's experience and skills.

i suppose that could mean many things, but what i'm trying to get across is that learning is valuable for its own sake, absent social value, personal profit, or any other metric.

learning leads to understanding, and understanding leads to an enriched life.

i guess that's why i'm here.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on October 30, 2019, 09:03:42 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 30, 2019, 05:24:01 PM
I'm pretty sure all the posts in this thread will be way over my head, but I shall read everything you guys say in the hope of learning something new. I am barely able to put fuel into my tank.

learning is the best reason for existence, as near as i can tell. i mean that quite literally.

in the absence of ultimate meaning, i believe that the optimum profit to existence is to maximize one's experience and skills.

i suppose that could mean many things, but what i'm trying to get across is that learning is valuable for its own sake, absent social value, personal profit, or any other metric.

learning leads to understanding, and understanding leads to an enriched life.

i guess that's why i'm here.

:tellmemore:

:smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: billy rubin on October 30, 2019, 08:52:48 PM
Ooooh a car thread.

So this is going to be my present to myself once my student loans are paid off. It's a little on the pricey side, but it's only a little bit more expensive than aftermarket, I get discounts at the dealership for being in a MINI club, and there's a warranty. I really want to turn my car into a little autocross beast

cool

Right now I have a completely stock 2018 MINI Cooper S Ice Blue edition. His name is Jezza and he is my baby. I just started doing autocross this year. My goal is to have a decently fast track car while still maintaining comfort as its my daily driver

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

billy rubin

okay.

i am ignorant about this.

what is autocross, these days?

i love the small machines, both old and new minis.

what is the cooper s, and what are you doing?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Buddy on October 30, 2019, 10:57:30 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on October 30, 2019, 08:52:48 PM
Ooooh a car thread.

cool

Right now I have a completely stock 2018 MINI Cooper S Ice Blue edition. His name is Jezza and he is my baby. I just started doing autocross this year. My goal is to have a decently fast track car while still maintaining comfort as its my daily driver

Minis already handle pretty much like a slot car, so you won't have to do too much to make it a lot better. Find out how fast one of these can take a corner without internal oiling modifications, so that you don't learn the hard way by starving the oil and wiping out some bearings. Hey, this could be pretty cool. We could help someone else spend their money on go-fast parts! :lol: Though you would actually be better served by asking some people who race their Minis, instead.  :smilenod: If there is money involved, you might want to look into a high-performance driving school to help with skills that may make you able to spank a lot of the hot shots. It's pricey, but here is one example- https://bondurant.com/high-performance-driving/ You'd get a chance to drive a 700 horsepower vehicle. That might ruin you for the Mini, though.  :P

jumbojak

Better tires will improve handling for autocross more than just about anything you could do. A small trailer so you can pull a set of track tires and a jack is the way to go unless you can bring a friend with a truck or SUV. You do not want to run track tires daily!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Thanks guys! Between the MINI club I'm in and the BMW SCCA group I race with, I have a lot of ideas for the car. Tires are definitely at the top of the list. I am very fortunate that I live 20 miles from the Tire Rack test track which is where I do all of my autocross events. I know a major upgrade I want to do at some point is figuring out how to decrease the lag between when I get on the gas and when the turbo kicks in. The JCW tune and exhaust is mostly for the increased horsepower and because it sounds amazing.

I have videos of some of my runs I'll have to upload. I was only two seconds slower than my stepdad and his Challenger SRT8 this last run.

Billy, autocross is basically a bunch of drivers getting together and seeing who can go around a course the fastest. There are sharp corners, serpentines and "gates" that you have to drive through.

Here's the track that I drive. Usually there are cones set up so the actual course changes every time

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

billy rubin

yo

this is cool.

turbos too?

what are the class rules?

Buddy

I'm not 100% sure. Since it was a BMW group we got put together in the "not BMW" class. I was a class C since I had no modifications.

I actually just found these pics from the event on Facebook

That's me

My stepdad

And my mom brought her Clubman for shits and gigs

billy rubin

cool

how cAn this not be fantastic?

you have to run stock?

no sus6pension fiddling?