News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: December poll and discussion

Started by Sandra Craft, November 20, 2019, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Hogfather, by Terry Pratchet
20th in the Discworld series, and 4th Death novel, it focuses on the absence of the Hogfather, a mythical creature akin to Father Christmas, who grants children's wishes on Hogswatchnight (December 32) and brings them presents. While Death attempts to fill in for the Hogfather, his granddaughter Susan Sto Helit tries to find and rescue the Hogfather.

The Reporter, by Scott Sigler
The Reporter follows Yolanda Davenport, a reporter for Galaxy Sports Magazine, as she searches for the truth about Ju Tweedy's involvement with the murder of Grace McDermott - the incident that drove Ju to join the Ionath Krakens. The Reporter takes place between week three and week six of the 2684 Galactic Football League season, the season that encompasses The All-Pro.

The Tortilla Curtain, by T. C. Boyle
A novel set in Southern California about middle-class values, illegal immigration, xenophobia, poverty, and environmental destruction. 

Tselane, by J. Louw Van Wijk.  Tselane -- young, beautiful and popular with her isolated South African mountain tribe -- is about to bear her first child, while her husband, Khama, goes away to work in the white men's mines.  When the tribe's young chief seeks magic from the old medicine man to cure his wife's childlessness, Tselane is chosen to be the victim of the ritual murder necessary to make the magic work.

Under the Skin, by Michel Faber
Set in northern Scotland, it traces a woman who drives around the Scottish countryside picking up male hitchhikers whom she drugs.  (sci fi)

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I tend toward the Tortilla Curtain.  Sounds a bit like a social justice tale.

Under The Skin sounds like a sequel to an actual set of episodes we had in Florida.  That was several years ago.  The woman would frequent truck stops and proceed to kill the horny truckers who hit on her.  She also hitch hiked and killed the hapless dude who picked her up. She is doing big time in a Florida prison now.  Aleen Warnos is a bad ass chick.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on November 22, 2019, 04:35:11 AM
I tend toward the Tortilla Curtain.  Sounds a bit like a social justice tale.

Under The Skin sounds like a sequel to an actual set of episodes we had in Florida.  That was several years ago.  The woman would frequent truck stops and proceed to kill the horny truckers who hit on her.  She also hitch hiked and killed the hapless dude who picked her up. She is doing big time in a Florida prison now.  Aleen Warnos is a bad ass chick.

Didn't a famous actress (whose name I can't remember) play her in a movie?
Sandy

Icarus

Sandra Craft

We have a clear winner in Hogfather, and a fine seasonal selection it is.  Everyone prepare to get your Pratchett on for the Solstice.
Sandy

Davin

I started reading it, but am a little behind, I'm only 26% into it. I'm hoping to be done with it on time though. Good read so far.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

I just finished today, very amusing read and I particularly enjoyed Death, and this quote, "Humans need fantasy to be human.  To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."  The only thing I didn't understand was the assassin Teatime, who seemed weirdly unnecessary for all the page time he took up.
Sandy

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 09, 2019, 12:19:41 AMThe only thing I didn't understand was the assassin Teatime, who seemed weirdly unnecessary for all the page time he took up.

None of it would have happened without Te-ah-tim-eh, he's the evil villain, the auditors are rubbish.

We do have to believe in things we make up, like the system of law.
But I can see that it isn't perfect, it's OK if I cheat, no one's hurt.
I agree you agree we all agree and then we end up with Trump.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

T'was a good book. I like the discworld universe and so far all the books I've read in the series have been good. Good jokes and social commentary throughout this one. I agree with Sandra about Teatime. I think maybe it was because I couldn't get around to making sense of his motivations. He also seemed too superman for me so that when he got killed the first time, the fight didn't make sense with how good Teatime was throughout the whole book up to that point. Superman characters I think are better as the villain, but I don't connect with them that well in either case. Exceptions are the Reckoners trilogy (plus one short story) and the TV series The Boys.

Anyway, it was a fun book.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.