News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Child Free

Started by Bad Penny II, June 29, 2019, 10:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Does the term "child free" sound a bit odd?
They could be considered a burden I suppose and choosing no kids seems a reasonable choice.
There's salt free, fat free, sugar free, bpa free, these things are recognised as harmful.

Childless connotes something is lacking and isn't an attractive appellation.

Is "child free" fine, is there a better term?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

I assume you're talking about women/couples that choose not to have kids rather than women/couples who can't have kids for medical reasons? Which raises the further question should there be different terms for the different circumstances?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on June 29, 2019, 10:37:52 AM
I assume you're talking about women/couples that choose not to have kids rather than women/couples who can't have kids for medical reasons?

I'm inclusive of all.

Which raises the further question should there be different terms for the different circumstances?

Can't haves and won't haves?  I'm not going there.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

That's a funny way of putting it. ;D

I prefer 'one who committed genetic suicide' myself...but I understand some people might not like the characterisation.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 29, 2019, 02:54:32 PM
I assume you're talking about women/couples that choose not to have kids rather than women/couples who can't have kids for medical reasons?

I'm inclusive of all.

Which raises the further question should there be different terms for the different circumstances?

Can't haves and won't haves?  I'm not going there.

Just clarifying.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Child free and childless are both fine as far as I'm concerned.  "Child free" does sound weird, but that may be just because it's a newer expression, and anyway I can't think of anything else to use that's equally pithy.  Personally, I find it more accurate to say I'm letting other people do the hard work, but that's a bit of a mouthful.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

joeactor

"Childless" does sound like you're missing something to me.

I prefer "Child Free" - it gives a better sense of how I feel about choosing not to have children.
(Ah!!! The Freedom!!!)

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 29, 2019, 05:12:09 PM

I prefer 'one who committed genetic suicide' myself...but I understand some people might not like the characterisation.
Depends on how many child bearing siblings you have, because if you have enough nieces/nephews, then they'll contribute about as much genetics as you could.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm about to go on a "child-free" river cruise.  It's for older people, so that's self-explanatory. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on July 01, 2019, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 29, 2019, 05:12:09 PM

Depends on how many child bearing siblings you have, because if you have enough nieces/nephews, then they'll contribute about as much genetics as you could.

That is true, but large families nowadays are more the exception than the rule.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

I have no patience with the Duggars or any of the others misguided couples who produce large numbers of offspring.  The Catholic church has been responsible for part of that concept.  Yet Planned Parenthood is condemned as the embodiment of evil.  I think that our US society is a bit fucked up. Well alright so are the ones in the Sudan or the Congo.

The problem concerns the ultimate capacity of the landfill and the availability of potable water and available food and the Pacific gyres that have so much plastic floating around, and the availability of housing, and the pollution of the atmospheric air and a whole lot more reasons that ZPG is a matter of utmost urgency.

Copulation is not going away. As the Hippies used to say; If it feels good  do it.   So do it already but take some heed about the end results if the participants are not mindful of the possible result.