News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Spirituality:

Started by Rift Zone, April 28, 2019, 12:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 07, 2019, 04:20:54 PM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 07, 2019, 09:24:44 AM
Quote from: Davin on May 06, 2019, 06:04:47 PM
Wow, so smert.

Einstein was a smart fellow, smart enough to be able to explain and support his ideas with science and evidence.

And also this from Einstein: "If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough."

That's a good quote!  :tellmemore:
One I agree with so much. It's also why teaching is often as beneficial to the teacher as it is for the student. For a lot of things, teaching a thing can provide a better understanding of it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I've given this topic some more thought. When you come back from your temporary suspension, could you please tell us why your idea of spirituality is different from an aesthetic experience such as looking at art or listening to music?   

Nature is beautiful. We are biologically sensitive to it and other experiences which are aesthetically rewarding. We reap all sorts of benefits from being in direct contact with nature, such as lower stress levels and less anxiety. You look at the natural environment and feel emotions that can overwhelm you, in addition to having a 'hyperconscious' awareness of your own existence and conscious awareness.  "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself", Carl Sagan said. He was right.

But even aesthetic experiences are different from one another. A religious experience, as described by a believer, is not exactly the same as listening to a song that evokes all sorts of memories and emotionally moves you. If one could walk in a painting, it probably wouldn't be the same as that either. There's something else there...something else is happening...so what is it? Where can you draw the line and say it's a 'spiritual experience'?

If you want to get into the science of it all, then please, by all means do. If not, then that's ok. Either way, you need to work on how you say things. 

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 07, 2019, 04:57:11 PM
Wow, so smert.

Einstein was a smart fellow, smart enough to be able to explain and support his ideas with science and evidence.

And also this from Einstein: "If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough."

One I agree with so much. It's also why teaching is often as beneficial to the teacher as it is for the student. For a lot of things, teaching a thing can provide a better understanding of it.

Oh definitely. My teaching experience is limited but even without much under my belt, I know this to be true, especially because the teacher has to deepen their knowledge of the subject and study how to pass on that knowledge. :smilenod:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 07, 2019, 10:50:58 PM
Wow, so smert.

Oh definitely. My teaching experience is limited but even without much under my belt, I know this to be true, especially because the teacher has to deepen their knowledge of the subject and study how to pass on that knowledge. :smilenod:

In my experience, the process of preparing for a lecture and any questions that may arise, especially curved ball ones, is the when one really learns a subject.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 08, 2019, 05:31:41 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 07, 2019, 10:50:58 PM
Wow, so smert.

In my experience, the process of preparing for a lecture and any questions that may arise, especially curved ball ones, is the when one really learns a subject.

:smilenod:

My advisor signs all his emails with Docendo discimus, which is just a fancy Latin way of saying 'By teaching, we learn'.

Magdalena

Hi, Rift Zone, or Ronrick:computerwave:
Come back, let's talk...
...About, stuff.

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

^ or Dragonia, and several others

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 30, 2019, 11:37:36 PM
Come back, let's talk...
...About, stuff.

Yes, come back into the sandpit. I'll try to play nice. :grin:

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 02, 2019, 11:04:14 PM
Come back, let's talk...
...About, stuff.

You always play nice xSilverPhinx:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on June 03, 2019, 07:06:43 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 02, 2019, 11:04:14 PM
Come back, let's talk...
...About, stuff.

You always play nice xSilverPhinx:grin:

I do, don't I?

Rift Zone

Come back, let's talk...
...About, stuff.

:couchhide:

yea, huh...     why do I feel like I'm being set up?   lol 

:lynch:
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Quote from: Rift Zone on June 27, 2019, 05:59:56 AM
Come back, let's talk...
...About, stuff.

:snicker:

:hooked:

Rift Zone

Quote from: Magdalena on June 27, 2019, 06:27:01 AM
Quote from: Rift Zone on June 27, 2019, 05:59:56 AM
Come back, let's talk...
...About, stuff.

:snicker:

:hooked:

:lol: :unsure: :picard facepalm:
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Icarus

Lets take a different tack. Have a look at this.   Bear with the comedic speaker until he gets to the punch lines at the end of the video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9LCwI5iErE 

Magdalena

So, Rift Zone, you're an
astrophysicist?

Quote from: Ronrick on May 01, 2019, 11:01:27 PM

I am not a medical or soft scientist, I'm an astrophysicist, who is really fucking good with complex systems that interact non linearly, like physics and dysfunctional human societies.