News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Dominionists in the United States

Started by Recusant, April 14, 2019, 02:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Article notes that the US Supreme Court has already tossed aside what remained of the Lemon test in favor of "reference to historical practices and understandings" from the era of the writing of the US Constitution. The Lemon test was the primary basis of the ruling in Kitzmiller v. Dover, so . . .

"West Virginia, Florida make moves to undermine science education" | Ars Technica
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

:felix:   

I did not know that an organization labeled NACL existed. It is no surprise that the crackpots may have banded together for the purpose of imposing their will on the ones of us who have not paid sufficient attention.

Yes, my Florida has moved to weaken or outright abandon scientific education. Wyoming, Idaho, Tennessee, Montana and a few others are not far behind.

Those Christian Nationalists can more nearly destroy our nation than Putin could with his nukes.

Recusant

The execrable, mendacious zealot David Barton is being welcomed with open arms by the ruling Republicans in Texas. They savor his wonderful visions of a Christian theocracy.

"Conservative Christians want more religion in public life. Texas lawmakers are listening." | The Texas Tribune

QuoteWaving a copy of the Ten Commandments and a 17th-century textbook, amateur historian David Barton recently argued that Christianity has always formed the basis of American morality and thus is essential to Texas classrooms.

"This is traditional, historical stuff," he told a Texas Senate Education Committee last month. "It's hard to say that anything is more traditional in American education than was the Ten Commandments."

For nearly four decades, Barton has preached that message to politicians and pews across the country, arguing that church-state separation is a "myth" that is disproven by centuries-old texts, like the school book he showed senators, that reference the Ten Commandments and other religious texts.

Now, Barton's once-fringe theories could be codified into Texas law.

Emboldened by recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions and the growing acceptance of Christian nationalism on the right, Barton and other conservative Christians could see monumental victories in the Texas Legislature this year.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA

This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Icarus

:felix:

WTF.  How and why have the Texas voters allowed so many crackpots into their legislature? Does the voting majority wish to have their state become a Christian enclave?

Those damned Texans also wear ostentatious hats.....and pointy toed boots.

I have no right to criticize so much I reckon. My state, Florida, has evidently entered into a competition with Texas, Montana, and a few other states to legislate into existence, a boatload of asinine and egregious laws. Example: Our Don't Say Gay law, then there is the governors pissing contest with Disney. Disney is friendly to Gays and the governor can't get past that. 

Aha!  My city has, and will continue to have, an annual Gay pride event where the city square allows the LGBT community to set up booths and exhibits. Very few of our citizens are opposed. Actually it is a fun event that attracts crowds of straight people who apparently believe that the "others" are not pedophile criminals or evil doers.

MarcusA

Have a little faith, will youse? Jesus is coming soon. haha

billy rubin

we wear the same hats in oklahoma

we dont wear the texas attitude

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

Why don't Americans just nuke the shitty US?

Recusant

Haven't really covered another aspect of this topic much.  A big part of what is driving the Dominionists and their fellow travellers is the changes that they can see in the culture of the US:  A tendency to reject their bigotry.  An unwillingness to accept their imposition of a narrow, repressive, authoritarian version of Christianity.  As noted in this thread they're gaining ground in certain respects.  Building a minority rule through their growing influence in the Republican Party, which has structural advantages in the archaic political system of the US. 

The oppressive theocracy that conservative evangelical Christians dream of has gained momentum, but there is hope that they may not succeed--they don't yet dominate American society.  The fact is that progress has been made despite their best efforts and maybe demographic change will be too much for them to overcome.  That change is not all against them though.

"The Religious Landscape is Undergoing Massive Change. It Could Decide the 2024 Election." | Politico

QuoteOne of the most significant shifts in American politics and religion just took place over the past decade and it barely got any notice: the share of Americans who associate with religion dropped by 11 points.

It's a development of tremendous impact, one that will ripple across the political landscape at every level — and especially in presidential politics. Why? Because of what it means for the God Gap — the idea that the Republican Party is the one that fights for the rights of religious individuals (primarily Christians), while Democrats have become increasingly secular over time.

People are not fleeing organized religion at equal rates across the United States. Instead, there are regions of the country where religious adherence is still relatively robust, while other areas have seen a wholesale abandoning of organized religion. We know this because of the tireless work of the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies. Every 10 years, they contact as many religious denominations as they can and ask to see their official membership records. This data provides an unprecedented look at where religion is growing and declining in the United States.

The 2020 U.S. Religion Census, which was released late last year, reveals that religion is taking a beating across the middle part of the country. When comparing the rate of religious adherents in 2020 versus 2010, a fascinating pattern emerges, illuminating the political relevance of the shifting religious landscape: Democrats are making gains in areas where religion is fading (the census defines non-religious as the percentage of a county's population that does not show up on the rolls of any religious organization in that county) and Republicans are increasing their vote share in places where houses of worship are gaining new members.

[Continues . . .]

— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

I was hoping to strike a mildly optimistic note.  ;)
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on May 15, 2023, 04:18:01 PMI was hoping to strike a mildly optimistic note.  ;)

Ha! You failed!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Impressions from long term observation............

The most fervently religious people are typically in rural area small towns. Those are usually less educated regions. The less religious, or non religious, are found in larger cities.

Large city populations tend toward the Democrat party.  Smaller towns, at a distance from the larger cities, tend toward religion along with a general preference for the Republican party.

Demographics suggest where the most, or least, religious are likely to be found.

billy rubin

well, there are exceptions.

but as a general rule you are correct.

the area around me has many more churches than taverns, a generally low educational level, and trump won here by 17 percentage points.

its also 98 percent white, 1 petcent black, 1 percent everything else.

88 percent of my elevtricity comes from burning coal, iirc.

i am the only vegan i know.

and i dont mow my stinking lawn.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Here is an article that I stumbled across. It may be thought provoking for those of us who have managed to retain a vestige of common sense. It may be a bit of the sky is fallng commentary, or maybe not. Give it a look if you have time

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/05/the-v-files-legacy?utm_source=pocket-newtab