News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Dominionists in the United States

Started by Recusant, April 14, 2019, 02:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Anne D. on September 09, 2022, 01:57:22 AMIt works, unfortunately.

Dominican nuns at the Stop the Steal rally in Washington DC January 6 2021.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Top line finding from a recent US survey on support for "Christian nationalism" aka Dominionism-- 54% of Republicans either strongly favor Dominionism (21%) or are sympathetic to its aims (33%). One in three Approximately three in ten Americans are of the same mind.

"A Christian Nation? Understanding the Threat of Christian Nationalism to American Democracy and Culture" | PRRI

QuoteThe rising influence of Christian nationalism in some segments of American politics poses a major threat to the health of our democracy. Increasingly, the major battle lines of the culture war are being drawn between a right animated by a Christian nationalist worldview and Americans who embrace the country's growing racial and religious diversity. This new PRRI/Brookings survey of more than 6,000 Americans takes a closer look at the underpinnings of Christian nationalism, providing new measures to estimate the proportion of Americans who adhere to and reject Christian nationalist ideology. The survey also examines how Christian nationalist views intersect with white identity, anti-Black sentiment, support of patriarchy, antisemitism, anti-Muslim sentiments, anti-immigrant attitudes, authoritarianism, and support for violence. Additionally, the survey explores the influence Christian nationalism has within our two primary political parties and major religious subgroups and what this reveals about the state of American democracy and the health of our society.

[Continues ...]

[Fixed incorrectly copied statistic.  - R]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

I read that. What a revolting development. But as they age out and the younger, less religious come into their own, I'm hoping for it to die out, or at least diminish into cult status.

Recusant

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 18, 2023, 09:19:13 PMI read that. What a revolting development. But as they age out and the younger, less religious come into their own, I'm hoping for it to die out, or at least diminish into cult status.

That is the way I hope it goes as well. Not to be forgetting though, a cohort of home-schooled children learning to follow in the footsteps of their aggressively delusional parents.
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Recusant on February 19, 2023, 01:27:34 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 18, 2023, 09:19:13 PMI read that. What a revolting development. But as they age out and the younger, less religious come into their own, I'm hoping for it to die out, or at least diminish into cult status.

That is the way I hope it goes as well. Not to be forgetting though, a cohort of home-schooled children learning to follow in the footsteps of their aggressively delusional parents.

Good point. Though I do take some hope in that, even with the indoctrination that does go on, people do still leave.

Anne D.

Quote from: Recusant on February 19, 2023, 01:27:34 AM

Yes, stuff like this and the "trad wife" subculture dampen my optimism.

billy rubin

look up betrothal practices if you really want to see red

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on February 20, 2023, 04:17:50 AMlook up betrothal practices if you really want to see red
The Asmo reads: Look up brothel practices :eyebrow:

The Asmo re-reads correctly :sigh:

...On a serious note, what be happening?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

theres a pravtice where the father of the bride dictates the sexual activity of the newlyweds for an indeterminate time.

more generally:

https://brucegerencser.net/2015/11/taking-new-trend-quiverfull-courtship-betrothal/

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Asmodean

So lemme get this straight... The father of the bride dictates the newly-weds' sexual activity, and it's not even a little perverted?

I'm pretty sure I myself would run screaming at as much as the thought of being even far less involved in the love[-making] life of my kids or parents, and I'm pretty chill about sex. Some people... I just prefer to never, ever, ever see, imagine or think of doing it though.

Assuming I'm not weird like that, like... What even gives?!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i cant find tbe reference, but as i recall the brides father maintains an extended betrothal beyond the actual wedding, so that marriage consumation is delayed pending his yielding control.

its not mainstream and the fundamentslist churches where its practiced are outliers

heres onevreference. even michael pearl, an american fundamentalist, disputes thebpractice

QuoteOne author I read pointed out that he is the one that coined the word "betrothal" and brought it to public light. He starts out by saying that the system he prescribes is "God's plan." But then, after taking extensive liberties with the biblical text, he concludes by saying that he does "not know" if the things he has said are the will of God. His plan includes a scheme whereby the couple would be married, but then the daughter would continue to live at home while the father would reserve to himself the right to decide when his new son-in-law could actually come and carry his bride away—could be weeks, maybe months. It is supposed to recapitulate Christ in his betrothal and wedding to his bride, the church. It was pointed out to the listeners how "exciting" this would be for the father. I kept saying to the tape, "Get a life!"
The Bible does indeed offer clear alternatives to the godless sport of dating, but you won't find them delineated in the

https://nogreaterjoy.org/articles/to-betroth-or-not-to-betroth-that-is-the-question/

Recusant

With the Trumpist justices on the US Supreme Court (in addition to the dishonest ideologue dirtbags Thomas and Alito) it seems the Dominionists can look forward to real progress. A couple of items...

"Christian Nationalist Jason Rapert Takes Credit for Anti-Trans Law Enacted in Arkansas" | Right Wing Watch

QuoteArkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed legislation Tuesday prohibiting transgender people from using public school facilities that match their gender identity. Later that same day, Jason Rapert, a former Arkansas state senator and founder of the National Association of Christian Lawmakers, posted a video crediting his organization for the legislation.

Rapert, a longtime religious-right activist and ardent Christian nationalist, bragged that this piece of legislation was first proposed by Arkansas school board member David Naylor during an annual NACL meeting, endorsed by the organization, and finally brought to the Arkansas state legislature by state Rep. Mary Bentley, who serves on the board of the NACL.

"The NACL has seven working committees," Rapert said. "Those committees actually debate and discuss every major policy issue in this country, all from a biblical worldview."

[. . .]

In December, Rapert declared that right-wing Christians must rise up and "take authority" over everything from their local school boards to the federal government. The National Association for Christian Lawmakers seeks do just that, advancing legislation that fits their narrow conservative biblical worldview in statehouses throughout the country. The group's advisory board includes politicians like Mike Huckabee and Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick as well as influential religious-right activists like Tony Perkins of Family Research Council and Mat Staver of Liberty Counsel.

[Link to full article.]

Hurrah for legalized bigotry in the guise of religion!

"West Virginia Lawmakers are Pushing Public Schools to Teach Creationism" | ACLU

QuoteAll you need to know about the current condition of West Virginia's public-education system is summed up in one recent headline: "West Virginia public schools are underfunded, understaffed and underperforming." To take one marker, only 28 percent of students in the state are proficient in science. These are big problems that require expansive, thoughtful solutions. Lawmakers should be devoting all available time and resources to protecting public-school students' educational futures. Instead, they're working to pass a bill, SB 619, that would exacerbate these crises. If enacted, the bill would allow public schools to teach intelligent design — a form of creationism — as a "theory of how the universe and/or humanity came to exist."

[. . .]

West Virginia lawmakers know that it's unconstitutional to teach creationism in public schools. They know that, just like in Pennsylvania, schools that take up the legislature's invitation to do so will be sued and will face millions of dollars in costs and fees. They also know that attacking the integrity of science education will cause West Virginia students to fall even further behind, leaving them unprepared for advanced college coursework in scientific areas, and subsequently disadvantaging them in the competitive technical and scientific job sectors. And they know that employers with science- and tech-related businesses may hesitate to settle in West Virginia if they believe that its government does not value, and many of its residents do not possess, basic scientific knowledge.

Despite knowing all of this, lawmakers continue to press forward with SB 619. Maybe they believe it will score them political points with certain extreme religious groups and others seeking to inject religion into public schools. Any short-term political gain, however, will come at appalling long-term costs: the rights of families and faith communities, not government officials, to instill religious beliefs in their children; the educational and employment success of students; the solvency of public schools already struggling financially; and the economic and job prospects for the entire state of West Virginia.

[Link to full article.]

It is entirely possible that the Supreme Court will overturn Kitzmiller v. Dover when this ridiculous development is challenged in court.

— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Holy fuck! MADA or Making America Dumb Again!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Regarding the home-schooled Christian soldiers (marching as to war) --

"Communicators for Christ: How Homeschool Debate Leagues Shaped the Rising Stars of the Christian Right" | Religion Dispatches

QuoteDavid Eastman is one of the rising young stars of the Christian Right. Controversial, blunt, and shameless, Eastman has—like his idol, former President Donald Trump—mastered the art of provoking strong, emotional reactions from people with his rhetoric. Born and raised in California in an evangelical homeschooling family, Eastman currently serves as a Representative in the Alaska State House. In that position since 2017, he's attracted national attention from his refusal to honor Hmong and Black veterans of the American military, his lifetime membership with the far-right militia organization Oath Keepers, his support of child marriage, and his presence at Trump's Stop-the-Steal rally preceding the January 6th, 2021 storming of the U.S. Capitol building.

[. . .]

But Eastman's rhetoric is more than incendiary. It's an intentional and carefully constructed aspect of Eastman's identity as an alumnus of the evangelical homeschooling movement, specifically the academic debate leagues that have become immensely popular among evangelical homeschoolers.

And notably Eastman isn't the only rising star of the Christian Right who participated in homeschool debate leagues. Many young people who are gradually assuming leadership in the Christian Right—including Lila Rose, Will Estrada, Alyssa Farah, Madison Cawthorn, and Alex and Brett Harris—are products of this niche milieu. (Full disclosure: I also competed in these leagues in high school and coached in them in college.)

Recognizing and grasping the culture of homeschool debate is crucial to our broader understanding of Christian nationalism, as the young people who participated are beginning to have a significant impact on American society.

[Continues . . .]
— H. L. Mencken