News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The Orville or Discovery, which is the true inheritor of the Star Trek legacy?

Started by Tank, April 02, 2019, 09:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on April 02, 2019, 09:15:33 AM

I'm a bit torn, but went with Orville. They've got more of TOS feel to it.

I'd add one more option: Star Trek Continues (despite Vic's fall from grace recently)

Tank

Quote from: joeactor on April 03, 2019, 12:34:53 AM

I'd add one more option: Star Trek Continues (despite Vic's fall from grace recently)

Never heard of Star Trek Continues or Vic?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

I didn't like the humour of the first three episodes of The Orville, I don't intend to watch any more.  I watched the Hangover movies which I found OK but then I mistakenly got one of those awful parody movies with a similar name.  They must of thought the Hangover was too highbrow or something, needed bringing down a peg or two.  The Orville is like that for me, the humour of stupid ugly male throwbacks.
The throwbacks are making a comeback.
I know, and they never really went away.

I found the new Warf characters pregnancy episode off.
It is I think possible to be funny and crass, Austin Powers manages it, the Orville doesn't.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/24/16347112/fox-the-orville-episode-3-about-a-girl-recap-review

Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager were progressive for their time, I'm not sure about Kirk, it was the 60s.
https://mythcreants.com/blog/six-misogynist-messages-from-the-orville/

Do you want me to tell you how much I hate those football panel shows with a bunch of male morons each loudly adding their own stupidity and through anti synergy become.....

I liked the First series of Discovery more than the second.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: Tank on April 03, 2019, 07:52:36 AM

https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505
QuoteLast summer, voice actor Vic Mignogna went into a booth with a few others to record audio for a video game. At one point, Mignogna asked the client, who was overseeing the session, if she was okay with his performance. When she didn't answer right away, he followed up with: "You know the old Latin—or is it Greek? There's an axiom that says: Silence gives consent."

Doesn't look good for him. I do think it helps the environment for women in workplaces.

I went with Orville for the same reasons as others, it feels like is has more of the spirit of the original series. And the second season is better than the first.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

joeactor

You can watch Star Trek Continues here:
https://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

It's a high-quality fan production. Each episode ties in somehow with Star Trek TOS. Including using some of the same actors (Apollo returns in the first episode!).
Really well done. Vic is Captain Kirk, and the main force behind it.

But now he's fighting claims of inappropriate behavior at conventions. (see link above)
Already got booted from an anime series cast or two. Not sure where it's headed...

Tank

Quote from: joeactor on April 04, 2019, 12:28:57 AM

You can watch Star Trek Continues here:
https://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

It's a high-quality fan production. Each episode ties in somehow with Star Trek TOS. Including using some of the same actors (Apollo returns in the first episode!).
Really well done. Vic is Captain Kirk, and the main force behind it.

But now he's fighting claims of inappropriate behavior at conventions. (see link above)
Already got booted from an anime series cast or two. Not sure where it's headed...

Cheers