Random Thoughts

Started by jumbojak, March 04, 2019, 03:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on July 21, 2019, 03:30:51 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 21, 2019, 02:31:33 PM
But those are almost all pictures!  ;D

And they work!  ;D

Even though a picture can be worth a thousand words, such instructions on how to properly assemble a piece of furniture just don't seem to be able to pass through the barrier that is my thick skull! I personally don't get how stores such as Ikea are even still around, heheh.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on July 21, 2019, 03:04:30 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2019, 02:11:21 AM
I always found it comical the way people who try to manipulate or micromanage others plan out their strategies as if they were playing a chess game against themselves. They move their board pieces and that of the other party or adversary, ultimately failing to see that the other party has other plans and is not a passive player in the game.

A lot of people do this and yet are so blind to that fact. Some people act as if others think the same way, or hold the same values. Then life punches them in the face and they don't know why.

A relative of mine always does that. She always makes the same mistake when it comes to judging another person's intent and motivations. She acts like that person is a mental mirror image and will act as she would. 

Are people just really bad planners? Do they fail at contingency planning like it's rocket science? 

(I'm reminded of the proverb, 'in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.')

This is something I'm actually pretty good at. I can plan things out considering expected reactions based on past experience with someone and hit the mark fairly often. I try to have an open mind about people and realistic expectations, which helps.

You have to plan based on what someone is likely to do instead of what you would like them to do, if you catch my drift. People can be unpredictable though so a contingency plan is always good to have in your back pocket.

Yes.

Like, why do people in general feel uncomfortable around those who are insane? They're less predictable than most.

So, just act like everyone's insane and you'll avoid many pitfalls, that's my 6846th motto.   ;D

xSilverPhinx

If there are words such as 'today', 'tonight' and 'tomorrow',  why aren't there others such as 'tomorning', 'tonoon' and 'toafternoon'? :notsure:

Imagine saying something such as 'sorry, can't pass by your place tonoon, I'm going out for lunch.' I am certain it would enrich the English language. :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Oh dear, I seem to be to the rim with random thoughts today, like they're desperately trying to materialise somewhere, somehow.

Maybe time to cut down on the caffeine.

Dark Lightning

Too true. But if I don't have a place to record the hardware installed, the torques used on the fasteners, the calibration dates of the torque wrench, etc., ad nauseum, I'd be toast. In retrospect, that problem child was grousing when we worked on that project that he got no raise that year. Heh, I didn't say anything about it, but I knew where his raise went.  :thumbsup2:

No one

East.
Chocolate Pie.
Venger.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2019, 04:36:36 PM
If there are words such as 'today', 'tonight' and 'tomorrow',  why aren't there others such as 'tomorning', 'tonoon' and 'toafternoon'? :notsure:

Imagine saying something such as 'sorry, can't pass by your place tonoon, I'm going out for lunch.' I am certain it would enrich the English language. :grin:

That is brilliant.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

I wonder what penguin tastes like.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

A well dressed chicken.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

xSilverPhinx

jumbojak

And, I have an answer...

"a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce"
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-different-kind-of-dinner-bell-in-the-antarctic-22002918/#0BL4G5FtH6UH1sw2.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-different-kind-of-dinner-bell-in-the-antarctic-22002918/

That doesn't sound very nice. Especially luring the birds in with bajo music.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 25, 2019, 01:27:34 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 22, 2019, 03:43:18 AM
I wonder what penguin tastes like.

BBQ penguin.  :yum:

They're not for eating!

And no Phinx, you can't have their legs!
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx