News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

If you had a time machine that could travel into the past, what era would you vi

Started by Curt, February 14, 2019, 06:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curt

If you had a time machine that could travel into the past, what era would you visit? I think I would choose America at its founding. Meet George Washington and the other founding fathers.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

An exact place and date for me: Paris, evening of 29 May 1913, to attend the premiere of The Rite of Spring.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

I like T's suggestion. Too bad there were no Mayans to make a calendar that would mysteriously end on that day. They could have been right and properly-vindicated too. What a waste of a perfectly good End of the World!

Me... Would I be able to breathe the air in Cambrian times? If yes, I'd go do some diving then. If not... Yeah... The middle of the soon-to-be Chicxulub crater suits my sense of drama.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Some guy said music peaked in 1973.
I'm inclined to agree, give or take.
You could go earlier but the Beatles didn't tour so, na.
The Stones with M'k Taylor, Van, Floyd, Bowie, Led Zep, NEIL, LOU, Bob M, Bob D, Bolan, Joni and Joe Cocker 'tswhere I'm goin.

I imagine that would have sounded a lot better if ya was there.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Me, I'm just taking muh MP3 player and a fuckton of battery packs back to the Cambrian period.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Asmodean on February 14, 2019, 01:13:29 PM
Me, I'm just taking muh MP3 player and a fuckton of battery packs back to the Cambrian period.  ;D

Count me in as well!
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I'd go into the past at the speed of -1s/s, just to see what 'frozen' state would look like. Would my thoughts freeze too? Would they keep skipping back in an endless loop?

Sounds a bit like OCD.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

I would wait until a large lottery pot came up with no winners   Then I'd go back and play those numbers.

Anne D.

If I could just omnisciently observe, I'd go back to ancient Egypt—no idea which era, though.

Tank

Quote from: Anne D. on February 16, 2019, 08:19:01 PM
If I could just omnisciently observe, I'd go back to ancient Egypt—no idea which era, though.
And to see how they built those bloody pyramids!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2019, 08:50:32 PM

Nah, go back with modern whiz bang technology, pose as a god, and have them build you a pyramid. Figure out a way to do the Go'ould voice thing too...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on February 16, 2019, 09:20:01 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2019, 08:50:32 PM

Nah, go back with modern whiz bang technology, pose as a god, and have them build you a pyramid. Figure out a way to do the Go'ould voice thing too...

:rofl:

Harmonie

I'd want to go back to some era Baroque or before and observe the music and instruments, so I'd get to see how they really were/performed. Of course, I'd love to acquire a bunch of historical winds (Baroque style oboe, krumhorns, cornamuses, recorders, etc.) but it was considered uncouth for women to play wind instruments. Also a lot of the music I love was either composed for royalty or church services. History sucked, and there's just no getting around that.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Icarus

I would go back in time for about 55 to 60 years.  There I could make a whole series of better judgements about my future prosperity.   I made a slew of youthful misjudgements when I was in my career development period.  I was smitten by fast cars, motorcycles and boats.  All that seemed to be more important than concentrating on my college studies, professional, and social contacts. ...................Who among us would not choose to make  more insightful decisions when we were callow youths?

:felix: