News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Principal Proclivity: Procrastination Problem Persists

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 18, 2018, 08:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I normally backup important files using Google Drive or Dropbox. I also send important files to my own inbox so I can find it easily later.  Might not be the safest of options but so far it's worked.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 06, 2019, 08:33:35 PM
Quote from: Davin on May 06, 2019, 04:31:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 30, 2019, 10:36:38 PM
Quote from: Davin on April 30, 2019, 05:56:17 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 30, 2019, 02:41:00 PM
:sad sigh: I'm putting things off for later again.

I've come up with a ritual to try and purge self-sabotaging thoughts from my mind:

1) Get up from the chair;
2) Call a friend;
3) Go downstairs and get something to eat or drink;
4) Eat or drink what I brought;
5) Sift through my playlist to find a good song to listen to while working;
6) Call another friend;
7) Clean the room;
8 ) Do laundry;
9) Take a quick nap;
10) Sit and stare at the monitor;
11) Open Word file;
12) Take another nap;
14) Start working.

Seems to be working so far. :sidesmile:

Looks about like mine. I usually organize things before starting... why would I have my files like this? It looks like a mess, I better clean this up to make things easier. My reference materials are out of order... I should print this out it's only 20 pages...

People definitely underestimate the importance of being in the "zone" mentally, and for some people that just can't happen if there's a speck of dust on the desk. :grin:

...Or that file you named "Lost and Found" where you've been dumping every single thing you think might be important in the future and feel you need to look through some of those...
A whole re-organization of my file system is coming. This time I'm going make the file/folder structure the same on my Laptop and Desktop to make using my external disk back up easier, because then I can use it for both.

I use this free utility to mirror selected folders files automatically at 19:00 every day to a second hard drive in my PC. I've configured it to do incremental backups.

https://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.html

You can even set it to do the mirroring every few minutes for very important files. It's saved my life a few times.
I'll check it out. I back up to the cloud and to an external HDD. But right now my desktop and laptop are alike but still too different. There is no good reason for that, they could be the exact same workspace on two different machines. So that's what I'm going to do.

Plus, there are a lot of files (textures in particular), that I've collected over the years and have gone through many organization schemes and it really needs to be cleaned up.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

It's flared up again. The propensity towards procrastination has spread from my brain to the rest of my body like wildfire, effectively keeping me very low energy and unwilling to do much.

I need to swallow some batteries. :sad sigh:

Icarus

hermes2015

This is completely outside any of my fields of expertise, but I'm guessing that depression could also induce procrastination.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 17, 2019, 05:17:10 AM
This is completely outside any of my fields of expertise, but I'm guessing that depression could also induce procrastination.

It's a feedback loop of the first order. Depression leads procrastination which leads to depression. It can be a nasty downward spiral.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I don't know, but it makes sense. Procrastination can be a form of self-sabotage.

xSilverPhinx

It really helps to listen to music I like to get "in the zone". Today I got a lot of work done. :grin:

xSilverPhinx

I've been procrastinating again. The year has barely started and already I'm failing at keeping one of my resolutions. :(

No one

xSilverPhinx

No one

Let's not rush to judgment. Perhaps postpone reevaluation for a later date.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on January 07, 2020, 01:54:23 AM
Let's not rush to judgment. Perhaps postpone reevaluation for a later date.

You are enjoying this, aren't you? :???:

;D

No one

Let's just say I enjoy humor with a lingering effect.

billy rubin

i zuggezt you sleep on it and reevalute with a clearer head tomorrow

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."