News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Brazil’s National Museum destroyed.

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, September 04, 2018, 12:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Fire destroyed over 11,000 artifacts spanning 20,000 years of history and pre/history. Irreplaceable.  Imagine the Smithsonian or the British Museum being destroyed.  I grieve for Brazil.

xSilverPhinx

It's a great loss. Brazil grieves as well. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Yes, I was very sad at the loss of solid history there. And very moved my tne obvious emotional effect it had on those Brazillians the BBC asked to comment on it.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

As far as I know, nobody knows yet what caused the fire, and whether it was criminal or not. However, some are pointing to the Museum's extremely low budget for building maintenance this year, which kept vital inspections from being carried out. I don't know if this is the case, but it does seem likely.

This economic and political crisis may even be destroying our history, and thus our future in more ways than one. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 05, 2018, 12:59:56 AM
As far as I know, nobody knows yet what caused the fire, and whether it was criminal or not. However, some are pointing to the Museum's extremely low budget for building maintenance this year, which kept vital inspections from being carried out. I don't know if this is the case, but it does seem likely.

This economic and political crisis may even be destroying our history, and thus our future in more ways than one. :(

The minister for the arts seemed to be saying that everyone has a tight belt and the museum should have diversified its marketting to find other ways to raise capital, i.e. it was their fault.. Another said that the poor funding had a 15 year history.

I will admit that some museums are changing their marketting strategy a lot to keep solvent, including the Victoria and Albert - story elsewhere.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74