News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Bad Films

Started by Tank, August 29, 2018, 08:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I didn't like Ad Astra too much either. Is it just me or was it difficult to 'connect' with any of the characters? I just sat there looking at the screen not really giving a fuck about any of them. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 20, 2019, 09:26:01 PM
I didn't like Ad Astra too much either. Is it just me or was it difficult to 'connect' with any of the characters? I just sat there looking at the screen not really giving a fuck about any of them.

I agree. No connection to the characters or their motivations either.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i never saw this one, but when i was a kid in southeast asia the cinemas were full of them

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

Quote from: billy rubin on October 26, 2019, 09:54:49 PM
i never saw this one, but when i was a kid in southeast asia the cinemas were full of them

I love those silly martial arts movies. They are so funny.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

early bruce lee is awful. i saw the big boss in a hot metal building with wall fans when it came to kuala lumpur. before the martial arts movies the action filmz an asia were all medeival chinese knights and warlords, history pieces. they all disappeared and were replaced by kung fu/karate/wing chun.

a sea change, almost overnight

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 27, 2019, 11:23:41 PM
early bruce lee is awful. i saw the big boss in a hot metal building with wall fans when it came to kuala lumpur. before the martial arts movies the action filmz an asia were all medeival chinese knights and warlords, history pieces. they all disappeared and were replaced by kung fu/karate/wing chun.

a sea change, almost overnight

You lived in KL? I was planning to visit my long-distance Malaysian boyfriend there some years ago. We saw each other regularly anyway, because he was a flight attendant on Air Malaysia. But then, as one does, I got involved with someone new, so never went there. I really would have liked to visit the Petronas Towers, though.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i waz there before that, as a teenager. the british had only finally left singapore a few years earlier.

KL waz a wonderful place. monitors and monkeys in the road, mostly all colonial architecture and kampongs. the only two tall buildings were  the  few western hotels and parlimen house. the old structures were all festooned with epiphytes thar drifted in from the jungle.

loved it there.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on October 28, 2019, 12:03:46 PM
i waz there before that, as a teenager. the british had only finally left singapore a few years earlier.

KL waz a wonderful place. monitors and monkeys in the road, mostly all colonial architecture and kampongs. the only two tall buildings were  the  few western hotels and parlimen house. the old structures were all festooned with epiphytes thar drifted in from the jungle.

loved it there.

Sounds like an exotic place. :tellmemore:

billy rubin

all gone now.

like with most anybody who makes it to a certain age, the places i passed through no longer exist.

billy rubin

i don't know whether any of you have seen the fall

tarsem singh

a motion picture made completely without CGI. nothing but traditional camera work, and a vision on the part of the cinematographer.

my family hates it because they say it's morbid, but to me it's a magnificent dream sequence made into a motion picture using a technology already obsolete at the same time as it was a triumph of the art

pain:

grace:

sheer compositional beauty

people tell me that they hate this film. i don't understand why.

joeactor

Quote from: billy rubin on November 05, 2019, 12:05:09 AM
i don't know whether any of you have seen the fall

tarsem singh

a motion picture made completely without CGI. nothing but traditional camera work, and a vision on the part of the cinematographer.

my family hates it because they say it's morbid, but to me it's a magnificent dream sequence made into a motion picture using a technology already obsolete at the same time as it was a triumph of the art

people tell me that they hate this film. i don't understand why.

Visually it reminds me of "Un Chien Andalou" or "Baron Munchhausen". I like the imagery...

No one

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is fanfuckingtastic!

xSilverPhinx

Tank

I had no expectations and thus loved it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2020, 09:46:20 PM
I had no expectations and thus loved it.

The source material is a bit interesting but the movie was odd on so many levels and poorly done even my low expectations were frustrated.